View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 4/16 (342 comments)

•  13 years of no raise (3+ / 0-)
    lordpet8, ArkDem14, askew

The article says the legislature has not seen a raise since 1999.  That seems ridiculous.  At least 30% or more is needed just for inflation.

•  I Dare Say That Just About Everybody Else Earning. (2+ / 0-)
      tommypaine, nimh

$31,000 per year has fared worse since 1999 than Minnesota legislators.  And most of them don't get $15,000+ in per diem to supplement their incomes either.

I'm not opposed to them having a pay increase generally, but when you're asking households making less than that to fork over stacks of additional tax revenue to pay for Twins stadiums and corporate welfare for Mayo Clinic, you take your lumps yourself.  That's just common sense.

•  Vikings Stadiums Rather. n/t (0+ / 0-)
        •  The Vikings stadium is a fiasco (2+ / 0-)
          ArkDem14, ChadmanFL

Although in the scheme of the budget, its not all that significant of a sum. The Mayo Clinic on the other hand, publicly blackmailing the legislature the way they are doing is ridiculous.

•  I would call them out on the bluff (3+ / 0-)
            WisJohn, ChadmanFL, JBraden

The Mayor Clinic has done a lot of political bullshit over the past few years, particularly on health care reform, and now they threaten to move to Vermont, a state implenting a Single-payer system? That's just a fucking laugh.

From a business perspective, I'd simply maintain that up and moving the clinic is unfeasible; it'd be an enormous material cost, and a lot of the doctors there are settled down in Rochester and would be adverse to just up and dropping their lives.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:39:22 AM PDT

•  don't legislators pay taxes too? (1+ / 0-)
        ChadmanFL

by James Allen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:03:42 AM PDT

•  I Would Assume So..... (0+ / 0-)

But unless they're gonna legislate mandated wage increases of $11,000 per year for everybody as they hope to approve for themselves, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison just because they also pay taxes.

•  Seems like a lot of hand wringing over nothing (2+ / 0-)
          James Allen, ArkDem14

I'm sorry, but the cost of living is far higher today than 1999, when that legislature last received a pay raise.  Cost of living is far higher than is was in 1999.  There's never a "good" time for legislators to raise their pay.  People will ALWAYS complain when they do.  The only mistake IMO is the large increase immediately.  Make it a 5% or so raise each year for the next 5 years then tie salaries to inflation or some index.  I live in a lower cost of living area than Minnesota and I can't imagine living on the salary they pay their legislators.  All it does is keep good, middle-class people out of the legislature.

•  Just put an inflation index on it (3+ / 0-)
            Xenocrypt, jncca, ChadmanFL

and have that permanently attached.

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:39:53 AM PDT

•  The First People That Will Agree About Costs...... (1+ / 0-)
            nimh

.....being higher than 1999 are the low-income workers whose incomes are more likely to have gone down rather than up by 35% over the same time period.  And nor are they getting $15,000+ per year in per diem supplements.

I guess I'm a little surprised by the pushback I'm getting over saying it might be less than optimal politics for lawmakers to give themselves a 35% pay increase the same week they release a budget filled with billions of dollars in mostly regressive tax increases.  Here I thought if there was one thing I could ever bring up around here that wouldn't be met with ferocious resistance, it was that lawmakers pushing for nine-figures worth of tax increases might be wise to hold off on giving themselves 35% pay increases.

•  Again, can you outline what these (1+ / 0-)
              ChadmanFL

regressive tax increases are? And why a DFL legislature is proposing them as opposed to a balanced, progressive set of tax increases to deal with the budget problems left them by Republican lawmakers and the stadium fiasco?

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:50:58 AM PDT

•  you're not getting pushback on the optics being (1+ / 0-)
              ChadmanFL

bad.  You're getting pushback because that is not the only one should consider when looking at a policy proposal.

by James Allen on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:01:47 AM PDT

•  No, there obviously is a "good" time (3+ / 0-)
            Mark27, Christopher Walker, nimh

to raise your wages, that is, when you raise all public employees; or when you cut taxes; or when you run a surplus.

It's pure moronism to do it when you are raising taxes, especially on people making the approximate same amount of money!

Mr. Gorbachev, establish an Electoral College!

by tommypaine on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:19:31 AM PDT