View Diary: Bill O'Reilly: The other side hasn’t been able to do anything but thump the Bible (182 comments)

•  I don't agree (17+ / 0-)

with Megyn Kelly though that the bible says what it says. Personally, I have no horse in the race; as an agnostic, I don't care what some guys far away in a desert wrote thousands of years ago that was subsequently edited over and over through the ages by politically motivated folks. Why should that have an impact on my life today? BUT I do have religious friends, some who have studied original Greek texts, and they don't think the interpretation is correct on this subject. There is enough question that even if you care what the bible says, you shouldn't get this worked up over the gay thing. AND even if you take what some think is the traditional view of what the bible says, OMG, are you marching about other sins? What makes this one such a damn big deal?

It's just stupid.

Get old and do lots of stuff in the process. Half of the fun is trying everything out. --Noddy

by Debby on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:36:45 AM PDT

•  "Original Greek Texts"? (0+ / 0-)

I know a lot of christians like to say they've gone back to the "original Greek texts" but so far none of them have been able to actually point to any such thing.

Maybe your friends can do so, can you ask them and share with us whatever these mysterious original "Greek texts" are?

*The administration has done virtually nothing designed to reward its partisans. - Kos 8/31/10*

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 10:05:50 AM PDT

•  some of the dead sea scrolls are in greek (2+ / 0-)
        Cali Scribe, Debby

-You want to change the system, run for office.

by Deep Texan on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:34:14 AM PDT

•  Yes, and none are biblical. (0+ / 0-)

Some of the text of the Dead Sea Scrolls is written in Greek, but only some of it, and none of it is Biblical.

Some of it is good corollary to Hebrew Bible canon though.

But none of it has anything to do with what most so-called bible scholars are referring to when they talk about "original greek texts", like there are some actual documents out there that are the original writings of, well, anyone at all who purportedly wrote the Bible.

There aren't.

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:46:01 PM PDT

•  Okay, maybe not the "original" (3+ / 0-)
        Debby, SilentBrook, Jay C

but what's come down to us through history -- the texts that have been used to come up with the various translations going back to Gutenberg's printing press and before. Every time a new translation is announced, the publishers make it clear that the authors worked from the original Hebrew/Greek.

When I was in high school, I attended a non-denominational church; I don't remember how conservative they might have been politically (this was the 1970s; the Moral Majority was in its infancy), but the church was very teaching-oriented, and in the "teachings" (they didn't call them sermons) they were meticulous in going back to the Hebrew and Greek sources to look at the context behind various passages. I had a copy of Strong's Exhaustive Concordance on my bookshelves at home, as did many of my fellow youth group members, and they even offered courses in Hebrew and Greek for those who were interested.

by Cali Scribe on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:39:25 AM PDT

•  One of my best friends in high school (0+ / 0-)

was a PK (preacher's kid) and I remember being at her house when her older brother and sister were home from college. They were doing their Greek homework, taken specifically for religious reasons, so I don't understand this "Greek text" thing.

(That was also one of my first lessons in ecumenism as they were Baptist and I was Catholic at the time; I was kind of scared they might stone me when I showed up at their house, but they were the sweetest people! Hee! The stuff kids think.)

by Debby on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:49:29 AM PDT

•  Specifically, (0+ / 0-)

(and I say friend, I should have said acquaintance in this case, although we do have friends in common and we've met on several occasions) a friend of a friend is a pastor, schooled at Bob Jones (!) and Harvard Law. This page has a large collection of his writing on the subject. I read through a lot of them when his church put a billboard campaign up in our town. Before that, I'd heard others talk about such evidence but Pastor Jeff's was the first time I'd seen chapter and verse quoted and studied in depth. Again, makes me no never mind but definitely points up the fluid nature of the transcripts.

Why do you keep putting "Greek texts" in quotations? What are you trying to say by doing that?

by Debby on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:43:37 AM PDT

•  Because there are no "greek texts"... (0+ / 0-)

... in the sense that so-called biblical scholars try to present them.

There are no original documents that people go back to to translate into better and better bibles.

There simply is no such thing.  But it sounds good, so they say it.

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:47:22 PM PDT

•  It's the difference between the (2+ / 0-)
      Debby, SilentBrook

essential truths that endure throughout time, and the parts that were specific to that era of history. For example, back in the Biblical era ailments such as epilepsy and mental health issues were considered signs of demon possession, but science has given us knowledge of how brain chemistry works so that in many cases people who would have been outcast can be treated and live productive lives. And strictures about women being silent in church make no sense when you have women heading corporations and even nations.

by Cali Scribe on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:32:33 AM PDT

•  The Bible describes (0+ / 0-)

a lot of different marriage and procreation arrangements, few of which bear any resemblance to what marriage has looked like in the last century or two.

300 wives and 700 concubines?  Or was that the other way around?  Two daughters getting their father drunk to do the horizontal bop with him?  Paying off the father of the woman you raped and not being allowed to divorce her?  Slaughter all the men, boys and non-virgin women, but keep the virgin girls (at least 2 per soldier) for the victors?

Yeah, please tell my why the bible should be any guide on this issue.