View Diary: Video, Photos: Fired-Up Howard Dean Rips GOP "Crackpots," Kicks Off "Purple to Blue" Campaign (71 comments)

•  What do you do when your state Democratic party (15+ / 0-)

is weak, moribund, herdbound and ignores its fired-up grassroots?

Wisconsin can't get anything happening in the state. The national party thinks it's great that Tammy Baldwin and Obama won, but the state is sinking into permanent red.

We need Howard Dean her to kick some ass.

•  I guess the answer is, you run for office. (4+ / 0-)
      I love OCD, elwior, Onomastic, FarWestGirl

Yeah, I know, easier said than done.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

by bigtimecynic on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 07:16:23 AM PDT

•  A whole crop of newbies ran for office (6+ / 0-)

in WI after Walker was elected.

Less-than-zero support from the state Dems.

It has demoralized everyone. The Dems can't front a strong establishment candidate and won't support a non-establishment candidate. It's lose-lose.

So running for office isn't the solution that can make a difference in the short-to-mid run here. Can't fix the problems that Walker has instituted with illegal gerrymandering, voter suppression and other ALEC-inspired hijinks.

It is horrible to have to admit that only money and establishment politics can make a political difference, but that is the takeaway that many grassroots activists are coming away with.

•  You don't give up. That's what fascist (15+ / 0-)

monsters like Walker,  ALEC,  Kochs, etc. bank on. Dean is targeting your state. He's for real; I worked for his 2004 campaign here in FL. Ain't no state more corrupt than mine. I know he's targeting my state, too.

Some people make u want to change species! --ulookarmless, quoted w/his permission: RIP good man.

by orlbucfan on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 07:40:57 AM PDT

•  That's one cycle. (4+ / 0-)

We aren't good at long views, we think the whole world runs at the speed of Twitter.

Plugging away, fielding good candidates, taking losses and starting all over is the only thing that makes a new approach possible.  You can BE the Dem establishment if you keep pushing, keep working, study the Obama model for organizing and fundraising.

The reason Obama can't fully depend on Senate Dems is that he went outside the establishment and won the fuck out of those elections.  That's the price you pay for being innovative.  It's also the only way we're going to win long-term.

by I love OCD on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:22:20 AM PDT

•  Badscience is right-but we have to keep 'fighting (2+ / 0-)
          elwior, I love OCD

have  to let them know we're still here, and paying attention, like you stated as well oribucfan.

While attending a local dem meeting, said something critical re: the DPW, and was 'taken to task' by someone I thought highly of. Kind of gobsmacked as I stay active-go to MKE and canvass for the WSC race & GOTV locals.

Just hoping Dean strategies are successful, concerned about all of the $$$$$ flowing in post CU. I will continue to work hard to elect progressive-& Democratic candidates.

Educating these people here in Wi is vital b/c our media sucks. It seems, the only way to get these people who still voted for the POS to change their minds is when one of wankers devastating policies affects them, or theirs-on a personal level. Many, will still blame Doyle :(

Badscience & all at OLB are amazing and an inspiration, but I sure understand the need to hear some good news in Wi.

OLB 'HOME OF CRAPPY GOVERNOR' at the Capitol grounds was
          LOLfabulous.

•  Keep fighting. (5+ / 0-)

No retreat, baby, no surrender (to paraphrase my favorite musician Brooooce.) :)

•  you run for local party chair and (7+ / 0-)

then you get on the state committee and you get other like minded Dems to do the same.

it is alot of work and it takes a long long time. that is how the right wingers took over the GOP.

hard work, long hours, and lots of patience.

no quick fixes

•  you join the party and start pushing to do more (3+ / 0-)
      I love OCD, elwior, FarWestGirl

things based on action instead of inaction.  Get your friends to join.
      Just do something, it's better than sitting on the couch watching
      the talking heads on the tee-vee

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." *Ansel Adams* ."Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."*Will Rogers*

by Statusquomustgo on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:03:40 AM PDT

•  You may need to be the (2+ / 0-)
      elwior, FarWestGirl

Howard Dean for your state.  It's a really exhausting process to move local organizations out of the 20th and into the 21st but it's happening in Texas!

It also doesn't hurt to accept the moribund and nudge them gently toward life and enthusiasm.  Progressives get a bad reputation locally by being a little too dismissive of everyone who holds different points of view.  Yes, we want serious change, it behooves us to remember that we haven't succeeded at selling a truly Progressive/Liberal vision to enough people to make us the primary cohort in our party.

by I love OCD on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:15:51 AM PDT

•  You colonize the state Democratic party. (3+ / 0-)
      elwior, FarWestGirl, I love OCD

By that I don't mean run for public office, run for party office. Become the chair of your town party, run for leadership in the state party, bring with you as many progressive Dems as you can muster and take the party back from the ones who sit and do nothing or worse.
      In places where the Dems have a lock, like CT, that's a tough fight because many of the party apparatchiks are deeply embedded, but in a place where the party is weak, getting those seats is much easier.
      Rebuild the party from the ground up.
      That is where the decisions of who will run for public office are made, so that's where progressives need to start.
      The advantage that progressive Dems will find is that we are by far, the majority of the party. Not necessarily of party leadership, but the Rank&File is considerably more liberal than  they are.
      We need more than a 50 state party, we need a 50000 precinct party.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:40:09 AM PDT

•  Support candidates running for office (0+ / 0-)

in other states.