View Diary: Students at Boston College may face disciplinary action for distributing condoms (183 comments)

•  huh? (3+ / 0-)
    coffeetalk, johnny wurster, VClib

so the distribution of federal monies is now contingent on all recipients of federal dollars adhering to some sort of non-official stance of the united states government regarding giving away free condoms? and how exactly is this catholic school forcing students who willfully applied to and decided to attend a catholic college to follow the catholic faith? are they forcing them to go to mass? are they not allowing them to use condoms? are freshman required to wear rosary beads? are they somehow not allowing students to transfer away from bc if they dont like the school? oh yeah, no. theyre not doing any of those things. they are asking students who live in university dormitories to stop operating a quasi-formal, unsanctioned condom distribution system that violates the core values of the school.

also, is boston college someone exempt from taxation? if so, that would be a surprise to me.

•  The distribution of federal monies (4+ / 0-)
      a2nite, nanorich, schnecke21, Wisper

has ALWAYS been contingent on all recipients recognizing fully the rights of all people to be free from discrimination, including the practice of their religion (or lack thereof) and the expression of their beliefs regarding said practices. So if you accept federal monies you can't just create a Catholic reality with said federal monies, since our federal government and can't be taken to be an arm of anything promoting pro-Catholicism over any other choices.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 04:44:17 PM PDT

•  thats well and good (0+ / 0-)

but how is bc abridging anyones religious rights? and how does any of this relate to the biology department at bc getting hhs grants to conduct research?

•  So, where is this law? So you mean if I attend (1+ / 0-)
        coffeetalk

any number of Baptist universities and I want to bring in a keg or hold a late night poker game....that is allowed?

Or if I attend a Muslim school...Friday night pork chops to anyone in the halls is ok?

What about BYU?  Can I bring my boyfriend to spend the night in my dorm because I don't care about the Mormon views on that?

•  a gilas girl - you are wrong (1+ / 0-)
        Wisper

This issue has been well litigated and there is no legal basis for your position.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:34:37 PM PDT

•  You could not be more wrong (0+ / 0-)

Not even if you tried.

This is not opinion (aside from your inaccurate one).  There are CENTURIES of jurisprudence on this and ALL OF IT disagrees with what you just typed.  Without exception.  And with good reason.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 11:55:16 AM PDT

•  Is Boston College (0+ / 0-)

exempt from taxation? Um, yeah.

Republicans...think the American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it. Harry S. Truman

by fenway49 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:02:58 PM PDT

•  haha (0+ / 0-)

I got a little too wound up in the zealousness of my argument, and momentarily forgot that whole tax-exempt, non-profit educational institution thing. Valid point!

•  And nothing (0+ / 0-)

The commenter made this statement:

Boston College is, in fact, exempt from taxation.

Amazing how, almost every thread I go on lately, most of the people who are defending this particular conservative policy or the great legacy of Margaret Thatcher happen to be RKBA people.

by fenway49 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 07:35:22 AM PDT

•  Who's 'defending" it? It's a simple matter of (2+ / 0-)
            VClib, Wisper

private property issues.  It doesn't matter if I like it or not...I personally would never attend a Catholic university because my core beliefs and theirs don't work well together.  So guess what?  I went to a university that held my same beliefs and had rules I could successfully live by. I didn't go to a school that had rules and views that went against my core values, however the students in this case did just that.  They chose a school that had certain rules and certain core beliefs and wonder why they can't break those rules without getting in trouble.  Well, the answer is that the student made the mistake by choosing that school. The school has every legal right to impose rules, whatever they may be, because it is a private school.  It is as simple as that.

Whatever the hell you mean by this, I have no clue:

I have never typed a word about Margaret Thatcher, she is no hero of mine, and my views on gun rights have zero to do with this conversation.
    •  Makes me wonder what people on this site are (0+ / 0-)

about. I agree with you 100%. Everyone attending the school knows what's up. It's a frikken Catholic school after all! This is what freaks people out about "liberals, (illiberals)" they see them as Bolsheviks trying to take away their basic right to choose the life and religion they want.

"You can die for Freedom, you just can't exercise it"

by shmuelman on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:14:04 PM PDT

•  Wrong (4+ / 0-)
        dhshoops, nanorich, a2nite, schnecke21

Everyone I've ever known who went to BC went there specifically because there was a decades-old understanding that they'd more or less keep this kind of dogma out of your face. That is the lived experience of my friends and family who attended the school. In my youth I spent many a night at MaryAnn's in Cleveland Circle with hundreds of BC students who didn't have abstinence on the mind.

by fenway49 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 06:31:05 PM PDT