View Diary: The thing about terrorism (157 comments)

•  When I was very young... (13+ / 0-)

I considered the famous FDR quote rather trite. It was only after 9/11 that I fully comprehended the truth of his words, when I saw our leaders actively encourage us to live in fear, and the horrendous decision making that led to.

So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.
    Grieve for the victims, do what you can to help, donate to the Red Cross, give blood, and hope for justice, but don't give into fear.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

by AuroraDawn on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 08:28:51 PM PDT

•  Oh exactly true for me also and I suspect a (8+ / 0-)

number of others who caught on to Bush from the first.

His first speech after 9/11 was so far off the mark of what I expected that I was pretty speechless actually and then angry and then a battle between anger and depression at the whole neoconservative fear/war machine that literally blasted any sanity from public view.

And then I gradually realized that he proved the truth of Roosevelt's admonition in the opposite application of it.

And we still haven't entirely escaped which why I think this diary and others which mostly agree with the truth here are so important.

“April is the cruellest month, breeding/ Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing/ Memory and desire, stirring/ Dull roots with spring rain." T.S. Eliot

by blueoasis on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 10:06:06 PM PDT

•  As they have enough blood for the moment (3+ / 0-)

consider doing a platelet donation if you have the time (1-2 hours) especially if you are not type O.  I have whole blood scheduled for tomorrow (I am O negative) and a platelet donation (which will probably be a triple platelet thanks to my good platelet count) for this Saturday.  Remember, unlike whole blood platelets only have a 5 day shelf life so load up your phone with videos or even Old Time Radio shows (OTR shows can be found at archive.org) and go for it!

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 10:14:32 PM PDT

•  aside-they actually had to suspend blood donation (5+ / 0-)

at the Red Cross in Boston...they were inundated with volunteers and had the maximum amt that they could possibly process.

Since so many large hospitals are in Boston there are many other blood banks that people can try (hospital blood banks being private).

•  terrible decision-making (4+ / 0-)

and people stopped living, stopped doing what they cared about

At the time of 9-11 I was the moderator of a very active internet creative writing critique group.  After that people stopped participating and it died.  I recall telling them, if you let this dictate your lives, then the terrorists have won.

I think a certain portion of the population likes feeling afraid.

www.tapestryofbronze.com

by chloris creator on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 05:13:44 AM PDT

•  I don't think they like it as much as... (1+ / 0-)
        AuroraDawn

they are obsessed with it.  Fear manifests itself in so many ways that it can overwhelm some people's thought process.

It can snowball and sometimes even become self fulfilling prophecies.

Media and politicians and corporations love fear.  Fear sells much more than sex.  Fear will cause people to stock up on guns and bullets, duct tape, insurance, etc.

Fear also allows people to sacrifice their own self interest for perceived self preservation.  It will allow politicians to promote legislation that was unthinkable just a few days before.  Fear is the greatest motivator.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:53:10 AM PDT

•  I don't think they enjoy fear... (0+ / 0-)

certain people are simply consumed by it. It doesn't help when you have the government and Fox News actively encouraging you to fear everything. I can still remember the 24/7 fearmongering after 9/11. Thankfully, our current President is a levelheaded individual and is doing his best to keep the nation calm.

by AuroraDawn on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:06:58 PM PDT