View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 4/16 (342 comments)

•  The Raises In Conjunction With The Tax Hikes = (1+ / 0-)
    ChadmanFL

tangible public resentment.  And voters would be reminded of it in 18 months with a relentless assault of coordinated TV ads that would be absolutely lethal.

If you had your druthers, who would be the respective leaders of the Senate and House?  Just curious.

•  I am more in Sync with the senate leadership (1+ / 0-)
      Mark27

Personally. Although the politicians I most closely associate myself with are current and former House members (Sertich, Anzelc, Melin, Rukavina). Don't get me wrong, I like Bakk and company, but I never had much of a working relationship or connection with them.

•  My Dad Likes All The Iron Rangers...... (3+ / 0-)
        WisJohn, OGGoldy, pademocrat

He hangs out at the Capitol a lot during session and has gotten into conversations with everybody from Dick Day to Phil Krinkie.  He's lukewarm at best on Thissen.  Rukavina was his all-time favorite.

•  They don't make em like Rukavina anymore (6+ / 0-)

And the state is worse off because of that. He was never terribly popular with the Minneapolis crowd, but beloved by everyone else, and had a huge amount of respect and clout with Republicans across the state. He was an absolute bulldog, and not a person you wanted to make am enemy out of, not like he had many enemies because he was such a nice guy. But all 5 foot 2 inches of him would take on causes head first.

•  The way you portray things (0+ / 0-)

the Minneapolis crowd seems to never be that fond of, or openly dislikes, pretty much all DFLers who aren't from the Twin Cities. Why is that?

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:32:58 PM PDT

•  Classic rural-urban divide. (2+ / 0-)
              ArkDem14, gabjoh

Different values, different world-views.

Gay farm boy, 20, who hit the city to go to college, WI-03 (home, voting), WI-02 (college), -7.00, -3.13, 2012 Daily Kos Elections Pick'Em runner-up.

by WisJohn on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:45:11 PM PDT

•  It is partially the urban-rural divide (4+ / 0-)
              WisJohn, Mark27, ArkDem14, gabjoh

Although Minneapolis politicians tend to be very smarmy and rigid when it comes to ideology. They simply do not understand/care/want to listen to what sells in rural districts, nor do they particularly care about the differences between ag districts and mining districts. Basically they push things that are popular with liberal activists, but are either unpopular or would economically cripple already struggling rural communities. Perfect examples of this are things like opposing non-ferrous mining, or directed taxes at the sugar beet industry.

•  or in Oregon banning field burning (4+ / 0-)
                WisJohn, OGGoldy, ArkDem14, bumiputera

on the logic that the smoke and particulate matter is bad for human health, whereas without the ability to burn, farmers are forced to go to greater expense to use more pesticides, fertilizers, and till more, all of which could be harmful to humans and the environment, and they generally have to transition to less profitable crops.  That was a brilliant idea by urban legislators.

by James Allen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 06:19:44 PM PDT

•  Seems comparable (4+ / 0-)
                  James Allen, ArkDem14, WisJohn, bumiputera

And it's a shame, really.

•  Why aren't people able to listen (0+ / 0-)

to other people with open minds and make the best, most logical decision?

by ArkDem14 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 12:56:17 AM PDT

•  Rigid ideologues are not know (0+ / 0-)

For their listening ability. That goes for both sides of the isle.

•  agreed (2+ / 0-)
                      ArkDem14, Christopher Walker

both the Irish Sea and the Atlantic Ocean are guilty of it.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 06:14:49 AM PDT

•  I've always thought of (0+ / 0-)

the Democratic ideology to be more pluralistic and open-minded. I think it has to come down to the harsh rejection of progressive politics by rural voters, from almost their outset in the 1970s. The increasingly vitriolic and anti-urban mindset and culture cultivated in rural America is fostering an urban elite that are no longer interested in dealing with them at all, especially in states like Oregon where the urban cores control the state, and in Seattle. But there at least they have the excuse that it crosses partisan boundaries; they aren't dividing the Democratic party.

by ArkDem14 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 11:22:33 AM PDT

•  i appreciate your concern (8+ / 0-)

but the last pay raise was in 1999 - 14 years ago - and they make $30,000 a year for work that is far more than full time for half the year.  i don't want incompetents and retirees being the only ones there and reasonable pay is a step in the right direction.

no one likes pay raises, unless they themselves are receiving them.

as for the budget/taxes etc.  this is the time that the different branches are supposed to be putting forth their plans.  what they come up with in the end, i can't tell, but as long as it makes sense (financially and otherwise) and they don't have a special session, it will be an improvement over the last few years.

•  "no one likes pay raises, unless they themselves.. (1+ / 0-)
        WisJohn

....are receiving them".

True.  Unfortunately in this case the people giving themselves pay raises have to go in front of voters.

•  ^^^THIS deserves more recs (3+ / 0-)
        ChadmanFL, itskevin, bumiputera

It's a real problem to have state legislators so poorly paid for what is really full-time work.  They're poorly paid in Virginia, too, and that limits who realistically can run.  It ensures the affluent have a major leg up, way disproportionate to their ability to win otherwise.

Unfortunately voters never consider this.  Indeed, that state legislators lean toward being the pillars of their communities in the first place just makes voters that much more resentful at their pay.

45, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 05:52:16 PM PDT