View Diary: Walmart's squeeze on worker hours leaves shelves bare and customers unhappy (72 comments)

•  I keep hearing about empty shelves (5+ / 0-)

But it's not happening around me.  All our stores are well stocked.  I surely would like to know where these empty shelves are located.

If you want to know the real answer: Just ask a Mom.

by tacklelady on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 12:42:15 PM PDT

•  The parking lot in my area (7+ / 0-)

is not crowded at all, which is very unusual, because the snowbirds are still here and they normally pack the store.

The last time we went to that Walmart, except for the Easter part, there were lots of bare shelves.
      They were out of Equate mouthwash and hand soaps.
      The vitamins were depleted.
      Even the dog food shelves were diminished.

All we need is LOVE!

by arizonablue on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 12:49:27 PM PDT

•  I lve in Arizona too (3+ / 0-)

and it depends on whether or not there is a big holiday or party day coming up like the super bowl or Christmas or something like that. Then they will try to stock the shelves as much as possible. Otherwise somethings are always empty.

Right now there isn't any frozen yogurt and hasn't been for a couple of weeks.

Knowledge is Power. Ignorance is not bliss, it is suffering.

by harris stein on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 06:00:38 PM PDT

•  In my experience... (8+ / 0-)

It's not so much that shelves are very empty (like in the article), but some items are completely missing and the shelves in some areas look "toothless".  And in many cases, products are spread around to make the shelves look fuller, with many items not in their correct location.  I never see this at Kroger unless they are in the process of reconfiguring the store.

•  Not that I'm an expert, but, (0+ / 0-)

could some of the empty shelves be the result of all the winter weather going across the north week after week?  Trucks not getting yo distribution centers, etc.

If you want to know the real answer: Just ask a Mom.

by tacklelady on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 04:49:03 PM PDT

•  I was thinking this, too... (0+ / 0-)

Not just that trucks could not get to the stores with new product, but that certain types of product that normally has a run during bad weather might be out, too - from food staples to rock salt and windshield scrapers, extra baby formula and diapers because who wants to be without that when you can't get to the stores, etc.,

•  I live in San Antonio, Texs and our local WalMart (0+ / 0-)

has 10+ customers in line at checkouts during the post supper/dinner hours, massive open shelves (I actually thought they were flipping around the locations of goods on the shelf and must have it all in a cart somewhere.), and virtual walls of pallets with shrinkwrapped goods on them at pretty much all hours.  This has been the SOP since Christmas.

And here I thought it was just my bad luck with a crappy Wal-Mart by me.

3.3 million Texans voted for Obama in 2012....3.4 million Texans voted for Not Ted Cruz for Senate....give us a break!.

by mkoz on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 05:27:11 PM PDT

•  I second this concern (1+ / 0-)
      HawkWife

I live in an area (SE MA) where WalMarts are about 30 miles apart.
      I don't see any problems at all.
      Are all of these problem stores in the SunBelt?

Don't be a DON'T-DO... Be a DO-DO!

by godwhataklutz on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 06:07:28 PM PDT

•  Houghton, Michigan (0+ / 0-)

The super store here is pathetic. Not much of a selection unless you like the Great Value brand or whatever it is.

•  I'm wondering the same thing (0+ / 0-)

The Walmarts in my neck of the woods are the same way.  I wonder if the understocking is only affecting certain areas of the country...?

Certe, toto, sentio nos in kansate non iam adesse.

by HawkWife on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 06:48:17 PM PDT

•  Not so much empty as understocked (0+ / 0-)

One near me (Virginia DC suburbs) had full shelves, but mostly full of things few people would care to own; clothes in too large or small of sizes, video games that came out last year to "meh" reviews, no music for sale outside the top 40, and even then sometimes missing a few, selection on groceries is minimal, and even more so on fresh groceries like meats and fresh fruit.

Not quite '70s Soviet supermarket, but I'll say this: the Target locations nearby don't have any of these problems.  Probably because they had a more rational growth strategy.

All your vote are belong to us.

by Harkov311 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 06:52:38 PM PDT