View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 4/19 (143 comments)

•  are you from Boston? n/t (2+ / 0-)
    BeloitDem, betelgeux

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 06:43:40 AM PDT

•  No. (0+ / 0-)

I didn't know you were.

http://www.snappac.org/ Students for a New American Politics!

by redrelic17 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 06:44:21 AM PDT

•  well I'm not *from* Boston per se (3+ / 0-)
        itskevin, lordpet8, wwmiv

but I went there pretty often growing up and spent much of my summers there during my college...plus my sister and a lot of friends/acquaintances live there...

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 06:47:26 AM PDT

•  half of my extended family and a good deal (3+ / 0-)
          Englishlefty, ArkDem14, jncca

of friends live there, but one is probably more likely to both win the lottery and get struck by lightning then killed in a terrorist attack in this country.

by James Allen on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 07:51:27 AM PDT

•  that's not the problem, though (1+ / 0-)
            BeloitDem

sure, the ~200 people who were killed or injured are but a tiny microscopic fraction of the Boston metro area (and of course people at the Marathon included those from other places as well). what really differentiates it from, say, gun violence is the psychological aspect.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 08:00:01 AM PDT

•  yes, and my point was that its irrational. (1+ / 0-)
              redrelic17

by James Allen on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 08:15:22 AM PDT

•  sure (4+ / 0-)
                BeloitDem, bumiputera, R30A, MrLiberal

but with a subject as touchy as this, you can't deny human emotion. I knew from a logical standpoint there was no way my sister (who lives in Somerville) was in harm's way, but I still felt a slight sense of relief when I saw her update on Facebook.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 08:25:00 AM PDT

•  The point is "some" human emotions (0+ / 0-)

I see what you are talking about with some people, and it mystifies me.

Terrorism is visceral to some people and the ultimate nothingburger to others.  The psychological dread or concern over gun violence is something that should logically dwarf any concern over terrorism (in this country), but some people attach an extreme amount of psychological concern to something that others pay virtually no attention to.

Mr. Gorbachev, establish an Electoral College!

by tommypaine on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 12:48:25 PM PDT

•  I think it's the lack of control (4+ / 0-)

I compare it to how more people are afraid of flying than of driving, even though logically driving (or being a passenger) is much more dangerous, because people think they're in control at the wheel of a car, but are powerless inside an airplane. Similarly, it's easy to tell yourself that you can avoid gun violence by staying away from certain neighborhoods or being vigilant, etc. While terrorism, either of the bomb or school-shooter variety, forces us to confront the daily possibility, however small, that God or Fate or fractals can decide to end our lives and there's nothing we can do about it.

•  School shooters are not terrorists (0+ / 0-)

And that is the point.  Terrorism is close to non-existent in this country, while "going postal" gun violence or mere thug/robbery gun usage can occur anywhere at anytime.

Even in Boston right this very minute, people should be far more concerned about being the victim of random gun violence, or drunk drivers, than they should about terrorism.

Mr. Gorbachev, establish an Electoral College!

by tommypaine on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 01:11:48 PM PDT

•  School shooters are terrorists (2+ / 0-)
                        WisJohn, Stephen Schmitz

They're killing people they don't even know to scare / get the attention of society.

•  It depends (0+ / 0-)

I don't consider you a terrorist if you had severe mental health issues that caused you to commit your crime.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                          politicohen.com
                          Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
                          UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:01:58 PM PDT

•  That guts the definition of terrorist (1+ / 0-)
                          jncca

Mentally ill people are not terrorists.  Assholes are not terrorists.  Calling the vast majority of school shooters terrorists is a rather silly reductionism of the language.

Terrorism is political.  Terrorism is also systematic.  You don't accidentally commit terrorism.

Mr. Gorbachev, establish an Electoral College!

by tommypaine on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:24:26 PM PDT

•  I find the artificial separation (0+ / 0-)

of the "political" and "non-political" somewhat problematic. I mean, how many of these wackos had some sort of weird manifesto? To me, what makes something terrorism is if the purpose of the killing is to make a statement rather than to kill the victim.

•  "right this very minute" (0+ / 0-)

when people were on lockdown trapped in their homes...?

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 06:08:46 PM PDT

•  Perfect explanation (0+ / 0-)

I feel 10x safer driving a car than being in the passenger's seat.  While it's true I have no accidents on my record, I'm not 10x better than other people who would otherwise be driving me.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                      politicohen.com