Skip to main content

View Diary: Yesterday, I felt worthless & humiliated (174 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Episcopal pastors are on my short list (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    JBL55

    of theologians I will discuss religion with. As long as they didn't go to seminary in England since the eighties, but I digress.

    I hate to tell you this but The church might not support homophobia. The pastor may not support homophobia. Most of the congregation may not support homophobia. But all it takes is one to ruin someones life. And THEY act as if they have the full force of the church behind them. Because they do, I can't even count the number of times I've been marginalized only to be told I was not when I raised the issue with others.

    "Til you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules" John Lennon - Working Class Hero

    by Horace Boothroyd III on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 06:37:08 AM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  "all it takes is one to ruin someones life" (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      mayim, PinHole

      Sometimes it takes just one to turn one's life around, too.

      THEY act as if they have the full force of the church behind them.
      Few organizations are monolithic -- each one is made up of individual components.  Setting aside obvious exceptions like the KKK or the American Nazi Party, my rule of thumb about any random group of individuals, from Episcopalians to programmers to welfare recipients to veteranarians, is that 10% are assholes.  And those 10% make the other 90% look really bad.
      I can't even count the number of times I've been marginalized only to be told I was not when I raised the issue with others.
      I really hate it when those who weren't there question the outrage of those who were, those against whom the offense was actually directed.

      As a female in a male-dominated industry, I had to learn to ignore the sexism of co-workers, even my managers, drawing the line only at being paid less for doing the same job.

      But a job is different from a church.  Jobs are necessary for maintaining one's physical existence, while churches are all-volunteer organizations from which one can freely walk when the BS starts to fly.  Too many churches still operate under the delusion that people have to put up with shit when they don't, and these same churches wonder where everybody went.

      Anyway ...

      I truly hope your life isn't ruined, that you have found a way to not give assholes the power to ruin your life.  I was able to do it professionally, and it helped me to do that spiritually as well, since even the Episcopal Church has its share of assholes, and I seem to have a knack for running into that 10% on a regular basis.  

      Heck, one of the most recent run-ins was with an openly gay priest.  I had the idea that he was more enlightened than he was.  Fooled me!

      :-)

      "The fears of one class of men are not the measure of the rights of another." ~ George Bancroft (1800-1891)

      by JBL55 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 10:31:48 AM PDT

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (151)
  • Community (65)
  • Elections (43)
  • Civil Rights (38)
  • 2016 (32)
  • Culture (32)
  • Baltimore (28)
  • Economy (27)
  • Environment (27)
  • Texas (27)
  • Bernie Sanders (27)
  • Law (27)
  • Hillary Clinton (24)
  • Labor (23)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Health Care (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (19)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site