View Diary: Obama Doesn't Really Mean It... or does he? (203 comments)

•  I have no idea what (13+ / 0-)

the President stands for, one day he is on the left, the next he has moved to the far right.  One day he says don't worry about social security and medicare we got your back and the next day he putting it all on the table while our backs bleed.  He always for stuff before he is against it.  He is like a merry-go-round spinning, spinning, faster and faster always looking ahead never back, forward, faster, spinning us round and round in circles.

Not one of his policies contains fore thought on how it will effect individuals.  People don't have healthcare because they can't afford it, so go to the health insurance companies and strike a deal while your country's economic system is in the crapper.  Now, everyone will be forced to pay a fine if they don't have healthcare, but employers in meantime are cutting employee's hours, and trying to undermine the entire system which will then again put people in a position with no healthcare (THEY STILL CAN'T AFFORD IT), and now they'll be fined for being poor or unemployed.  Looking forward we now have the sequester and a few of my friends have lost their jobs.  But moving and looking forward. . .

Screw up the economic system even more by free trade deals as jobs run overseas, but moving forward, also have the fed chairman buy bonds at 85 billion a month to keep the market looking good, but moving forward while cutting social security and medicare in order to make those who can least afford it suffer so that the wealthy will do what they should have been doing all along anyway paying taxes on their income.  But, moving forward make sure the corporations that are holding trillions overseas don't get taxed while they whine that they are so overly burden with taxes (please, please Mr. President, help us poor corporations).  And moving forward and looking forward because it is too scary to look back at all the bad and wrong policy decisions we now have a even more crippled, poorer, and unemployed 99% than before 2008.  I'm sorry he has no idea what his policies are doing to the people or how they will effect us.  This is a nightmare.

I just watched a special on channel 11 and Nixon almost made more sense and seemed to have better policies than this President.  What the hell?  And I was a teen during Watergate, hell Agnew actually got in trouble for not paying his taxes back then.  And yet this President gives the treasury position to someone who should have paid his taxes early, but didn't.  He didn't pay them at all, hard to believe that a Vice President stepped down for this in the 1970s and a decades later people are getting rewarded a position.

Oh, good diary.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 09:55:35 PM PDT

•  The president keeps hopping to the right (4+ / 0-)
      YucatanMan, zaka1, ScienceMom, shaharazade

to "snuggle-wuggle with our Republican friends," who in turn "Ook! Ook! Eek! Eek!" scramble even farther into crazy-land.

But the president continues to chase them.

And God said, "Let there be light"; and with a Big Bang, there was light. And God said "Ow! Ow My eyes!" and in a flash God separated light from darkness. "Whew! Now that's better. Now where was I. Oh yea . . ."

by Pale Jenova on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 10:10:15 PM PDT

•  I think he was always (6+ / 0-)

on the right, before he moved to the left, and then to the center and then back to the right again.  My head is spinning, I'm dizzy, and I'm seeing two of everything.

by zaka1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:32:46 PM PDT

•  He knows how to campaign to the left (1+ / 0-)
          zaka1

Unlike Mitt Romney, I believed him.

Again.

And probably will fall for it another time, once he gives up this pathetic fool's errand.

If he ever does.

I know what you mean by your head spinning.

by Pale Jenova on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 08:02:54 AM PDT

•  I will never (2+ / 0-)
            milton333, Pale Jenova

fall for what he has to say again. But I know what you mean, I really wanted to believe social security was safe when he had Biden come out and tell us so.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:10:43 AM PDT

•  Just my opinion: (8+ / 0-)

He knows what he wants.

The public "positions" are purposely vague to keep us guessing. Harder to fight something you are guessing about.

But he is going directly down the path that he wants. And he's being very skillful about manipulating all the players -- politicians, media, lobbyists, party members, everyone -- to get to his goals.  He is nothing if not determined.

Only a massive uproar over this can derail this Social Security proposal. But don't be surprised to see it raise its ugly head in a backroom deal "negotiated" to solve some current or future "crisis."

by YucatanMan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 10:19:37 PM PDT

•  I know I ramble (6+ / 0-)

at times, brain surgery does that to you, but from the very beginning I knew Obama was a corporatist, another Oprah production.  And my concern was that corporatists do not believe in the Democratic way and they don't care about the people.  HRC was the same candidate and I don't believe things would have been any different with her being President.  She lost me when she kept saying "corporations are people," God I hate that saying.  I knew he would side with the corporations and screw the people.  It was just a gut feeling, but here we are now facing what we were trying to avoid by voting for Democrats.  I wanted a different candidate in 2012 and I felt before the election that he was trying to cut benefits.  But the choices we had weren't choices.

