View Diary: DKos Tour Series: Cedar Breaks National Monument (Not Bryce Canyon, But Close) (41 comments)

•  Highway 14 out of Cedar City.... (1+ / 0-)
    RiveroftheWest

got broken due to a avalanche in the canyon a while back. (A year ago?)  Has it been repaired?

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 06:33:38 PM PDT

•  the Utah Highway Department. . . (1+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest

is no slouch when it comes to clearing up messes, such as this avalanche you mentioned. So, yes, the road is clear, as far as the info I have received. One more thing: Bryan's Head, the ski resort in that neck of the woods, remains open year-round, thanks to the efforts of that department. And we're not talking small snow squalls, folks. These folks know what to do with harsh weather and I am not sure if all ski resorts can make the same claim when it comes to keeping the road open to/from their respective resorts. Thanks for posting your comment, PavePusher.

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 07:57:53 PM PDT

•  I've skiied B.H. a few times.... (1+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest

and camped at C.B. campground several times.  I love driving through there on my way from Tucson to SLC or back.

Last time I drove the Route 14 canyon, there was still 4-5 feet of snow walling the road at the top.... in April.

I'd say Alta/Snowbird has some experience with road-clearing as well, and I think they have more snow-avalanch danger.  Cedar Canyon road was cut by an actual landslide.  Not terribly surprising, as in places it's literally hanging on a cut in the cliff.  Spectacular scenery.

And I should have checked this earlier: http://www.mikehenle.com/...

My last two trips I've been: A. under time-pressure and wasn't taking the most scenic routes B. took the alternate route up 191 from the I-10 in AZ.  So I didn't check the Rt. 14 availability.  Glad to know it's open again.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 12:03:45 AM PDT

•  thanks for both commentaries. . . (1+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest

PavePusher. . .and for the embedded sight. I see you take the slow and alternate routes getting from place to place and that route you described is just about as good as it gets, scenery wise. I love driving the slower roads, too. By the way, I remember many years ago, say, in the 1970s, during my first visit to the 'Breaks how the high, planed wall of snow in late May was about ten or twelve feet high! I don't think the height mentioned is a hyperbole, but a fact of life given weather conditions in those years. Not sure if it's as high these days, but 5 to 6 feet of a planed snow wall on either side of the road, in places, that sounds about right. Again, kudos to the Utah Highway Department for doing such a fantastic job keeping the roads clear.

by richholtzin on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 06:01:25 AM PDT

•  Sorry to keep resurrecting this... (1+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest

(O.K., no, I'm not sorry at all, talking about traveling is fun!)

...I've got a few pictures of that very thing from my last road trip somewhere on my hard drive, I'll try to dig them out tonight, now that I have a new, working computer.

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 07:11:51 AM PDT

•  And by the way.... (1+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest

thanks for the amazing pictures!

It's time to go back there this year!

Your hate-mail will be graded.

by PavePusher on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 12:05:12 AM PDT