View Diary: Breaking - Thatcher Dead (159 comments)

•  Insulting people with dementia (2+ / 0-)
    Lying eyes, zinger99

Could have done without the Lady Gaga remark, as have lost a parent to dementia.  I realize you were probably quoting the British gutter press, but still....

And no, I did not agree with her politics, that is not what my comment is about.

•  I lost my mother to dementia (5+ / 0-)
      jeanette0605, milkbone, Debby, tommymet, quill

and I have no problem with that remark about Thatcher.

The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln

by raboof on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:44:38 AM PDT

•  Because Thatcher was not (2+ / 0-)
        Lying eyes, zinger99

your mother.

Plenty of time for history to sort out her accomplishments and failures.

Now is not that time

The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only legitimate object of good government. - Thomas Jefferson

by ctexrep on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 05:56:39 AM PDT

•  Thatcher gladly let others with dementia (14+ / 0-)

die in poverty.

Enough said.

by raboof on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:26:08 AM PDT

•  How did Thatcher get so wealthy, she was (0+ / 0-)

born into a middle class family in Britain.  I imagine the same way St.  Ronnie did, she became a whore for the rich.

•  Denis (0+ / 0-)

Her husband was independently wealthy:

Thatcher, already a millionaire when he met her (Margaret), financed his second wife's training as a barrister, and a home in Chelsea; he also bought a large house in Lamberhurst, Kent in 1965. His firm employed 200 people by 1957, but he sold it to Castrol on 26 August 1965 after suffering a mild nervous breakdown in 1964. He received a seat on Castrol's parent board, which he retained when Burmah Oil took it over in 1966. He retired from Burmah in June 1975, four months after his wife won the Conservative Party leadership election.
              In addition to being a director of Burmah, he was chairman of the Atlas Preservative Co (the family company), vice-chairman of Attwoods plc from 1983 to January 1994, a director of Quinton Hazell plc from 1968 to 1998 and a consultant to Amec plc and CSX Corp. He was also a non-executive director of retail giant Halfords during the 1980s.

"Who stood against President Obama in 2012?" - The trivia question nobody can answer.

by Lib Dem FoP on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 08:28:26 AM PDT

•  True that, raboof. (2+ / 0-)
            Debby, Free Jazz at High Noon

I lived in Britain during the Thatcher era. The damage she did to the once-excellent social services was extreme.
                There were places in the north of England where she as a sitting Prime Minister could not go, because there was no way to guarantee her physical safety. That was unprecedented.

I could have been a soldier... I had got part of it learned; I knew more about retreating than the man that invented retreating. --Mark Twain

by NogodsnomastersMary on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 07:52:09 AM PDT

•  I think others have said it (6+ / 0-)

I well remember the trials my mother went through during her administration coping with my step father who had dementia both at home and later, when she could not do more, in a nursing home on the other side of the city.

Not for my mother the chance of a luxury five star hotel to spend her last days either.

The nickname was as much about the right wing Tories who would wheel her out at regular intervals until she finally became a liability for them herself.

Her main legacy was the dreadful Tony Blair who pushed the Labour party to the right of the Conservatives in terms of trampling on civil rights. She was a war criminal in my view and that of many who also consider the Belgrano was hors de combat when she ordered it attacked. She bears the sole responsibility for all the lives lost in the Falklands conflict for her insistence on withdrawing an Antarctic survey vessel to save a few pounds, which in turn emboldened the Argentine junta to attack in the belief it showed the UK had abandoned the islanders (something  they also thought at the time).

by Lib Dem FoP on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:50:16 AM PDT