View Diary: Taibbi – “Cruel and Unusual Punishment: The Shame of Three Strikes Laws” (38 comments)

•  Let's call it an "Acknowledged Corporatocracy" (15+ / 0-)

...or, even better, as someone mentioned it in a post or comment here over the past 48 hours: "The Re-Gilded Age." (Basically, I agree with your sentiments!)

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:49:08 AM PDT

•  YOU WHAT?!?! (7+ / 0-)

I change mind...  If you don't want to do the time then don't crime.  And that goes quadruply for those poor, low educated non-white males of a darker shade who come from drug infected neighborhoods and who has had almost every male in their family imprisoned, in prison or murdered...

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing online commenters that they have anything to say.-- B.F.

by lcj98 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 12:00:11 PM PDT

•  I checked-out your profile before I rec'd comment (2+ / 0-)
        elwior, Horace Boothroyd III

...which is a good thing to do (when reading something that says things "in all sorts of wrong," and "begs" for an h.r., at least to the point where you're wondering where the snark tag is).

by bobswern on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 12:13:24 PM PDT

•  Gee thanks! (4+ / 0-)

Way to ruin the mystery!!  Dammit Bob...  this why we never tell you ANYTHING.

by lcj98 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 12:29:00 PM PDT

•  Stating the obvious... (2+ / 0-)
            elwior, Horace Boothroyd III

...truth be told, in the real world I constantly have to check my propensity for GULLIBILITY!!! (And, this from a guy who grew up in a large city.) For a moment, I really was ready to h.r. the crap out of that...and I've been blogging here for almost 7 years.

by bobswern on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 12:37:52 PM PDT

•  ... (3+ / 0-)

Out if curiosity, why would you?  Darker skinned minorities are treated more harshly by law enforcement and the criminal justice system.

by lcj98 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 01:31:15 PM PDT

•  Like I said... (1+ / 0-)
                elwior

...on the surface, without looking at any other comments (didn't even realize you had posted a comment up the thread until a minute after reading the second one), it was a natural reaction to want to h.r. it. Then I looked at your profile after seeing the comment up the thread...etc., etc.

Perhaps you should read your comment (in question) again...by itself, without ANY other context--and not including the previous comment upthread...it speaks for itself as to why it's h.r.'able. The fact that people of color are discriminated against, profiled, stopped and frisked, arrested and incarcerated, etc., etc. moreso than caucasians is a sad/twisted reality and reflection of the institutionalized oppression and racism that's been ingrained in U.S. society since...forever.

by bobswern on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 02:34:06 PM PDT