View Diary: Boston Marathon bombing (315 comments)

•  Let's think about this. If you were pissed about (0+ / 0-)

gun control legislation, and you wanted to go after the Newtown families, would you use a bomb?

You'd use a gun, I bet.

Don't think this is about Newtown.

Confession time: When I'm not ranting about politics, I write romance novels

by teresahill on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 02:01:56 PM PDT

•  Bottom line is, we have no idea yet. (5+ / 0-)
      nota bene, chimpy, Portlaw, Shippo1776, Orlaine

It could be anyone, for any reason whatsoever.

•  The Marathon was dedicated to the Newtown victims (0+ / 0-)

and some Newtown parents were running in the marathon (and they are not pros, so they would bring up the rear of the race).

It would be a dereliction of duty to NOT consider that fact.

And, it's a dereliction of duty to obfuscate and pretend these damn homegrown death squads are not terrorism that thrives in the very heart of our communities.

Not overseas... here. Next door.

A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

by bronte17 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 02:07:39 PM PDT

•  Let's just wait until we have info first. (0+ / 0-)

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 02:22:47 PM PDT

•  What homegrown death squads? (0+ / 0-)

Do you have information we don't?

Have you shared it with the authorities?

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 02:29:09 PM PDT

•  Did you really think these homegrown nuts (0+ / 0-)

would stay down on the border and only target Hispanics and little brown children?

And it's okay for the US military to train them to hate and kill the foreign Iraqis or Afghans or whomever happens to be the terrorist of the day.

But, it's all self-contained "over there" and not here?

Call them what they are... homegrown death squads.

Last, but not least, the Boston Police Chief said to "make your conclusions" when asked if this was an act of terrorism.  So, I did.

And, I'm saying the local media will NOT call these guys "terrorists" if they are NOT Al Qaeda. They will be "disgruntled" or peeved or something downgraded from terrorist.

by bronte17 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 03:29:07 PM PDT

•  You made reference to homegrown death squads. (0+ / 0-)

I presumed that you knew something.

All mouth (or fingers), I guess.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 03:41:33 PM PDT

•  Just call it what it is ... terrorism (0+ / 0-)

That's what should happen.

Even if it is the local homegrown boys. The conservatives have pushed back to stop that label from being applied to their brand.

by bronte17 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 06:06:26 PM PDT

•  ON that we can agree. It is a clear terrorist act (0+ / 0-)

no matter who did it.

I almost added and no matter what the motivation.
                I can't conceive of any motivation that would render this bombing anything but a terror attack, but...that's the logic that gets people to believe that the pyramids couldn't be built without help from space aliens, so I hestitate just a bit.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 06:43:08 PM PDT

•  Dubious (0+ / 0-)

All speculation is premature.  But if someone were angry at the Newtown families, they might well use a bomb rather than a gun in order to prove that violence doesn't depend on guns.

When you're dealing with the inhuman, you're dealing with the irrational and the inscrutable. And "inhuman" is one label that's not premature.

•  Why in the hell would anybody be angry at the (0+ / 0-)

Newtown families?

Honestly, that's the kind of thing that makes the speculator look like a complete idiot.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 02:30:02 PM PDT

•  Gun nuts are always angry (0+ / 0-)

Not gun owners, obviously, but gun nuts, more or less by definition.

The Newtown families have been very visible in the news, lobbying heavily for sensible gun legislation. Unfortunately that's enough, in Wayne Pierre land, for them to be hated.

And I agree, if I were speculating that this was the motive, it would make me a complete idiot. But I have no clue what the was running through the mind or minds behind this. I was only responding to an assertion that we could rule gun legislation paranoia out as a motive, simply because the murder weapons weren't guns. I don't think anything can be ruled out at this point, except any common decency on the part of the perpetrator or perpetrators.

•  We certainly can't rule it out -- after all, we (0+ / 0-)

are the society of Charlie Manson and the Unabomber, but...

not too high on the list.

I seriously doubt that any (allowing for a fringe of truly disturbed souls) gun lover is angree at the Newtown families. They were the victims of a terrible tragedy. And yes, they are pushing for gun control, but that's easy to understand given what they've suffered.

Disagree with them vocifersously? Which they'd they'd shut up?  I can believe both of those sentiments.
            Hate?
            Not so easily.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 06:40:44 PM PDT

•  More to the point, would you pick this time and (0+ / 0-)

place to reinvigorate the call for gun control?

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 02:28:29 PM PDT