View Diary: Saturday Morning Garden Blogging Vol. 9.7 (313 comments)

•  blue and lavender?? (4+ / 0-)
    estreya, welso, jayden, RiveroftheWest

LOL... I'd have to go back out to check on the names.  They did at least have labels!  :D

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 01:28:12 PM PDT

•  Lovely. (4+ / 0-)
      kishik, welso, jayden, RiveroftheWest

I'm planning to get a white one like the one Welso has (unless my memory fails - maybe it was you who had the white!).

•  I had a beautiful white.... (4+ / 0-)
        estreya, welso, jayden, RiveroftheWest

i think the leaf blowers killed it.

I also had a vibrant huge pink... which god only knows if it will come up again this year (it's in the front yard)... and then a soft pink with a poof is the one that I DO see pushing up some growth (the one that I protected by fencing it up so the leaf blowers couldn't hit it)

But the ones I picked up for $5 are in like gallon sized pots.  I should probably put them in the ground since they're in bud.

by kishik on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 03:13:02 PM PDT

•  I have two white ones. (4+ / 0-)
        estreya, kishik, jayden, RiveroftheWest

This is the older one ('Wada's Primrose'), which came with the house and is along the side fence. It blooms first and is already 4 feet tall this season.

photo 051510019.jpg

This one ('Henryi') has historically climbed up and smothered the corner of the garage.  It got stomped on when the garage got painted last year, and I worried that it was dead.  But over the weekend I saw a couple of little shoots.  :-)  Cross your fingers and hope it recovers!

photo 090310003.jpg

photo 022.jpg

•  Yes, yes ... oh ... so glorious. (4+ / 0-)
          welso, kishik, jayden, RiveroftheWest

That bottom photograph is astounding.

•  The second one.... (4+ / 0-)
          jayden, estreya, RiveroftheWest, welso

Is the one i think is gone. :-(

by kishik on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:59:15 PM PDT

•  Gorgeous! (4+ / 0-)
          estreya, RiveroftheWest, welso, kishik

Clematis are really tenacious so yours should come back.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:19:52 PM PDT

•  I have hope (4+ / 0-)
            jayden, estreya, RiveroftheWest, kishik

because this plant got broken off at ground level about 10 years ago (during the previous garage painting) and came back.  I hope it has the energy for a second comeback in it.

•  I'm in the "it will come back" camp too ... (4+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest, kishik, jayden, welso

Remember when i was sure i'd killed my monster of an evergreen clematis because it was overflowing the corner and i wanted to retrain it into a trellis?  It came back, and is already overgrown to the point where the trellis is invisible and i need to think about additional support!  Once it blooms, i'm going to cut it back again in the hopes that it can sustain such brutal treatment annually.  So i think yours will come back.

Meanwhile, the clematis in the front that i'm also pretty sure you inspired me to buy (it's a purple Jackmanii i think?) is also sprouting like mad, and i kind of wish i'd clipped that back to the ground at some point.  It, too, is sort of flopping over the trellis already with the shoots that have popped high up out of seemingly dead wood from last year.

Keep the faith!

•  I see nada... (4+ / 0-)
                RiveroftheWest, estreya, jayden, welso

on mine.  :(

I do see growth pushing up on other clematis around the yard... but not my white.  :(

It's why I've gone clematis happy this year.  :)

by kishik on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 09:37:15 AM PDT

•  If your white one (4+ / 0-)
                  RiveroftheWest, estreya, jayden, kishik

is the same 'Henryi' variety as mine, then it might just be lagging behind the others.  My 'Henryi' is the last of the clematis to sprout and bloom every year.

As you can see from the second, frosty picture of it, it also re-blooms really late in the season and usually has to get whacked by more than one frost to get it shut down for winter.

•  I hope so... (3+ / 0-)
                    estreya, RiveroftheWest, welso

I used to have so many flowers from this one... but last year, those guys whipped out those blowers.  I didn't realize until too late that they'd broken most of the delicate vines... I barely had anything growing last year.  :(

This is the one that I'm hoping is okay... I see one tiny little sprig emerging from the base.

by kishik on Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 10:06:06 AM PDT