View Diary: Things to Notice About Boston (Updated) (278 comments)

•  Could you say more about why (4+ / 0-)

that seems to be the conventional wisdom here? I'm curious because it seems to me so long as no one's claiming certainty or jumping to conclusions about things--there's little in harm in thinking about what this tragedy might be all about, putting some of the pieces provisionally together and wondering what they could mean, and sharing such musings with others on a blog.

So, why do some folks on this blog seem to want to repress in others the natural human inclination to do that, to speculate and wonder and cogitate? Are all hunches, intuitions, & inspirations to be shunned and ignored as so much unintellectual woo-woo? Why so? Who then will have the suppleness of mind & the intellectual curiosity, the reach, the imagination, to write our novels, solve our crimes, and cure our diseases--if we train intuition right out of ourselves?

Speculation--e.g., intuitive guessing or (provisionally) amplifying on the known is creative and healthy and normal,  IMHO, & can lead to many good things: scientific breakthroughs, meaningful art--or just a satisfying mental workout for people who like to ponder stuff. But somehow or other these things have developed a seriously bum rap with people around here and, I got to say, I really am bewildered by it.

Not fighting with you. Just stumped. Off me soapbox now.

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 07:09:15 PM PDT

•  I agree it's a normal human reaction (4+ / 0-)

I just think it's too easy to find facts that fit your pre-formed opinions and/or assumptions.

And I'm sure that the diarist would agree that while there are some uncontrovertable facts out there, there are not many.  At all.

Why jump to conclusions?  There's still a lot we don't know.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 07:14:24 PM PDT

•  okay :-) (2+ / 0-)
        coquiero, Troubadour

I appreciate your civil reply. This is perhaps neither the time nor the place for my commentary on the virtues of creative intuition and the like.

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 07:19:08 PM PDT

•  I think it is the time and the place. (1+ / 0-)
          aitchdee

You're not hurting the victims or their families promoting intelligent values.  It serves to challenge the pious "disaster etiquette" I mentioned that has nothing to do with constructive dialogue and everything to do with just timidly posturing to avoid giving anyone ammunition to later criticize if the facts turn out to be contrary to appearances.

It's a bad attitude to have - like saying "Just ignore the chainsaw-juggling clown in the street - you don't know why he's there, and mentioning him might make you seem naive and ignorant."

Democracy is a habit, not a circumstance.

by Troubadour on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:36:48 AM PDT

•  here, this is why I'm (7+ / 0-)

repressing people.

Start with this diary. Make sure to scroll down thru the comments.

Then read the diary that I posted the next day, once all the facts were in.

There are any number of additional examples of this phenomenon. Remember all those people who turned into forensic experts overnight when discussing footage of 9/11? What about the Duke lacrosse case? Or how about the Anthony Weiner debacle? (I was initially convinced it was a hoax, based on who his accusers were; the definition of argumentem ad hominem.)

Fools rush in....

•  The problem is that this argument can be used, (3+ / 0-)
      coquiero, aitchdee, triv33

with exactly equal validity, to "justify" the winger speculations about "Islamic terror" that are already rampant. They also are "thinking about what this tragedy might be all about."

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:27:10 AM PDT

•  I really, really do hear what you're saying (1+ / 0-)
        PhilJD

Clearly there's not shortage of people in this country (or at least in the comment sections of many of our major online news outlets) who don't know the difference between tentative, responsible speculation based on known facts--and summary conclusion based on nothing at all (except perhaps their own psychological problems).

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:06:12 PM PDT