View Diary: C & J: Tuesday (208 comments)

•  Wish I could. (12+ / 0-)

That's one of the downsides of being a regular donor.  When things like this happen, and you want to help, you can't because you're not eligible yet.  I gave double reds last time, and I can't go back until July.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ.

by rb608 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:02:19 AM PDT

•  Helping before it's needed is truly generous. nt (9+ / 0-)

"The Democrats are the lesser evil and that has to count for something. Good and evil aren't binary states. All of us are both good and evil. Being less evil is the trajectory of morality." --SC

by tb92 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:28:06 AM PDT

•  Me, too. (6+ / 0-)

Funny -- the Red Cross called last night around 7 pm EDT, and she wanted me to donate blood.

I told them it would throw off my donation schedule, as I roll up my sleeve whenever the bloodmobile is scheduled to be at my workplace.

I say this every time they call, but she pressed me, which was a first: "When in June are they coming?"  I thought wow, they are in dire straits, and said I'd check when I got into work today, and if the drive wasn't until the last week or so of June I'd set something up.

A few minutes later I heard on the radio the Red Cross was saying they had enough.

"The fears of one class of men are not the measure of the rights of another." ~ George Bancroft (1800-1891)

by JBL55 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 09:08:10 AM PDT

•  Having grown up in the UK in the 80/90's (5+ / 0-)

I'm not able to give blood over here in the US :-(

I wish I could - I'm O Neg and therefore a universal donor. But CJD can take up to 20 years to manifest and so far they haven't lifted that restriction.

Which is a pity, because I'm a couple of units away from getting my Silver Heart for 50 units.

I'm a sanctimonious purist. Whatchya gonna do about it?

by speedingpullet on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:16:43 AM PDT

•  That's anticipating a need... (3+ / 0-)
      mayim, rb608, Spirit of Life

..., and doing something before it's necessary [you avoid traffic jams and other inconveniences that way].

So, don't beat yourself up over having done something before a crisis situation even presents itself.

'mkay?

Really, you should feel good about your thoughtfulness and 'being prepared' as the motto goes.

by NonnyO on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:24:05 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I know that. (2+ / 0-)
        NonnyO, Spirit of Life

I know that it's partly because of my pints in the bank that they have enough this time, but it's the immediacy of the need that makes me want to do something now.  I've been donating for decades and "all I feel is good" as the old Red Cross tagline goes.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ.

by rb608 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:22:48 PM PDT

•  {{{rb608}}} (1+ / 0-)
          rb608

I see you're wonderfully normal.  You want to do something now in a crisis, and you feel bad because you can't instantly transport to Boston to help someone do something or do something for someone affected by the blasts.

Nope, not laughing at you..., smiling because I feel the same every time there's a crisis and I can't do something, however little that may be, to help someone.

I revert back to my police dispatching days.  Everyone has a role.  Mine was (then) to see to it that the officers, ambulance, and wrecker/tow truck got to the scene of the accident without incident (i.e., I had to make sure the info I got before I sent them was correct), run driver or auto license checks for "my officers" or send whoever or whatever else they asked me to get sent to the scene so they could do their jobs efficiently.  Everyone has a role to play.  Mine was to direct the action behind the scene.  (Turns out I was very good at it, and in my old age I can finally admit it, even though I was highly praised by many and never quite believed it at the time.  I had a sultry and sexy radio voice so I always thought they were complimenting my voice, but it turns out they also complimented my abilities because I was good at those, too.)

In amidst those years a couple of times I drove upon the scene of an accident when I was on a date and we stopped to help.  Once I was told everything was under control and they didn't need extra help (as accidents go, it was minor).  Once I was actually able to help by radioing the dispatcher on duty to relay instructions from one of the officers I worked with while he was tending to an injured person - a whole car full of people rolled, everyone was thrown out (yes, high speed and drunk driving were the cause because two cars were racing down the freeway).  When that was done I talked with one of the victims who was laying in the field and injured and she needed to stay still not move like she started to do; turned out later she had some broken bones and I visited her in the hospital.

"They also serve who only stand and wait" as the saying goes (think that was the generation before me - I was born nine months after VE Day - the last war fought for all the legal and morally correct reasons in which the US was involved).

We are each cogs in a process with the ultimate goal the same: to help when something happens to our friends and relatives and neighbors.

It's the same thing that drives farmers to help out their ailing neighbor who has been hurt at spring planting or harvest time (or they help his family if he died).  They each come over and do the planting or harvest the crops for the farmer who is hurt or sick or his survivors.  The tractor or combine or grain truck drivers do their bit, the cooks bring the food, and even kids help set up tables and chairs for those who have to take a break for coffee or lunch.

It's the same thing that drives neighbors to plow out a neighbor's driveway or shovel a sidewalk in the winter, mow a lawn in the summer, or help an old or injured person carry groceries, or prompts a neighbor to feed or care for the neighbor's animals (out on the farm this means feeding them and doing milking and such, so the labor is pretty intensive).

It's the same thing that urges firefighters to go to forests or prairies and help out in a major horrible fire.

Or flood.  Or earthquake.  Or... name the crisis, and normal people want to help.

Truth is, except for necessary personnel right now, extra people in Boston would likely contaminate any crime scene, so it's better to stay away and let the forensics people do their jobs.  Later, when they've done everything they can to find out whatever it is they need to know or the physical evidence is taken away to piece things back together (because it does take longer than an hour TV show, of course), then maybe they'll need cleanup crews, but most likely they already have enough people right there in Boston or the surrounding area to help.

We can lament the selfishness of so many people in this modern culture of ours (and there are many selfish and self-centered types in this celebrity-and-reality-tv-infested culture), but the truth of it is, there are many more normal people we never hear about, and when it counts, we move heaven and earth to help each other when we can..., and feel both frustrated and guilty if we're not in their geographic location and cannot directly help - which is why the TV networks have a built-in audience for tragedy broadcasting; those of us thousands of miles away  can't directly help, the blood or money we donate doesn't seem like much, but we want to know what's going on and wish we could help somehow.

{{{rb608}}} Many, many, many, many hugs to you for having your heart in the right place, for having helped in advance, and for wanting to do more.  Yes, you can pass on the hugs....  :-)

heart of roses