View Diary: Hey White House, may I ask for something? (248 comments)

•  I'm sorry. Let me be more clear. (0+ / 0-)

In no way do I characterize Social Security as being a "fringe issue."

To be honest, I think that Social Security is possibly the finest accomplishment of our government.

No, I was speaking in general, that Obama has ignored the constant, 5-year barrage of criticism that he has endured from the far left.

I see these SS negotiations as being more of a big-picture, long-view issue. Does any sane person not see that SS has to be reformed for its own longevity?

To say that Obama is "cutting SS" is, frankly, lazy. We all know it's much more complex, but it's easy for the critics to jump on whatever they can to perpetuate their dislike.

How about I believe in the unlucky ones?

by BenderRodriguez on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:05:23 PM PDT

•  Social Security needs reform 20 years or more (7+ / 0-)

from now. The reform is needed so benefits don't have to be cut. You're suggesting benefits should be cut now for current recipients and future recipients to avoid cuts for future recipients. That's the kind of logic at work here.

The President recognizes it's harmful by suggesting some recipients need to be protected from the cuts, but he's offering no protection for future recipients, who start at increasingly lower benefit levels.

So in short, he moves the benefit cuts from 20 years out to now, rather than taking action to avoid cuts altogether.

There are other ways to fix Social Security than cutting benefits. Like eliminate the cap for FICA, which Obama once advocated (so it's not like he hasn't thought of it).

To say Obama is "cutting SS" is, frankly, honest. To say otherwise isn't lazy - it's lying.

And in the final analysis, all your posturing about Obama-haters means diddly. Is it good or bad to take hundreds of billions away from recipients of SS, SSDI, military pensions, as well as effectively raising middle class taxes through CPI''s effect on brackets, the standard deduction, and exemptions?

You think it's good, most of us think it's bad.

Modern revolutions have succeeded because of solidarity, not force.

by badger on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:34:25 PM PDT

•  Why not tackle SS reform now? (0+ / 0-)

Why wait 20 years down the road, when perhaps drastic action will need to be taken?

And, just so you know, I don't think cutting SS is a good thing. I do believe, though, from what I've read, the good in Obama's budget proposal outweighs the bad.

And let's not forget that the GOP controls the House.

How about I believe in the unlucky ones?

by BenderRodriguez on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 12:53:03 PM PDT

•  Why not tackle SS reform now (7+ / 0-)

Certainly - and why not fix SS by increasing benefits and increasing FICA collections?

But again, the issue is not whether the entire budget is good or bad - I'm on a treatment plan for a vascular condition that involves several meds. If I react badly to one of the meds, that doesn't mean the entire plan should be thrown out. It just means an alternative for the med I react badly to needs to be found. It makes no sense to say "Well, the treatment plan overall is good, so keep taking that drug even though it's going to kill you sooner than your aneurysm ever will."

Cutting SS is a bad policy period. There is no way to make up for it for future retirees. The other components of retirement planning - pensions/401Ks, personal savings - are in serious trouble, and extended unemployment, stagnant wages, high student loan debt and effectively zero interest rates on savings make them even more of a problem. SS is the one retirement component that continues to work (not to mention all of the other things CPI affects).

Look at how long it took to implement Medicare. How long it took to get any kind of national health insurance reform. Should we go backwards on SS just because we can't see a way to go forwards at this instant?

I was wrong - you don't believe cutting SS is a good thing. Instead, it seems you believe it should be cut because the GOP controls the House. That makes ever so much more sense.

Modern revolutions have succeeded because of solidarity, not force.

by badger on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:03:36 PM PDT

•  Why not fight like hell to hold the Senate and (1+ / 0-)
          johanus

win the House and protect SS & Medicare for Americans like Democrats, instead of making it easier for repugs to destroy the programs in the future?

•  OK... (2+ / 0-)
          badger, schnecke21

Let's tackle social security now.  Why start by proposing a policy where you state 'The recipients of Social Security are getting too much money'?

'Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost' - Ronald Reagan, Communist

by RichM on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 01:44:22 PM PDT

•  He is not reforming Social Security (0+ / 0-)

He is cutting Social Security.

•  The 'far left' (4+ / 0-)
      hester, lotusmaglite, schnecke21, HCKAD

huh? So the teacher next door is a far lefty, my Democratic  daughter in law who was raised a Republican and is a real moderate is a far lefty.  What you mean here is that anyone who is to OBama's left and voted Democratic is fringe. That would be the majority of the people who voted. Is Elizabeth Warren a far lefty? Strange that Democrat's who voted for a Democratic administration that is willing to stand up and fight for the people against the RW maniacs  are being marginalized as far left.

•  Well said from one of (1+ / 0-)
        shaharazade

...my favorite dkos handles. If the world is so unfortunate as to suffer the indignity of me procreating, I would seriously consider naming a daughter Shaharazade.

The problem with going with your gut as opposed to your head is that the former is so often full of shit. - Randy Chestnut

by lotusmaglite on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 06:56:00 PM PDT