View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 4/16 (342 comments)

•  That is a lot of zeros (1+ / 0-)
      Adam B

But I believe she already officially said she was running, so I question how many people that pay attention doubted her "all-in" status.

•  I don't see what hope Rob McCord has (0+ / 0-)

especially since Emily's List is going to come to bat big, and Schwartz is already very well established in both Montgomery and North Philly.

He's massively outgunned financially and geographically. All he can do is take the primary into the gutter and divide the PA-DP with social issues like abortion, trying to tarnish Schwartz with Republican talking points and attack ads.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:13:57 AM PDT

•  McCord (2+ / 0-)
          nimh, betelgeux

McCord is a very socially liberal, but fairly fiscally conservative "New Dem" type. He definitely wouldn't run to the right on social issues. I think the best comp for him to a well known federal figure would be Mark Warner.

Long time lurker finally delurking. (24. Male. Born and currently reside: PA-8. College: PA-1. Grad School PA-2)

by phillymax on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:37:49 AM PDT

•  Not North Philly (1+ / 0-)
          Swamp Cat

Heavily blue collar and majority white Northeast Philly is very different than heavily black (and Hispanic) North Philadelphia.

Home: North Shore of Illinois, College: Main Line of Pennsylvania (PA-07)

by IllinoyedR on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:47:03 AM PDT

•  I didn't know there was a slight (0+ / 0-)

distinction of direction. The northern block that sticks out on the northside of the Philadelphia contains white-to diverse areas that are affluent, politically involved, and very liberal, and part of Schwartz's political base as well as transitions from a once Republican leaning area.

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:14:59 PM PDT

•  Map of Philadelphia's regions (1+ / 0-)
              Adam B

Here's a fairly good map of Philadelphia's regions. i would argue that North Philly's a bit bigger than it's portrayed and NW Philly is a bit smaller than it's shown as, but oh well.

Also, NE Philly is not an affluent place. It's generally lower-middle to middle income and has a large blue collar contingency (although there are some moderately moneyed sections near the Abington and Cheltenham Township lines). It's also becoming more minority heavy.

Generally, people with money from the Northeast and NE Philly natives who went to college and then made some money moved out 15-25 years ago to Montgomery or Bucks Counties and caused them to trend left. Many of these folks were Jewish (like Daylin Leach). There still is a lot of movement from the NE out to Montgomery County once NE Philly residents make enough money to move out. It's a pretty transient place that grew quickly in the 1960s and 1970s thanks to Jewish migration out of South and West Philly into the Northeast.

Home: North Shore of Illinois, College: Main Line of Pennsylvania (PA-07)

by IllinoyedR on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:30:44 PM PDT

•  Emily's List are bias (1+ / 0-)
          tommypaine

No disrespect to them, I'm for more Dem women in congress, I agree with the work they do, but they always supports Democratic women for office, always. For them it's more about gender if anything. I support Schwartz, and all I can do is hope she wins the primaries, and go on to defeat Corbett, I don't have any say since Im not a PA resident and can't vote there.

It's best to evaluate candidates base on strengths and weaknesses, and who you feel has a better chance in the general. Not just blindly support a candidate just because she's a woman.

Like the Michigan senate race for instance, I support Peters over Dingell. I think Peters is a better candidate for the general. That's should be a hold for us regardless, and if Dingell is the nom, then by all means I hope she wins.

But we should'nt kid our selves when it comes to Emily's List, in who they always support.

McCord may use this as a platform for another office, like that senate race in 2016 . And if you really want to see a nasty primary is if Kane gets in the race, since she's already been dubbed as a rising star in PA. That could be a very nasty primary to take on a very vulnarable Toomey, who's not going to be lucky this time around in a presidential type turnout election. Primaries can be healthy for the party and unify it. So hopefully it won't be nasty if those two run in 2016, cause that senate seat should be a prime pickup opportunity for us along with IL and WI.

We should'nt had lost those seats in the first place.

