View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 4/16 (342 comments)

•  So, I was surprised to learn that (8+ / 0-)

the Gay Straight Alliance organization that is in many schools, was first founded in Salt Lake City by Kelli Anderson back in the mid 1990s. The Salt Lake City School Board of course took the obvious course of action that common decency demanded and banned all non-academic clubs in the entire district in order to deprive the GSA of its right to organize. The Utah State Legislature then took the additional measure of banning all high school clubs that, among other things, discussed issues of human sexuality, or had anything to do with sexuality. Gotta protect the public after all.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 09:37:02 AM PDT

•  Well, it is Salt Lake City (2+ / 0-)
      lordpet8, DCCyclone

They do things differently there than in the rest of Utah. And the rest of Utah hates SLC for it, unfortunately. Though SLC basically always proves to be correct with most issues.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 09:44:31 AM PDT

•  Salt Lake City (2+ / 0-)
        lordpet8, DCCyclone

didn't do things differently than the rest of Utah though, they went to extreme lengths to preserve the same sort of bigotry and homophobia, despite being the most urban and diverse area of the state. GSA folks fought the City School Board with walk outs, protests and years of legal battles. It took the better part of a decade to turn SLC into a moderately politically liberal area on social issues like gay rights, and even now I'm not sure the county would vote for a gay marriage proposal, most likely not.

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:42:00 AM PDT

•  Fair enough (2+ / 0-)
          DCCyclone, gabjoh

I'm pretty young, so I don't remember a non-progressive Salt Lake City. It's always been like it is now in my memory.

The rest of Utah hating SLC has been true for a while though.

And you are correct in assuming that gay marriage would be defeated even in Salt Lake County. Anti-discrimination policies probably would win though.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:34:44 AM PDT

•  This was back in the early 1990s (4+ / 0-)
            lordpet8, pademocrat, DCCyclone, gabjoh

The school board literally banned every non-academic club to stop the GSA from having a right to organize. It backfired by getting the entire student population strongly behind the GSA and politically involved. But the school board banned everything, ski clubs, chess clubs, and ironically, even Bible clubs, to take out the threat of the GSA.

Now, this might of been one of the driving forces in what eventually turned Salt Lake City into a progressive urban hotspot in the state, but that's been a development of the past 18 years.

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:39:51 AM PDT

•  The injection of religion into politics... (3+ / 0-)
      ArkDem14, lordpet8, pademocrat

As a mainstream practice seems to be one of those American traditions that developed sometime after independence -- considering our first 10 presidents were not particularly devout -- and has not, as it has in most other modern democracies, simply gone away.

Even Australia, which competes with the United States for having the most rightward political centerpoint among modern democracies, has an openly atheist prime minister. Even some Latin American countries, in a region where Catholicism is prominent, have political spheres blissfully devoid of overt religious influence (Uruguay and Argentina come to mind). Just to our north (or my east, actually), in Canada, Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper rose to power in part by criticizing Stockwell Day for attempting to bring religious conservatism into politics.

The U.S. is just this weird anomalous place where for some reason it's okay to legislate based on religious beliefs rather than on what is empirically best for the people.

•  Australia's labor party is (2+ / 0-)
        nimh, DCCyclone

pretty well to the left though. Australia is way to our left on most economic issues, particularly those pertaining to unions and the minimum wage, and financial regulation.

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:11:28 PM PDT

•  Way way to the left. (3+ / 0-)
          lordpet8, ArkDem14, DCCyclone

Like on healthcare, Medicare, guns etc.

I hated John Howard with a passion because he was a right wing zealot but he banned semi autos after the port Arthur massacre and introduced stringent gun laws.

Religion does have some influence but nothing like USA... The conservatives would never be in power in Aus without the moderate wing.

Town Planner, 30 years Old, Election Junkie, "If you agree with Bush's economic policy, Cheney's foreign policy, and Santorum's social policy, you loved Romney's speech" - James Carville (aka the Ragin Cajun) on the Colbert Report

by CF of Aus on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:14:38 PM PDT

•  Israel is worse. (1+ / 0-)
        ArkDem14

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
        politicohen.com
        Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
        UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:25:28 PM PDT

•  Well that's not really a fair example (2+ / 0-)
          JBraden, NMLib

It was founded as a Jewish state and still is more secular than the Christian right nuts want America to be!  Muslims can vote there, American conservatives are still unhappy black Americans, even Christians, can vote here.

45, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 06:06:36 PM PDT

•  Well yeah, religion is intended to be prominent (0+ / 0-)

in Israel.  But I was just pointing it out as more right-wing than us.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
            politicohen.com