View Diary: $43,286 (134 comments)

•  Now wait a minute. (3+ / 0-)
    ridemybike, Shockwave, Eileen B
    I am a 62 year old male who was laid off from my job two years ago. Because of the lay off, I lost my health insurance. In the two years since the lay off I have been unable to find an insurance company that will take me, because of my age and a pre-existing condition of heart decease and high blood pressure.
    After six months of being uninsured you could have gotten insurance through the PCIP program (Federal Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Program).

If you could have afforded insurance from a regular insurance company (presumably you could have, otherwise why would you have been looking) then you could have afforded the PCIP premiums, which in general were less than for comparable private insurance.

I am not trying to be unsympathetic to your plight, and I dearly wish we had universal health insurance here in the US, but may I inquire as to why you did not get PCIP insurance?

(Alas, it is now too late to apply, since enrollment has been suspended)

•  fwiw (8+ / 0-)

.... I only recently found out about that kind of insurance...
      and now... it's too late.

thankfully I don't have any serious pre-existing conditions
      but had a bad bicycle crash last year been worse
      I'd be sh*t out of luck.

could've, should've, would've.... and all.

I know you didn't mean to sound preachy or insensitive
      but many of us.... even right here at daily kos...
      didn't even know about such insurance

every adult is responsible for every child

by ridemybike on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 05:21:32 PM PDT

•  That's sad. (3+ / 0-)
        Shockwave, Eileen B, ridemybike

I published a couple of diaries that hit the rec list about it.   I don't recall if there were front-page diaries about it.

Regardless, the program was sorely under-advertised in general.

•  This is a big problem with the ACA, too. (6+ / 0-)

Polls have shown that uninsured people who stand to benefit the most from the ACA are also the most uninformed about how it can actually help them.

Messaging is great, but effective implementation of these policies is dependent upon people being aware that these resources are available to them.

I think one of the main challenges to progressives is being able to communicate in simple language how these federal programs (with their various acronyms) can help people in their everyday lives.

Legalized corruption is destroying our democracy.

by geodemographics on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:44:11 PM PDT

•  The program is closed now (5+ / 0-)

So many people applied that they had to stop taking new applications.

In some states (and yes, they let the states manage it) the cost was quite high.  In our state, for a person the diarist's age, the premium was close to $500 per month. Certainly better than nothing, but still too expensive for many folks.

It is an old strategy of tyrants to delude their victims into fighting their battles for them. FDR

by Betty Pinson on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 07:41:52 PM PDT

•  I applied- (4+ / 0-)

And simply couldn't afford the cost, even when the Health Secretary Kathleen what's her name made them reduce the costs.   I would have loved to have it but it was still not in my budget no matter how I crunched the numbers.

Uninsured cancer survivor

by ArtemisBSG on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:00:41 PM PDT

•  The tragedy of farming ACA out to the states (2+ / 0-)
          zaka1, kareylou

Once they started allowing GOP and Conservadem governors to get their foot in the door, parts of ACA are beginning to unravel.

It's been the main  GOP  strategy to destroy ACA, so WH compromising only makes it worse.

Some day, we'll have single payer.  In the meantime, I'm looking forward to Medicare in several years.  It can't com soon enough.  Even though we have a decent income, and in spite of ACA, I think there's a good chance health insurance will become too expensive for my hubs and I before we reach Medicare eligibility age.

by Betty Pinson on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:13:48 PM PDT

•  I think your blaming (3+ / 0-)

the victim in this health crisis, perhaps you didn't mean to sound that way.  But, having a pre-existing condition I had to go on the federal insurance program because I couldn't get insured.  But, it wasn't affordable as it sounds, I could no longer work, and waiting for disability, but the premiums for someone like me were running around $1,200.00 a month.  And as the diarist explained he was having a hard time affording his meds.  I wish people truly understood that when your income is cut off for whatever reason it get very tight very quickly and shelling out even an extra $200 to $500 bucks a month is just not possible.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 12:07:56 AM PDT

•  No PCIP premium came close to being (1+ / 0-)
        zaka1

$1200 per month that I am aware of, except maybe in Alaska.  For example, in California, rates for a 60-64 year old were a little over $500/month. The PCIP program often gets confused with previously-existing state pre-existing condition plans, some of which did cost that much.

The diarist specifically said he was looking for private insurance.

If he thought he could have afforded private insurance then he could have afforded a PCIP premium.
        I'm not saying he could have afforded either, but if he could have afforded the former (which he implied) he could have afforded the latter, so it is extremely unfortunate that, for whatever reason, he didn't apply to the PCIP program.

I am not trying to blame the victim.  I am saddened that he was not aware of the program and dismayed that, despite my and others best efforts on this site, we were not able to make him aware of the program when he needed it.

How many others in similar situations suffered unnecessarily or even died?  It is dismaying.

•  Honestly, (0+ / 0-)

I know you not trying to blame the victim, but I'm going to sick with what I said above, even two or three hundred dollars a month for insurance is still a steep step for many.  I know a lot of people find it hard to believe that such amount is difficult for people to pay out monthly, but it is.  I went to a gathering for people with MS and there was one woman there that had MS, but was not getting medical care because she couldn't afford the insurance premiums.  I sent her the whole website about getting insurance for as little as two to three hundred dollars, but she still couldn't afford it.  And I don't think a lot of people understand how little extra money others have for insurance especially for what it costs just to keep a roof over you head and you home heated (and I'm not talking about keeping your themo at 72).

This last cold spell we had I kept my themostat at 65 and I still had a $175.00 heating and electric bill.  And now my car is in the shop which will be $500.00 and there goes the money I was saving for an eye exam and glasses.  Even Medicare B is costing around $200.00 and I would love to drop that and pay for other things I need.  But, that extra two hundred bucks a month just kills.

by zaka1 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 02:45:32 PM PDT