NY-9/NJ-10; Russians can give you arms but only the United States can give you a solution. -- Anwar Sadat

by BKGyptian89 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:50:56 PM PDT

•  ugh what? (0+ / 0-)

that's the truth. Whether you like it or not.

by BKGyptian89 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:58:36 PM PDT

•  What? That Emily's List supports only woman. (0+ / 0-)

Duh! That's so freaking obvious. It's been their mission since the started in the 80's. Besides Niki Tinker and perhaps a few more, I can't think of any off the top of my head, please tell me what was wrong with the candidates they've supported?

•  Scroll up and also read "no disrespect to them..." (0+ / 0-)

Mr. Gorbachev, establish an Electoral College!

by tommypaine on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:09:53 PM PDT

•  Just because that disclaimer is there (0+ / 0-)

doesn't mean anything. I could say no disrespect, but your an idiot. Not you of course, just an example.

•  While that is true (4+ / 0-)
                      HoosierD42, IllinoyedR, jncca, ArkDem14

You answered a six paragraph post with three letters, and then ignored the reasons stated in the post in your second reply to ask a question that was answered in the post.

Your opinion obviously differs, but "ugh" is not helpful, and then not engaging the words written isn't helpful either.

This is hardly ugh-worthy, even if you might be among those who disagree:

Mr. Gorbachev, establish an Electoral College!

by tommypaine on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:18:46 PM PDT

•  *you're (2+ / 0-)
                      HoosierD42, Audrid

Home: North Shore of Illinois, College: Main Line of Pennsylvania (PA-07)

by IllinoyedR on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:12:40 PM PDT

•  Well, they supported (2+ / 0-)
                      betelgeux, ArkDem14

the less liberal Elizabeth Esty over Chris Donovan.  In retrospect, considering his scandal, that was smart, but that wasn't their rationale.

Nikki Tinker is definitely the most egregious.

Sheila Smoot was better than Terri Sewell, and that was a Safe D seat so electability didn't have to play into it.

But more importantly, the idea that a woman is more deserving of an office than a man just because she is a man is no better than the idea that a White person is more deserving than a Black person, or a man more deserving than a woman, or a straight person more deserving than a queer one.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                      politicohen.com
                      Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
                      UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:30:36 PM PDT

•  Those are very different (4+ / 0-)
                        James Allen, ndrwmls10, askew, bumiputera

because certain groups (women, LGBT people, black people) are underrepresented in positions of power, and in a more general sense, historically screwed over by society at large. I think getting more of them into office is a valid aim. Now, I'm not going to be donating to EMILY's List anytime soon, due to the fact that they sometimes pick the less progressive candidate just because she's female (and also the fact that I don't have much to throw around). But I do generally look on them favorably as an organization.

Yes, it is bread we fight for -- but we fight for roses, too! | Pro-transit young black urban progressive | SSP/DKE | -9, -7.79 | MO-05: come for the jazz, stay for the burnt ends | Yard signs don't vote.

by gabjoh on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:38:20 PM PDT

•  Not that anyone has to be respectful (0+ / 0-)

to a political organization. They don't get to misrepresent it.

•  BKG (1+ / 0-)
                      James Allen

Accurately represented EMILY's List.

Now, I will say in EMILY's defense that they don't tend to endorse unless the female candidate in question is well-positioned to win (Nikki Tinker being an obvious exception), but BKG is absolutely right that they support women over men regardless of the candidates' relative progressivity, which in my opinion is a mistake.

25, Practical Progressive Democrat (-9.38, -8.51), Gay, IN-02 - Defeat Wacky Jackie for 2014!

by HoosierD42 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:05:31 PM PDT

•  Im not going to support a candidate just because (0+ / 0-)

she happens to be a woman. I support a candidate base on who I think is the most electable, and who has the best chance to win the general. I didn't say what they do is wrong. So don't put words in my mouth. Obviously they have a particular bias and that's fine. But they don't speak for me, maybe for for you they do but not for me.

I suggest you take your sarcasm and attitude somewhere else! And watch how you talk to ppl.

by BKGyptian89 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:16:17 PM PDT

•  Peggy Lamm (0+ / 0-)

over Ed Perlmutter.

by ArkDem14 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:40:24 PM PDT

•  She announced in February (0+ / 0-)

That she wasn't running for reelection. It was at that moment I knew she was all in.

by HoosierD42 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:00:09 PM PDT