View Diary: Millennials are driving social - and political - change (60 comments)

•  I'm feeling very cranky today (9+ / 0-)

and even though pot and marriage equality should be on the yes list there are more pressing poll questions I would like to see covered. Like views on reproductive rights, equal pay for women, jobs that pay a living wage, voters rights, rebuilding America's infrastructure, taxing the wealthy to do so (I got tickled at Bill Maher squealing a little about the pinching CA was doing to HIS income!) environment safeguards from corporation depredations and encroachments, and the right of corporations to shut down aerial views of their misdeeds are just a few of them.

Oh and maybe to boot how do they feel about the prison industry and the drug manufacturers sweet deal because Medicare cannot negotiate for good prices? And what are their feelings about TSA invasions looking at our bodies and Homeland security paranoia about protests?

And remember the last time we had hope in this country a President, a candidate for president and a social reform activist were all shot to death. I was so glad that Occupy avoided having visual leaders.

American Television is a vast sea of stupid. -xxdr zombiexx

by glitterscale on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 06:12:37 AM PDT

•  I strongly disagree with you. (6+ / 0-)

I think ALL of those things should be focal points of our discussion and action, and I don't think that those other things are "more pressing" than marriage equality, which is very important in the broader struggle for LGBT rights. I think we can walk and chew gum at the same time, and while I am appalled at the "war on women", I would like to point out that no Federal law I can think of creates women as a permanent underclass which is by Federal statute barred from exercising certain civil rights afforded to everyone else. While we have a long way to go with women's rights, I think it is a little strange to suggest that somehow LGBT rights are not as "pressing". Try being gay for a day.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 06:19:23 AM PDT

•  well put eom (1+ / 0-)
        commonmass

"We didn't set out to save the world; we set out to wonder how other people are doing and to reflect on how our actions affect other people's hearts." - Pema Chodron

by teacherken on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 06:26:20 AM PDT

•  I understand (8+ / 0-)

Having been a woman and having been denied a promotion because "I am a mother" and then denied opportunities because I was over 40 and then fired because I might get a full pension otherwise, well I know the roadblocks and gates we all have to manage. It isn't that equality in marriage is less than, it is that it now is used to paper over all the other inequalities. (But not by the LGBT community, but by the pols and pundits who can only talk one issue at a time, doncha know.)

American Television is a vast sea of stupid. -xxdr zombiexx

by glitterscale on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 06:32:28 AM PDT

•  Frankly, I see LGBT and women's issues (4+ / 0-)

to be ones that go hand-in-hand. In both cases, a class of people (when it comes to women, more than half of the population apparently) is discriminated against based on preconceived notions of gender and sexual expression. Not to mention that queer theory owes a lot to feminism, which should come as no surprise to anyone.

I just want to point out that what they did to you was illegal. When a gay person or a trans person gets fired for being gay, in many states, that's not against the law. I say we fight for all of these things, together, and stay away from categorizing them based on our own scales of urgency. That divides, it does not unite, and it does not conquer.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 06:36:46 AM PDT

•  Yes it was "illegal" (6+ / 0-)

but nobody went to jail for it. They got a fine or in one case had to pay for my education, but it was small potatoes and did not change the culture.

So beware when you get the same "remedies" that the remedies may be so weak as to be ineffectual.

And abortion is under  assault in an unprecedented way and they are starting on birth control now. They haven't ever protected abortion providers from killers.

American Television is a vast sea of stupid. -xxdr zombiexx

by glitterscale on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 06:52:07 AM PDT

•  I agree. We should have had the ERA (5+ / 0-)

back in the 70's. That was a huge missed opportunity but then again, constitutional amendments are (rightfully so) difficult to pass.

I know everyone is sick of hearing about marriage equality. I know it's the tip of the iceberg, really, when it comes to LGBT rights. ENDA is important. There are lots of things that need doing, and protecting reproductive rights are right up there.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 06:56:11 AM PDT

•  there is only so much one can cover in one column (0+ / 0-)

these happen to be issues on which the Millennials are to some degree driving the discussion

by teacherken on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 06:25:52 AM PDT

•  Can't recommend enough (2+ / 0-)
      3goldens, glitterscale

glitter. Isn't it amazing how voters, Dem or repug, vote with their best intentions to send their guy/gal to Washington to represent them. Then when they get there they crawl in bed with the sleazy lobbyists and write bills that hurt the the very people that got them there. And still they keep getting reelected......

"If fighting for a more equal and equitable distribution of the wealth of this country is socialistic, I stand guilty of being a socialist." Walter Reuther

by fugwb on Sat Apr 06, 2013 at 07:58:52 AM PDT

•  It's the Least Worst fallacy (1+ / 0-)
        3goldens

To influence policy, you have to consistently punish and reward.

Not, well, the other guy is worse, but:  damn, you lied to and shafted us.  Therefore, no donations, volunteering, or voting for you this time.

Then give her/him rewards if and when s/he does what s/he's supposed to.

We have to be strong and brave about consistent punishment when it's warranted, or we'll never get any policies we want.  Our wanting is irrelevant without consequences.

• Recommended (160)
  • Texas (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • 2016 (18)
  • Environment (18)
  • Media (17)
  • Politics (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site