Skip to main content

View Diary: Do you have your birth certificate? (250 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Why do you even want the actual SS card? (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:

    Isn't the number good enough?

    •  The number is good enough for SSA (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:

      You don't need a card to apply for Social Security. Just the number.

      •  But you do need the ss card to apply (1+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:

        for social security retirement.   I applied online last year and guess what?  Appointment with SS office.  I had to produce divorce papers, marriage license, Raised seal birth certificate and I already had the Real ID.  

        Before I move back to Florida I obtained my Birth Certificate, I always had my card, and got all my identification in order and it was still a hassle.   I keep that stuff stashed in a SAFE.  Adoption paper ..same thing.. Safe.  I would have a time if I had to get a passport considering I do not have my immunzation records and allergic to most everything they did give me.

        since I am the go to person here.. I got EVERYONE in ths family's Certified BC.  The cost was quite expensive for everyone because copies are not vald....Just the real deal.

        We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

        by Vetwife on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 11:00:35 AM PDT

        [ Parent ]

        •  I don't even know what a "raised seal" (1+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:

          birth certificate is. I've had the same copy for 50 years. Shortly I will have to have it amended, because I have never used the name on it in my adult life. This hasn't bee a problem for almost 50 years. Everyone from the IRS to my university to my bank to DailyKos knows me by the name I've always used. But when I worked a temporary government job last year, it turned out I had to briefly use a name nobody knows me by. So I have a court date on April 11 to change it legally. At that point I will also have to have my drivers license and SS card changed, especially the former. I have a trip planned in early May and would not have been able to get on a plane, since my credit card and drivers license don't match.

          A "raised seal" birth certificate is new to me. Is this something they actually issue in Cook County, Illinois or maybe just in other places?

          Jon Husted is a dick.

          by anastasia p on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 12:28:43 PM PDT

          [ Parent ]

          •  Raised Seal is certificate with an embossed seal (2+ / 0-)
            Recommended by:
            Vetwife, ladybug53

            Because if you wanted to fake a birth certificate there is just no possible way to just fake the embossed seal.


            "That being said, I do agree I am going to hell. But for other reasons. Mostly boring tax stuff ' Amy Pohler

            by Annie B on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 12:48:16 PM PDT

            [ Parent ]

            •  Thanks Annie (1+ / 0-)
              Recommended by:

              Yeah,,,,just a protection to make sure we liberals were not
              beamed in on Star Trek.  You know how they love to project and how they want to see EVERYONES Birth Certificate.   They are not normal and  never want to see the pics of you or me in the Woodstock Festival or dancing with the shade on our heads.  They legislate more work for us  and it gives them the happy happy joy joy feeling,

              We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

              by Vetwife on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 01:47:41 PM PDT

              [ Parent ]

        •  No you do not need the card. (1+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          Oh Mary Oh

          I did not see in your post where you mentioned the need for a card except in the subject line.

          You definitely do not need the card itself. The number yes. Card, no.

          Under certain circumstances you may need BC, divorce papers, etc..., but you do not need your card.

          •  to correct errors in social security records (0+ / 0-)

            and get a new record with all data points: current name, date of birth, where born, and current id like a drivers license. That squares your record of your social security number with the valid name on your claim. To get a job, you need a social security card. The only place you need to carry the card is in to show a new employer. Otherwise, leave the ss card at home and if possible, never carry the number with you in your wallet or purse.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (183)
  • Community (81)
  • Baltimore (76)
  • Bernie Sanders (57)
  • Civil Rights (47)
  • Freddie Gray (43)
  • Elections (35)
  • Culture (34)
  • Hillary Clinton (32)
  • Law (29)
  • Racism (28)
  • Labor (27)
  • Education (24)
  • Economy (24)
  • 2016 (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Politics (22)
  • Rescued (22)
  • Texas (21)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site