View Diary: Hell No! I Am A Loco-Foco (90 comments)

•  Agreed though I LOVE the ideas behind it (5+ / 0-)

I've been back and forth the last few months about "leaving" the party--I'm with whoever else upthread, though, that said, essentially, "Why should I be the one to leave, when the people who have stolen it have compromised everything it was supposed to stand for?"

That's what I keep coming back to. I'm not owning this Third Way faction that has hijacked the party of Labor and common good for all. They need to go. Yesterday.

So I'm all for fighting for it--but damn, Loco-Foco just doesn't engender the same patriotic mental images as, well, Tea Party.

A naming contest--I like it! Seriously. Think about it.

"The “Left” is NOT divided on the need to oppose austerity and the Great Betrayal. The Third Way is not left or center or even right. It is Wall Street on the Potomac."--Bill Black

by lunachickie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 03:37:57 PM PDT

•  But most Americans are feeling pretty Loco (2+ / 0-)
      lunachickie, Unitary Moonbat

right now, honestly. And not many are feeling inspired and patriotic.

I think it would work.

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 05:53:30 PM PDT

•  Well yeah, that may be (1+ / 0-)
        Unitary Moonbat

most Americans are feeling pretty Loco
        But you know how the mediaz sophistry machine screws around with the language. They'd have a field day with this.

It's gotta convey "We Mean Business". This is catchy but I just can't see how it sets up for anything other than ridicule, because if something like this were to really take hold, it would threaten the holy hegemony.

(add to that, now I keep wanting to say Coco Loco, which is a drink, fer cryinoutloud....anyway.....).

The concept itself, with the historical reference is awesome, though, I can't stress that enough. And I learned something new today. But hell, look no further than "Tea Party" in our modern, um, discourse. You don't think of Boston Harbor anymore when you hear those words. Admit it, you think of Sarah Palin. Yeah, they screwed that historical reference up into all kinds of fail, didn't they?

by lunachickie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 07:58:22 PM PDT

•  I hasten to add... (2+ / 0-)

I wish I could think of something else to suggest! And I know I may read a little contradictory there. Initially, the "Tea Party" did sound a little more 'serious', but those people just wouldn't shut up, and now the original gravitas of the historical reference point is gone, morphed into a joke among the Chattering Classes of the Fourth Estate (and just about anyone else who has two brain cells to rub together).

Though I suppose that no matter what we call it, they'll be finding ways to attack it on some level...

by lunachickie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 08:06:19 PM PDT

•  I now think we shouldn't use Locofoco (1+ / 0-)
          lunachickie

because they had some ideas I wouldn't want to get behind. They are actually a very odd collection of ideas to see together.

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 08:37:39 PM PDT

•  Define "fail" (2+ / 0-)
          lostinamerica, lunachickie

The Tea Party's object (and that of Fox News, for that matter) never was to present an accurate portrayal of history; it was to get as much of the public as possible to associate patriotic imagery with Sarah Palin and those who think like her. It worked, as you yourself described.

I hear what you're saying about how a "we mean business" name conveys strength, but it also runs the risk of sounding pretentious - think of the way we mock the Very Serious People, precisely because they regard themselves so seriously. I think some of the old-school values to which we need to return include a willingness to embrace the absurd - really, to have a little fun with it all. Abbie Hoffman's attempt to levitate the Pentagon had more impact on US policy than any number of teach-ins.

•  it was kinda snarky (0+ / 0-)

in some ways, this is right:

There's two sides to that concept, though--any "patriotic images" which conjure up images of Mrs. Half-Term Governor can also rather cheapen them overall. Now you, as a good Progressive, hear the words "Tea Party" and you just sort of groan or reach for your Maalox, right?

Think of what propaganda did to cheapen the concept of "impeachment". It's well on its way to being reduced to "Oh, that's that thing we do to Presidents for lying about consensual sex", instead of The Serious Thing that it actually is. Word association is a part of propaganda (honest, it's the only point I'm trying to make!). So students of language would implore us to please think this one through!! I just don't want "progressives" to be associated with a metaphor that could be twisted into The Crazy--misquoted, abused, and then...not taken seriously. That's what those bastards do--they try to poison anything that might work to undermine them, and they'll fall all over themselves to bastardize the language if they think it would be beneficial.

Which really, really sucks. I don't mean to rain on your parade, this is an awesome diary. But those people who mean us harm are  just so damned slimy...

by lunachickie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 at 09:46:25 PM PDT