View Diary: Obama issues Executive Order to investigate voter suppression (212 comments)

•  Again, guilt by association (0+ / 0-)

Name one "voter suppression strategy" with which Ginsberg was involved.

•  Pressuring Ohio (0+ / 0-)

on early voting.  I live here, so I know.  Illegal or no it was unethical to say the least.

Anyone who lies like he did on the SBVT is a scumbag of the highest order, not someone to be taken seriously or given a position of responsibility.

Hey, its only fair. If you choose to base your professional reputation on dishonesty and dirty tricks, you shouldn't be surprised that you'll miss out on opportunities reserved for honest, professional people.  You can't have both. You're either someone who can be trusted and respected or you can play dirty and cash in.

Commissions to review serious issues like voting rights are reserved for respectable, trustworthy people, not rogue actors.  But, hey, there's nothing to stop the scumbags from expressing their opinions or providing input via the news media, on a blog or by writing a letter or submitting testimony to the Commission.

It is an old strategy of tyrants to delude their victims into fighting their battles for them. FDR

by Betty Pinson on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 10:00:08 AM PDT

•  The Romney campaign was. (0+ / 0-)

I haven't seen an article that claimed that he was, as opposed to whoever their Ohio lawyers were.

We differ on what a lawyer's obligations to a client are, and what client actions are attributable back.

•  He's a dirty, crooked man (2+ / 0-)
          Dallasdoc, lostinamerica

His CV is littered with evidence.

Have some self-respect and hold yourself to a higher standard than unethical, base people like Ginsberg.  Democrats are supposed to be better than GOP dirty tricksters and ratfuckers.

Don't drag our party into the gutter by associating with these people. Too many Democrats (myself included) have worked our asses off to make it a reputable organization.  Show some respect and appreciation for your fellow Democrats and keep our party on the high road.  Don't wallow in GoP filth.

by Betty Pinson on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 10:45:37 AM PDT

•  The Florida 2000 recount (1+ / 0-)
      lostinamerica

I think we can all agree that a complete recount would have declared Gore the winner.  Ginsberg was one of the main drivers of the Bush  campaign's squelching of that recount.  Does that meet your standard for a voter suppression strategy, stealing a presidential election?

Citizens United defeated by citizens, united.

by Dallasdoc on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 11:35:05 AM PDT

•  I think of voter suppression as ex ante, not post (0+ / 0-)

But we can certainly agree that we thought the results were bad.

•  I understand your point (2+ / 0-)
          lostinamerica, Zinman

... but in my non-legal opinion, disenfranchising a majority of the nation's voters by stealing a presidential election is voter suppression too, of a scale I don't recall seeing in this country in its history.

Citizens United defeated by citizens, united.

by Dallasdoc on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 12:05:03 PM PDT

•  a few points (1+ / 0-)
            Adam B

First, I looked into the Florida situation at the time. Whether Gore would have won depended on the standard used to judge ballots.  In some, but not all, of the standards, Gore would have won.

Second, I would expect someone like Ginsberg to pursue a particular legal avenue to benefit the Republicans.  After all, he is on that side.

That makes him partisan but not necessarily evil or dishonest.

I am not saying that he should be on the commission, just that him fighting to win Florida does not rule him out from my perspective.

Of course, there may be other dirt on him

Blake: I am an enemy of the Federation but it is corrupt and oppressive. I will destroy it if I can

by GideonAB on Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 04:30:00 PM PDT

•  Exactly (0+ / 0-)

Folks here seem to want an imaginary Republican who never represented a "bad" Republican or conservative cause, which they'd label as "anyone but Jon Huntsman."

•  evidence (0+ / 0-)

I hope the difference between us and Republicans, is that we are careful to look at the evidence.

I see little tactical advantage in the Democratic party becoming as sloppy in evaluating the evidence as Glenn Beck.

If we do not want Glenn Beck accusing Soros without cause, we should set the example in our analysis of Ginsberg.

I recommend the episode "A Man Alone" of Deep Space Nine