View Diary: DKos Tour Series: Grand Canyon National Park Hiking Trails (Addenda) (55 comments)

•  I Am A Hiker, Walker (7+ / 0-)

I spend a lot of time in remote places. I am to the right of the Mississippi. I've been out once or twice to West and never to the places you posted those pics from. Wow. Wow. Just wow.

I wish I could go for a walk with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:35:17 AM PDT

•  funny you should mention this. . . (7+ / 0-)

because I am thinking of having a meet 'n greet for our community sometime in July, at the South Rim. I'll  conduct the tour spiel stuff and you guys. . .please don't feed the squirrels and such. That'll be all there is to it. Let's see if I can pull it off and make a plan of action. Meanwhile, thanks for your enthusiastic comment, webranding.

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 12:29:10 PM PDT

•  If you do this I will come! (3+ / 0-)
        dsb, RiveroftheWest, helpImdrowning

I hope to god I have the vacation time and funds to do it, because I would love this. Its a long way from New York, but I don't care!

•  there is that to consider. . . (3+ / 0-)
          jbob, RiveroftheWest, helpImdrowning

and the other fact of life, RadicalParrot, you already know: you only get one go-around on the earthly plane, so, yes, by all means, find yourself out this way, and you being the geologist sleuth that you are. . .I guarantee you the upper two-third layers of the Grand Canyon is the most prized Paleozoic Era open textbook of geology. Then below, there in the inner gorge, you get yourself into 'deep time,' the basement rocks, and wait until you see the Great Unconformity up close and personal like: 1.2 billion years of missing time revealed in about an inch between the Precambrian and Cambrian rocks. There...does this whet your whistle and appetite to come see for yourself???

by richholtzin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 04:29:17 PM PDT

•  I was already sold. (2+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, helpImdrowning

Between the ability to satiate my geologic curiosity and the possibility of hiking with other DKers... what could be better?

You don't need to tease me.

•  you might even consider. . . (4+ / 0-)

going with the best and the safest and most knowledgeable: the Grand Canyon Field Institute. I have led many classes for the institute and I can't tell you how many times I heard from the students (average age about 44 years) how they didn't mind paying the bucks for the educational tour, because the instructors were sure not to get 'em lost. Seriously. Anyway, in all my years leading classes I have never, ever once met a rude, bad field institute trekker. I swear. Of course, the only downside to hiking with me was they had to put up with my trail humor and jokes and a truck-load of information throughout the week. But, yes, if you can round up some DKos trekkers, such as the ones that are presently commenting on this hiking supplement, by all means hookup and meet-up. What a splendid way to go about it. (And for some personal info about doing just that write to me via my profile email address and give you the nitty gritty of how best to get these sort of trips organized.

by richholtzin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 04:36:22 PM PDT

•  You have roped me in. (3+ / 0-)

I have a life mission to visit the Grand Canyon now. It will happen.

But also you have helped inspire me to explore my own neck of the woods. I've done some of that before, but there is so much more I can see and learn.. and so much more of the northeast than the finger lakes region.

Alone, probably, but I'm trying to hook some friends into it too... I want to explore this region and learn everything there is to learn about its geological history. I'm truly inspired at this point... and really motivated. That doesn't happen often.

Please let us keep in touch. Your passion for natural history has inspired me and awakened something in me I have never felt before. When (not if, but when) I make it out your way, I will have to insist we meet.

Thank you.

•  you're on. . .once an educator. . . (2+ / 0-)
                  RiveroftheWest, helpImdrowning

always an educator. I've had my kicks over many, many years, and got paid for it, and got to meet some of the greatest people on the planet doing it. Anyway, I sent you a message earlier on your profile email account. We'll hook up that-a-way. And I am very happy you found some inspiration along the way. i never really know how these diaries might affect some folks, but apparently with you ...I do. And I am flattered!

by richholtzin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:25:42 PM PDT

•  July? Isn't it super hot then? (2+ / 0-)
        jbob, RiveroftheWest

I would like to come if it isn't.

•  Always warm in the inner canyon, dsb. . . (7+ / 0-)

actually about 30 degrees warmer compared to the rim. But June is traditionally the hottest and driest month. July at least begins the monsoons, though these have been rather stingy since the prolonged Southwest drought set in sometime around the early to mid-90s. Here's the other caveat you might want to think about: leave damn early and get to where you're going and that way you beat the heaviest heat. And inner canyon temps can average about 110 to 120 degrees, with an added kick from the radiating temps of the inner canyon gorge. If you're not used to heat, rethink your season when you want to come and hike. Late October thru late March or early April is premier.

by richholtzin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 04:26:40 PM PDT

•  I will be there!! (2+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, helpImdrowning

when?

"Seneca Falls and Selma and Stonewall" - President Obama, January 20, 2013

by savano66 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:33:28 PM PDT

•  you mean a rendezvous. . . (5+ / 0-)

for the DKos community out somewhere on the rim of the canyon? Well, let me call the park super and tell him there may be 50K folks coming to see and hear the other side of the canyon story (my silly humor). And here's one to start off: What did the Grand Canyon (upper layer) rock say to the passing sculpture? "You wouldn't take me for granite, would you?"

See what I told you! And they go down from there, I'm told.

by richholtzin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:55:49 PM PDT

•  that would be awesome (2+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, helpImdrowning

Your series has inspired me--I'll be spending a couple of days in the area next month, but it's a very do-able trip up from Phoenix, and in July it would be a welcome respite from the valley heat.

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

by puzzled on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:16:31 PM PDT

•  And what trail. . . (4+ / 0-)

would be hiking, puzzled, when you get to the South Rim? It's about a 4 to 5-hour haul up I17 connecting to Hwy. 180 (or Hwy 64, at Williams) and straight into the South Rim. If you're just going for a day hike and want to avoid the usual summer trekker crowds on the Bright Angel, try either the Grandview Trail down to Horseshoe Mesa (lots of history on that mesa), or the South Kaibab to Skeleton Point, or even the Hermit Trail down to, say, Columbus Point, or such. But if you really want to hoof it, then see if you have the stamina for a Phantom Ranch run, down the South Kaibab, and take the BA back, because there's water available along the way (at select places) and its shady. Not so the So. Kaibab. July gets a bit muggy but June's behind you (the hottest month). If I can be of further assistance, catch me on my profile email and I'll be glad to help (but not with the funds. . .I'm so poor I can hardly pay attention these years)!

by richholtzin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:21:56 PM PDT

RiveroftheWest, helpImdrowning

We've booked a couple nights in Flagstaff (thank you, Groupon!), and depending on time and energy level, we'll see how far we get.

Last time I was at the Grand Canyon I ended up carrying a very tired and footsore four-year-old up the Bright Angel.  I was much, much younger then.

Thank you for the information and inspiration.

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

by puzzled on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:30:59 PM PDT

•  that's quite a feat. . . (4+ / 0-)

toting a kid up the trail. I have seen that lots of times and I sure do admire parents who do that sort of thing, because their kids are getting a real education in more ways than one. And thanks for reminding me about Groupon. I forgot about those folks and sometimes they have outrageous deals. By the way, I used to live in Flag for quite some time and you'll be glad to know you can sleep on or near Rt 66, the less expensive places, and no more train noise. They're not allowed to blow 'em. So, a quieter night's sleep, at least, and on the fairly cheap. Write a diary when you return and share with the rest of us. Remember: always carry the three things a professional guide never leaves home without. . .1) duct tape; 2) vitamin-I (Ibuprofen or similar), and utter balm. The rest is just baggage. HA!

by richholtzin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 07:23:03 PM PDT