View Diary: Hell No! I Am A Loco-Foco (90 comments)

•  raise taxes on middle-income Americans? (12+ / 0-)

I forgot whose diary this was in, but

Trying to get straight answers out of the WH is still the same difficulty, it seems no matter who the president is.....

Poor Carney, they just will not let him make his WH talking points, but you know when they say, let me be clear, that of course they will be anything but....

MAJOR GARRETT, CBS NEWS/NATIONAL JOURNAL:  “A follow-up on Jim’s question -- you do not and the White House does not dispute that if the chained CPI were put in -- to be put into effect, it would raise taxes on middle-income Americans?”
    JAY CARNEY:  The chained CPI, which is a technical adjustment to how we measure the consumer price index --
    GARRETT:  But its practical effect would be --
    CARNEY:  Again --
    GARRETT:  -- to raise taxes on --
    MR. CARNEY:  I’m not disputing that, but I’m saying that it is not the President’s ideal policy.  It is in a letter from the Senate Minority Leader requesting that it be part of a negotiation deal.
    GARRETT:  All right, I'm just saying you don’t disagree, that those things happen?
    CARNEY:  Right, but Major, and --
    GARRETT:  -- a tax increase?
    CARNEY:  -- let’s be clear,
    as we’ve said all along, that the offer was on the table.  The President made that offer because he was hopeful that we would see commensurate willingness to compromise from Republicans.  Unfortunately, we haven’t seen that.

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 02:38:28 PM PDT

•  Lies, Carney! (8+ / 0-)

If they aren't willing to compromise--and that's surely obvious to anyone not living in a cave--you don't leave the fucking things on the table indefinitely, you take them off.

The GOP hasn't been willing to compromise--at anything--since Mr. Obama took office.  These holier-than-thou "spokeswonks" who think they're smarter than everyone else make me want to slap the simper right off their well-fed faces.  I'm glad the press is razzing him, he's full of shit.

"The “Left” is NOT divided on the need to oppose austerity and the Great Betrayal. The Third Way is not left or center or even right. It is Wall Street on the Potomac."--Bill Black

by lunachickie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 03:29:10 PM PDT

•  Unfortunately, we haven’t seen that. (2+ / 0-)
        lotlizard, lunachickie
        So fortunately for the prez, since he did not accomplish his goal of "compromise from Republicans", he can now remove the chained cpi and resulting middle class tax increases.

So all we have to do is wait for the prez to do the right thing.

He took a gamble, he's lost, so now he needs to take those chips off the table!

CARNEY:  -- let’s be clear, as we’ve said all along, that the offer was on the table.

Unfortunately, we haven’t seen that.

by allenjo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 06:43:29 PM PDT

•  Exactly (0+ / 0-)

and there will be no stealthing it through a back-door somewhere or renaming it to try and slide it under the radar (see: CISPA).

He took a gamble, he's lost, so now he needs to take those chips off the table!
          Come on, Mr. President. Show us once and for all what you're really made of.

by lunachickie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:58:54 PM PDT

•  And once it's been placed on the table, (10+ / 0-)

even if it's taken back later, the R's are never going to forget that a Dem was once willing to blow up Social Security. I've long thought this president a lost cause, but I didn't think he'd be the type to intentionally hang this moronic idea around the neck of future Democratic officeholders. Silly me - maybe the melodic tone of Jay Carney's voice will sooth my troubled political soul. Oh, wait...

•  No one who is a member of AARP or about (5+ / 0-)
        smiley7, lotlizard, joanneleon, DawnN, Avila

to become eligible will forget either.

This was a strategic foul of lasting impact.  I didn't say "blunder" because I don't think it was a mistake. I think it was intentional. Obama believes that "shared sacrifice" consists of both wealthy and poor giving up something. Maybe he only thinks about it as "left" and "right" or "Dem" and "Rep," but he doesn't really care about the impact upon the poor.

That's just tough luck for the poor.  Over the past 4+ years, has he evidenced any lasting battle on behalf of the unemployed or the poor?  Any lasting battle on behalf of the elderly and "getting by on the skin-of-their-teeth" seniors?

Follow the money.  Under Obama, money continues to flow to the banks and Wall Street, while Main Street -- all us poor working schmucks -- continue to be ignored.

by YucatanMan on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 06:12:30 PM PDT

•  well, he did say he'd met too many struggling (2+ / 0-)
          YucatanMan, joanneleon

seniors, so he would not be cutting social security.
          And he prefaced that with "Let me be clear"

That's just tough luck for the poor.
          seems to be.

by allenjo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 06:41:42 PM PDT

•  In 2008, he flat out lied: (1+ / 0-)
            allenjo

he said I will not raise the retirement age or change the cost of living index for Social Security.  As you said, he prefaced that with "Let me be clear."

In 2012, he said he shared the same position as Romney, that Social Security needed "tweaks" or some other itsy-bitsy little word.

In 2006, he said that the left has been defending "programs written in 1938 as though they were written in stone" for too long.

If you ask me, he was a massive liar in 2008.  He lied his way into office.  In 2006 & 2012, he told us what he really believed.

He's a neoliberal who intentionally employs the "blank screen" tactic so that people of all political stripes project upon him (his own words).   When conservatives did this in the 1980s and 1990s, we called them "stealth candidates."

They'd never mention destroying the board of education or banning the teaching of evolution, but then go after everything in sight. Today, the Tea Partiers are out in the open with their former stealth goals, but the president of the USA is a prime example of a "stealth candidate."

by YucatanMan on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 07:51:12 PM PDT

•  no argument from me, just full agreement (1+ / 0-)
              YucatanMan

I bought his line, hook, line and sinker, back in 2008.

I did not buy it again. I feel a certain dread about the next 4 years, not the level of angst of the Cheney regime, but who knows? It may wind up topping it, as the only thing we have to get thru those long 8 years was the hope for when they were gone.

by allenjo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 08:44:51 PM PDT

•  Only Nixon could have gone to China. (1+ / 0-)
                allenjo

Only Obama can tear down the New Deal.

just an awful thought