View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 4/16 (342 comments)

•  My Dad Likes All The Iron Rangers...... (3+ / 0-)
    WisJohn, OGGoldy, pademocrat

He hangs out at the Capitol a lot during session and has gotten into conversations with everybody from Dick Day to Phil Krinkie.  He's lukewarm at best on Thissen.  Rukavina was his all-time favorite.

•  They don't make em like Rukavina anymore (6+ / 0-)

And the state is worse off because of that. He was never terribly popular with the Minneapolis crowd, but beloved by everyone else, and had a huge amount of respect and clout with Republicans across the state. He was an absolute bulldog, and not a person you wanted to make am enemy out of, not like he had many enemies because he was such a nice guy. But all 5 foot 2 inches of him would take on causes head first.

•  The way you portray things (0+ / 0-)

the Minneapolis crowd seems to never be that fond of, or openly dislikes, pretty much all DFLers who aren't from the Twin Cities. Why is that?

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:32:58 PM PDT

•  Classic rural-urban divide. (2+ / 0-)
          ArkDem14, gabjoh

Different values, different world-views.

Gay farm boy, 20, who hit the city to go to college, WI-03 (home, voting), WI-02 (college), -7.00, -3.13, 2012 Daily Kos Elections Pick'Em runner-up.

by WisJohn on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:45:11 PM PDT

•  It is partially the urban-rural divide (4+ / 0-)
          WisJohn, Mark27, ArkDem14, gabjoh

Although Minneapolis politicians tend to be very smarmy and rigid when it comes to ideology. They simply do not understand/care/want to listen to what sells in rural districts, nor do they particularly care about the differences between ag districts and mining districts. Basically they push things that are popular with liberal activists, but are either unpopular or would economically cripple already struggling rural communities. Perfect examples of this are things like opposing non-ferrous mining, or directed taxes at the sugar beet industry.

•  or in Oregon banning field burning (4+ / 0-)
            WisJohn, OGGoldy, ArkDem14, bumiputera

on the logic that the smoke and particulate matter is bad for human health, whereas without the ability to burn, farmers are forced to go to greater expense to use more pesticides, fertilizers, and till more, all of which could be harmful to humans and the environment, and they generally have to transition to less profitable crops.  That was a brilliant idea by urban legislators.

by James Allen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 06:19:44 PM PDT

•  Seems comparable (4+ / 0-)
              James Allen, ArkDem14, WisJohn, bumiputera

And it's a shame, really.

•  Why aren't people able to listen (0+ / 0-)

to other people with open minds and make the best, most logical decision?

by ArkDem14 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 12:56:17 AM PDT

•  Rigid ideologues are not know (0+ / 0-)

For their listening ability. That goes for both sides of the isle.

•  agreed (2+ / 0-)
                  ArkDem14, Christopher Walker

both the Irish Sea and the Atlantic Ocean are guilty of it.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 06:14:49 AM PDT

•  I've always thought of (0+ / 0-)

the Democratic ideology to be more pluralistic and open-minded. I think it has to come down to the harsh rejection of progressive politics by rural voters, from almost their outset in the 1970s. The increasingly vitriolic and anti-urban mindset and culture cultivated in rural America is fostering an urban elite that are no longer interested in dealing with them at all, especially in states like Oregon where the urban cores control the state, and in Seattle. But there at least they have the excuse that it crosses partisan boundaries; they aren't dividing the Democratic party.

by ArkDem14 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 11:22:33 AM PDT