I would think this is just another bad President, but when you look all around the world all other governments are doing the same austerity crap and I have to ask why?  What is really going on because this can't be the new normal, it just can't.  I feel, at times, like the people are being corralled into poverty and something is terribly wrong with those in power.

I don't trust him, and I think there is a massive world wide uproar coming if this bullshit isn't put to an end.  The people have had enough.

by zaka1 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:30:53 PM PDT

•  Here's how stupid Americans are. (5+ / 0-)

When they are sick of Obama's triangulation, dithering and moves to the right, they will vote for Republicans. Or we can look forward to Hillary, a frightening prospect.

"You can die for Freedom, you just can't exercise it"

by shmuelman on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:40:42 PM PDT

•  The problem isn't that Americans aren't as smart (11+ / 0-)

as they should be. The problem is that the system is designed to give them a choice between two corporatist candidates: one pro-war and anti-woman, the other marginally less so.

The system is designed to make non-crazy people think that they must vote for Democrats. This is why "serious people" continually treat the idea of a third party with contempt, or ignore it altogether.

American exceptionalism is America's road to perdition.

by Alexandre on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 12:14:04 AM PDT

•  Exactly, (1+ / 0-)
            Alexandre

plus many people have grown up believing that their higher ups have authority over them, that the higher ups know more than them, and they were taught not to question those individuals because it was always assumed they knew better than the average person.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:48:46 AM PDT

•  So then, where is OUR candidate for 2016? (1+ / 0-)
          zaka1

I keep scanning the horizons but I don't see anyone except Biden and Hillary.

I see them coming across the barren field.

•  But, Americans are (1+ / 0-)
          shmuelman

not stupid, many of them.  Some are very native because they grew up being able to trust their government to make the right decisions and policies to protect them.  It wasn't at least to me, until the 1970s that government began to show how corrupt it could be and a lot of that came from the Nixon adminstration.  However, many just thought it was the "person," Nixon who was corrupt, but not the whole body of government.

My parents grew up during the Great Depression, they, who are now in their 80s, trusted their government because of FDR.  For a number of years government continue toward betterment for all.  The Kennedys, MLK, even LBJ pushed civil rights through at the expense of his own presidency.  Nothing was perfect, but we were moving forward.

Fast forward to today and it is such a big mess and I truly believe people are more confused than stupid and that is because both parties are so corrupt that neither can produce a decent leader.  And sad to say that when I hear people speak and repeat things that aren't true I know they are listening to the media like Fox News because they don't know how to form their own opinions because they were never taught to.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:46:09 AM PDT

•  Nixon was a better human being than Obama (9+ / 0-)

Everyone should get that by now.

Nixon created the EPA and wanted to introduce a negative income tax. (He was prevented from doing so by Watergate.) Also, Nixon said, "We're all Keynesians now", whereas Obama ignores sensible economics with his shilling for austerity when we are in a second great depression.

Nobody should doubt by now that Obama will be considered to be a much worse president than Nixon. Possibly even worse than Reagan, Obama's role model.

American exceptionalism is America's road to perdition.

by Alexandre on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 10:59:17 PM PDT

•  That's a difficult equation for me, because (7+ / 0-)

Nixon was paranoid and fundamentally dishonest.

Obama... well, I've said what I think already.  He know what he believes, but he also knows he cannot come out and state it flat out.  Many years ago, he was working on the "blank screen" strategy to purposely entice the support of many would would normally be diametrically opposed to his policies. So, rather than dishonest, he's deeply cynical and manipulative.

Put it this way for a late night short answer:  I'd have to think long and hard who was worse: Nixon or Obama.

And that's pretty damning praise, I think.

by YucatanMan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:31:14 PM PDT

•  All I can say is that it's easier for me to relate (9+ / 0-)

to Nixon as a human being. That may well be because blank screens don't come across as human to me.

Obama is the American presidential equivalent of Bella in the the Twilight movies and books.

I'm just a hollow placeholder for all of the teenage girls in the audience to project their personalities onto. I have none of my own whatsoever.
          The whole Obama phenomenon is that primitive and pathetic.

American exceptionalism is America's road to perdition.

by Alexandre on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:42:23 PM PDT

•  I have been struggling with this lately (7+ / 0-)

in trying to figure out why Obama keeps pushing things like the chained CPI.  The Nixon analogy came up in another diary and my response was thus:

I never thought I would recommend a comment that was positive about Nixon, but in its context, this comment is right on.

