View Diary: Obama Doesn't Really Mean It... or does he? (203 comments)

•  That's a difficult equation for me, because (7+ / 0-)

Nixon was paranoid and fundamentally dishonest.

Obama... well, I've said what I think already.  He know what he believes, but he also knows he cannot come out and state it flat out.  Many years ago, he was working on the "blank screen" strategy to purposely entice the support of many would would normally be diametrically opposed to his policies. So, rather than dishonest, he's deeply cynical and manipulative.

Put it this way for a late night short answer:  I'd have to think long and hard who was worse: Nixon or Obama.

And that's pretty damning praise, I think.

by YucatanMan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:31:14 PM PDT

•  All I can say is that it's easier for me to relate (9+ / 0-)

to Nixon as a human being. That may well be because blank screens don't come across as human to me.

Obama is the American presidential equivalent of Bella in the the Twilight movies and books.

I'm just a hollow placeholder for all of the teenage girls in the audience to project their personalities onto. I have none of my own whatsoever.
      The whole Obama phenomenon is that primitive and pathetic.

American exceptionalism is America's road to perdition.

by Alexandre on Mon Apr 08, 2013 at 11:42:23 PM PDT

•  I have been struggling with this lately (7+ / 0-)

in trying to figure out why Obama keeps pushing things like the chained CPI.  The Nixon analogy came up in another diary and my response was thus:

I never thought I would recommend a comment that was positive about Nixon, but in its context, this comment is right on.

Obama makes Nixon look like FDR.

The EPA, the proposal for a guaranteed annual income. Nixon looks better every day.

I never thought that anyone could turn me off from the Democratic party the way that Obama has.  His arrogance and total lack of empathy toward those who needed him and supported him is mind boggling.
      What is so disturbing to me is that this President is pushing for things that ultimately hurt large numbers of the people while continuing to enrich the FIRE sector.  It takes a person who totally lacks empathy for the public to do these things.  His agenda does nothing to forward his party, or to help a nation that is deeply locked in the throes of depression.  His pursuit to destroy Social Security is almost sociopathic because there is no real need for it.
      So, rather than dishonest, he's deeply cynical and manipulative.
      When you look at how he has ignored the suffering of the poor and jobless, and now aims to cut our already tenuous social safety net, he has betrayed his strongest constituency with his agenda.  He really does not care.  Many people do not realize it yet because of his personal appeal, something Nixon never had. In that way, Obama might be more dangerous than Nixon ever was.

"Growing up is for those who don't have the guts not to. Grow wise, grow loving, grow compassionate, but why grow up?" - Fiddlegirl

by gulfgal98 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 04:52:51 AM PDT

•  Well, maybe if we (2+ / 0-)
        YucatanMan, gulfgal98

think in terms of who had the better impact on the most people, there's your answer.

And looking at it that way, I can't conclude that BO is a better pres than Nixon.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 08:13:34 AM PDT

•  Under Nixon, rivers went from being on fire (0+ / 0-)

to being cleaned up.  Under Nixon, our air went from "so thick you can cut it with a knife" to being cleaned up.

Can you just imagine if Obama could implement environmental changes so sweeping as those?  Perhaps to wean us off fossil fuels?  Perhaps to modernize the energy grid?  Perhaps to implement high speed rail across the nation?

My point is that Nixon's changes had massive effects on the health and well-being of millions of people.  And pretty quickly too.

Just think if we could make things that degree of magnitude better for that many people today!

In that analysis, no Obama is not a better president than Nixon, which is a sad-F'ing-deal.  At least Obama implemented Nixon's healthcare plan.

by YucatanMan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 01:49:33 PM PDT

•  A blank screen (1+ / 0-)
      YucatanMan

strategy to me means he is a liar and manipulative.  It would mean that what is truly in his heart is malice because if it was goodness he wouldn't have to lie about who he truly is.

Nixon was bad, don't get me wrong, but he was punished for his faults, however, the biggest mistake we are making with Obama is looking forward and pretending that all is well, when it is not.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 10:22:30 AM PDT

•  Yes, "blank screen" means that he is purposefully (1+ / 0-)
        zaka1

manipulative.

Rather than state what he wants to achieve in clear, unambiguous terms, the blank screen allows him to let people read into his words whatever they want.

Then, disappointed in the future, when they come back to examine those exact words, they find that ... well, what do you know, he never exactly promised gun control/reform.  He only called for "a vote!  They deserve a vote!"

'They deserve a vote" is another blank screen.  Lots of emotional words, followed by zero call to action, but a blank screen phrase.

I've seen it now after reading through several of his speeches.  It is frequently used.

The biggest thing we can do now for the Democratic Party, I think, is to demand commitment to our party principles.

And to call out the Blank Screen each and every time we see it.  Take that tactic away. Make them regroup how they think about talking to us.

by YucatanMan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 01:54:02 PM PDT

•  Your so right (1+ / 0-)
          YucatanMan

I've seen through him since before he was elected and honestly the blank screen is an excellent example of a person making themselves a Rorschach inkblot.  It is very psychological, which is very manipulative, because people will project what the want or unconsciously what they believe on to a blank screen or a Rorschach inkblot.

I think we have to demand commitment to our party principles because they still hold true for the people.  And while corporate thinking is all the rage, a lot of us are not going to fall in line because we are told we must.  I personally have always felt a sense of repulsion any time I've had to work with the corporate types or have been supervised by them.  There is something missing in these people.  I can't put my finger on it, but I find it repulsive and perhaps that is because I'm just different, I can't manipulate others to produce a profit.  I'm very uncomfortable with that.  When I worked in sales in 1980s I had a product people needed, temp services, and I had no problem fulfilling the need of someone who needed work and a employer needing someone to help out.

But, this is a controlling kind of mindset that seems to be overpowering people's will to think for themselves.  There is something wrong with the mindset, it is like a cross over boundaries that should be respected and never crossed.  I don't know I can't explain it.

by zaka1 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 03:09:58 PM PDT