View Diary: Senate Rejects Plan to Change Formula to Set (and Lower ) Social Security Benefits (67 comments)

•  So far the GOP has refused to take Obama up on (3+ / 0-)
    maryabein, JesseCW, 3goldens

cuts to Social Security and Medicare. It seems to be Obama who wants to cut Social Security. This is not over. The Senate vote was empty posturing for fundraising purposes.

48forEastAfrica - Donate to Oxfam> "It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness." Edna St.V. Millay

by slouching on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 02:44:16 AM PDT

•  you know I am getting past tired of people (0+ / 0-)

blaming Obama for things he can not control.

Congress passes legislature not the President so if you really really want SS to be taken out of any negotiating why are you not after Congress?

Why instead does it all fall on Obama? Frankly makes me wonder if it's more about setting him up to fail then anything else

In the time that I have been given,
      I am what I am

by duhban on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:02:26 AM PDT

•  The President can't control whether the President (4+ / 0-)
        allenjo, 3goldens, lunachickie, PhilJD

proposes cuts to Social Security.

Everyone knows that.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:21:53 AM PDT

•  the president could propose (0+ / 0-)

that we should all paint ourselves purple and swear alligance to the great pizza god

It would mean about as much as anything else that he is proposing.

Congress is where bills get passed.

Everyone should know that but then education has been slipping for a while

In the time that I have been given,
          I am what I am

by duhban on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:53:15 PM PDT

•  It's a wonder (1+ / 0-)
            JesseCW

that we even care who is President, they're so helpless.

The reason Chained CPI is on the table is that the President put it there. He wants it. That's why he appointed the Catfood Commission. This is his baby.

I do put it on Congress. I will hold them responsible if it happens. But I don't think we would be in danger of it happening without him pushing it.

Obama's a lame duck anyway. He didn't care about the opinions of progressives when he was facing an election - he certainly doesn't care now. I'm advising everyone to focus on Congress and forget about calling the White House. Its ears are closed to us.

We decided to move the center farther to the right by starting the whole debate from a far-right position to begin with. - Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay

by denise b on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:31:04 PM PDT

•  that's a lovely strawman (0+ / 0-)

wake me when you have something of substance

In the time that I have been given,
              I am what I am

by duhban on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 07:22:41 PM PDT

•  I don't even know (0+ / 0-)

what you're talking about.  I wasn't even arguing any point - merely expressing my opinion that I hold all of them accountable but am focusing my own efforts on Congress which I believe is still open to pressure on this issue.

Where's the strawman? If your point was that Congress is accountable then I was agreeing with you. Or did you want people to completely absolve the White House?

by denise b on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 01:44:03 PM PDT

•  pretty much most of your comment (0+ / 0-)

is a strawman

Obama might be willing to concede on chained CPI but it's not 'his idea' any more then the sequester was or the monsato rider was. But that never stops the 'critics' from buying into the GOP's lies

That said I agree we need to concentrate on Congress because while I do think the Tea Party utterly insane they have driven their party better then we have but that's only becuase they are unified and turn out.

In the time that I have been given,
                  I am what I am

by duhban on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 03:51:52 PM PDT

•  Congress has 535 hands in the Presidents backside (0+ / 0-)

making him move his jaws.

Everyone should know that.

by JesseCW on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 08:40:23 PM PDT

•  maybe duhban, it falls on him because he said..... (4+ / 0-)
        orlbucfan, 3goldens, lunachickie, PhilJD

“The president has said this to the Republicans: ‘You want to do entitlement reform? I do, too. I can produce entitlement reform and bring Democrats to the table, because I am a Democratic president. And so I’m ready to sit down with you and work out an approach,’ ” Senator Richard J. Durbin of Illinois, a Democratic leader, said at a recent forum hosted by The Wall Street Journal.

Obama for things he can not control.

Are you saying that Obama can not control what he says? Who is making him say these things?

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:42:30 AM PDT