View Diary: Books That Changed My Life—Which Writer Do You REALLY Dislike? (93 comments)

•  There are so many... (6+ / 0-)

Dan Brown, Erich von Daniken, Philip Roth, Erich Segal, Ann McCaffery...

Ancora Impara--Michelangelo

by aravir on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 08:03:13 AM PDT

•  Huh? Granted that one man's spaghetti (4+ / 0-)

is another's noodly appendages, but would you care to say just why you think Anne McCaffrey is a bad author?

Just curious...

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 08:16:13 AM PDT

•  Well, there is this diary... (4+ / 0-)

Which I think offers a good case.

I must admit that ellid did that diary at my urging, so it is only fair that I give my own reason.  Simply put, I just think she's a bad writer.

Excerpt from Dragonflight:

Lessa woke, cold. Cold with more than the chill of the everlastingly clammy stone walls. Cold with the prescience of a danger stronger than the one ten full Turns ago that had then sent her, whimpering with terror, to hide in the watch-wher's odorous lair.

Rigid with concentration, Lessa lay in the straw of the re- dolent cheeseroom she shared as sleeping quarters with the other kitchen drudges. There was an urgency in the ominous portent unlike any other forewarning. She touched the awareness of the watch-wher, slithering on its rounds in the courtyard. It circled at the choke limit of its chain. It was restless, but oblivious to anything unusual in the predawn darkness.

Lessa curled into a tight knot of bones, hugging herself to ease the strain across her tense shoulders. Then, forcing herself to relax, muscle by muscle, joint by joint, she tried to feel what subtle menace it might be that could rouse her, yet not distress the sensitive watch-wher.

Just terrible writing.  I came to McCaffery as a long-time fan of fantasy.  Tolkien, Lewis, Alexander, Peake, Dunsany, Cabell, Baum...  You name it, I had read it.  After having run so many grains of literary gold-dust through my fingers, McCaffery was tantamount to pyrite on paper.

Now, I've been to a few Cons in my day, and McCaffery had a well-deserved reputation as a fan-friendly author.  She was kind and considerate; a person I wouldn't have minded knowing personally.  But, in my view, she couldn't have written her way out of a paper bag.

Ancora Impara--Michelangelo

by aravir on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 08:47:32 AM PDT

•  Well, we'll simply have to disagree on this one. (6+ / 0-)

Over the years, my library has included nearly all of her work, though I quit buying all the Pern novels after about half the series.

DragonSong is one of my all time favorite re-reads, and The Ship Who Sang, by me, stands right up there with Spud and Cochise for short story writing.

I have the same problems reading Lewis and Dunsany as you seem to have with McCaffrey - the writing drags at me as I'm reading and I keep getting thrown out of the story, but I wouldn't call them bad writers.

by serendipityisabitch on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 09:07:21 AM PDT

•  Dan Brown! (7+ / 0-)

Glad someone thought of him. everyone in my village was all excited about Da Vinci Code, thought I would love it being all about art and everything. After figuring out that the protagonist had not been to sleep in three days and was not only racing all over the countryside but stringing together semi-coherent thought while doing it, the book became mildly amusing.
      Then someone loaned me Angels and Demons to read on a transatlantic flight. Now that was howlingly funny, but not in a good way.

You..ought to be out raising hell. This is the fighting age. Put on your fighting clothes. -Mother Jones

by northsylvania on Fri Apr 12, 2013 at 09:14:50 AM PDT

•  I got about fifty pages into DVC and figured (2+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, citylights

out what was going to happen, got bored, and quit.

•  Me, too. And I took some grief from a few people (3+ / 0-)

at the time.  You know, the ones who say, how can you judge it if you didn't even give it a chance.  I told em life's too short to read what doesn't keep your interest. There are far too many books in the world yet to read to continue with ones you don't like.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap." Napoleon Bonaparte

by citylights on Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 05:00:06 AM PDT

•  The premise itself lost me. (2+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, Diana in NoVa

People are making up secret symbols and sticking them  all over the place, becauuuuuuse.....?

Is it like they might forget what their secret is unless they make up coded messages to remind themselves?  Hey, just write it down and stick it up on the refrigerator!

"I wonder why Congress again in a new poll out today--11% approval rating. (It's) because they don't work for us. They work for the sons-of-bitches who pay them." Cenk Uygur

by Dave in Columbus on Sat Apr 13, 2013 at 11:13:47 AM PDT