View Diary: House GOP proposes eliminating overtime pay for workers in exchange for family friendly sack of sh!t (98 comments)

•  merrywidow - yes, it is paid time off (9+ / 0-)

The big issue is what if you don't, or can't, take the time off because of scheduling constraints? Is there a catch up each year when you are paid in cash if you haven't been able to schedule the time off? I know some service businesses where comp time is used and it works because the rules treat the employees fairly. Any unused comp time is paid in December.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 08:22:20 AM PDT

•  I don't think it's paid. (2+ / 0-)

The comp time you're familiar with may be paid due to company policy, or state or local law. But I think the comp time proposed in the GOP bill would be unpaid.

"The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

by HeyMikey on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 08:37:11 AM PDT

•  Mikey - I don't think so (1+ / 0-)
        TheDuckManCometh

You have worked the hours, for which you would have been paid and have traded that for time off with pay. I am unaware of any proposal where you trade paid hours work for unpaid leave, and don't think that is a part of the GOP plan. I don't think even the GOP members of Congress would vote for such an idea.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 09:03:42 AM PDT

•  That's the fair thing. Don't know if that's what (0+ / 0-)

this bill would do, however.  Given it's Republicans proposing this, they'd probably be unpaid and employees trying to take these hours would be entirely at the mercy of their employers - for example, they would probably have restrictions against taking these days without a week's notice and limited to taking at most four hours at a time - not a full day off.

•  Tim, we will have to read the bill (2+ / 0-)
            ColoTim, HeyMikey

Comp time is a good idea as long as there is a requirement that by the end of the year any comp time not taken is paid in cash, preferably at time and a half.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 11:30:11 AM PDT

•  Paid when you work, not when you take off? (0+ / 0-)

I think this is how it would work:

Let's say I work 40 hours this week, and then my boss wants me to work 8 more hours. My boss will have to pay me, but not at the overtime rate of 150%; he'll just have to pay me at the regular rate of 100%.

Then I'll get to take the other 50% in comp time. That is, in addition to getting regular pay for those 8 hours, I'll get 4 hours off.

I suppose it doesn't much matter whether you get paid when you work or later, as long as you get paid eventually (once a year, at termination, whatever) for accumulated overtime. The key thing is that it gets the owner off the hook for any pay at 150%, and deprives the employee of the chance to make any pay at 150%.

by HeyMikey on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 11:58:38 AM PDT

•  Mikey - I think there are lots of variations (1+ / 0-)
                HeyMikey

of comp time is this the one in the bill? If the comp time isn't taken is the additional 50% paid in cash? That's a required feature or it isn't fair to the employees. It would be too easy to say "we are too busy for you to take your comp time".

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 01:04:22 PM PDT

•  I think we need to read the doggone bill... (1+ / 0-)
                  VClib

I hate it when it turns out we need to know what we're talking about....

Swamped today, just checking in occasionally, don't have time to get my shit together, thus apparently just adding to confusion. My apologies.

If you (or any Kossack reading this) has time to, um, you know, get the facts, I'd love to read them.

by HeyMikey on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 01:21:26 PM PDT

•  Nope. (1+ / 0-)
                HeyMikey

You work 48 hours this week, you get paid for 40 and you get 8 hours of comp time.  Next month, you take off one 8-hour day, and you use that 8 hours of comp time, and are paid at the base rate for 40 hours, though you only worked for 32.

•  No (2+ / 0-)
            FG, VClib

I don't know what level of critical thinking happens around here, but a proposal whereby you convert paid overtime hours into unpaid leave is laughable on its face.

The real proposal is one that turns paid overtime into paid leave.

•  My company refused to pay overtime beginning (4+ / 0-)
          Eyesbright, VClib, HeyMikey, rlb

in the 1990s. Instead, we got comp time, but in some departments it was often hard to collect it because the paper was just stripped bare of employees by our corporate ownership. I was in sports, so summer was our down time and I often took much of the summer off.

That said, it was paid time off. If I had a week of comp time coming and could take it I still got paid for that week. My biggest issue was how they calculated it. I had managers insist that it was 1-for-1 while I always took it at 1 hour for 1.5 hours because, hey, it was overtime work and that's the overtime rate.

•  It's definitely paid. (1+ / 0-)
        Chitownliberal7

It's paid leave.  Why the fuck would someone work extra for no pay so that they can take off later for no pay?

Furthermore, since it's time worked, the employee -must- be paid for it if they're seperated from the employer before it has been taken.

• Recommended (148)
  • Economy (19)
  • Rescued (18)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Barack Obama (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site