Obama makes Nixon look like FDR.

The EPA, the proposal for a guaranteed annual income. Nixon looks better every day.

I never thought that anyone could turn me off from the Democratic party the way that Obama has.  His arrogance and total lack of empathy toward those who needed him and supported him is mind boggling.
          What is so disturbing to me is that this President is pushing for things that ultimately hurt large numbers of the people while continuing to enrich the FIRE sector.  It takes a person who totally lacks empathy for the public to do these things.  His agenda does nothing to forward his party, or to help a nation that is deeply locked in the throes of depression.  His pursuit to destroy Social Security is almost sociopathic because there is no real need for it.
          So, rather than dishonest, he's deeply cynical and manipulative.
          When you look at how he has ignored the suffering of the poor and jobless, and now aims to cut our already tenuous social safety net, he has betrayed his strongest constituency with his agenda.  He really does not care.  Many people do not realize it yet because of his personal appeal, something Nixon never had. In that way, Obama might be more dangerous than Nixon ever was.

"Growing up is for those who don't have the guts not to. Grow wise, grow loving, grow compassionate, but why grow up?" - Fiddlegirl

by gulfgal98 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 04:52:51 AM PDT

•  Well, maybe if we (2+ / 0-)
            YucatanMan, gulfgal98

think in terms of who had the better impact on the most people, there's your answer.

And looking at it that way, I can't conclude that BO is a better pres than Nixon.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 08:13:34 AM PDT

•  Under Nixon, rivers went from being on fire (0+ / 0-)

to being cleaned up.  Under Nixon, our air went from "so thick you can cut it with a knife" to being cleaned up.

Can you just imagine if Obama could implement environmental changes so sweeping as those?  Perhaps to wean us off fossil fuels?  Perhaps to modernize the energy grid?  Perhaps to implement high speed rail across the nation?

My point is that Nixon's changes had massive effects on the health and well-being of millions of people.  And pretty quickly too.

Just think if we could make things that degree of magnitude better for that many people today!

In that analysis, no Obama is not a better president than Nixon, which is a sad-F'ing-deal.  At least Obama implemented Nixon's healthcare plan.

by YucatanMan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 01:49:33 PM PDT

•  A blank screen (1+ / 0-)
          YucatanMan

strategy to me means he is a liar and manipulative.  It would mean that what is truly in his heart is malice because if it was goodness he wouldn't have to lie about who he truly is.

Nixon was bad, don't get me wrong, but he was punished for his faults, however, the biggest mistake we are making with Obama is looking forward and pretending that all is well, when it is not.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:22:30 AM PDT

•  Yes, "blank screen" means that he is purposefully (1+ / 0-)
            zaka1

manipulative.

Rather than state what he wants to achieve in clear, unambiguous terms, the blank screen allows him to let people read into his words whatever they want.

Then, disappointed in the future, when they come back to examine those exact words, they find that ... well, what do you know, he never exactly promised gun control/reform.  He only called for "a vote!  They deserve a vote!"

'They deserve a vote" is another blank screen.  Lots of emotional words, followed by zero call to action, but a blank screen phrase.

I've seen it now after reading through several of his speeches.  It is frequently used.

The biggest thing we can do now for the Democratic Party, I think, is to demand commitment to our party principles.

And to call out the Blank Screen each and every time we see it.  Take that tactic away. Make them regroup how they think about talking to us.

by YucatanMan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 01:54:02 PM PDT

•  Your so right (1+ / 0-)
              YucatanMan

I've seen through him since before he was elected and honestly the blank screen is an excellent example of a person making themselves a Rorschach inkblot.  It is very psychological, which is very manipulative, because people will project what the want or unconsciously what they believe on to a blank screen or a Rorschach inkblot.

I think we have to demand commitment to our party principles because they still hold true for the people.  And while corporate thinking is all the rage, a lot of us are not going to fall in line because we are told we must.  I personally have always felt a sense of repulsion any time I've had to work with the corporate types or have been supervised by them.  There is something missing in these people.  I can't put my finger on it, but I find it repulsive and perhaps that is because I'm just different, I can't manipulate others to produce a profit.  I'm very uncomfortable with that.  When I worked in sales in 1980s I had a product people needed, temp services, and I had no problem fulfilling the need of someone who needed work and a employer needing someone to help out.

But, this is a controlling kind of mindset that seems to be overpowering people's will to think for themselves.  There is something wrong with the mindset, it is like a cross over boundaries that should be respected and never crossed.  I don't know I can't explain it.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 03:09:58 PM PDT