View Diary: Open thread for night owls: On leaping to conclusions about bombings (189 comments)

•  Does it even matter who? (2+ / 0-)
    Gooserock, Shippo1776

Except for purposes of prosecution of course.

If this was for a cause then I don't want to reward that cause with a single electron of publicity.

If it was from a member of some identifiable group, such as Elbonians, I don't want to see anything contribute to prejudice against them.

Freedom isn't free. Patriots pay taxes.

by Dogs are fuzzy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 08:48:38 PM PDT

•  To the Nation It's Almost the Only Thing That Mat- (0+ / 0-)

ters.

It doesn't matter at all to the victims and their families.

This is a distinction that cost us a very likely solidly good President Dukakis.

by Gooserock on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 08:56:51 PM PDT

•  To all decent people it should not matter (4+ / 0-)

who, so long as the perp is brought to justice.

For those seeking to reinforce their prejudices and validate their conspiracy theories, on the other hand, it's the most important thing of all.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 08:57:02 PM PDT

•  And I cannot wait to see the day. They will be (2+ / 0-)
        DeadHead, JeffW

caught.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 09:43:09 PM PDT

•  I don't understand why "decency" is at issue. (1+ / 0-)
        aitchdee

© grover

by grover on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:52:41 AM PDT

•  Because I don't consider those looking for (0+ / 0-)

a specific profile of perpetrator before the facts are established, or people who live to perpetuate conspiracy theories that only fan flames of paranoia and hatred, to be decent people.

They're part of the problem, not the solution.

Though I will admit there were probably better words than "decent" I could've used to articulate my point. Not a lot of forethought prior to the comment.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:19:34 AM PDT

•  In other words (2+ / 0-)
            grover, aitchdee

Prior to the perpetrator being caught, because it breeds misinformation and might result in groups of people being wrongly suspected and "persecuted." (Muslims, for example)

After the person has been caught, it certainly does matter, though care should be exercised so as to not unfairly pin the actions of one individual on an entire group.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:36:48 AM PDT

•  Ah. (2+ / 0-)
              DeadHead, aitchdee

Ok. Some others are saying "who" really doesn't matter, except that we catch those responsible and justice is done.

Period, end of story.

I don't see how we can possibly believe that especially when we don't even know who it is or what their motivstions may have been.

I'm not being a bleeding-heart liberal who has sympathies for a misguided murdering terrorist. I'm not a FBI profiler-wanna-be (blame the brown guy!) kneejerk reactor either.

I just don't see how we can make any decisions at all right now...

© grover

by grover on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:48:15 AM PDT

•  And... (1+ / 0-)
                grover

We are in complete and total agreement. My poorly worded original comment was an attempt to say the same thing: no decisions without facts, otherwise, witchhunts might result.

I can see how you might have read my comment as the "doesn't matter, period."

Probably because it said everything but the "period" part. ;)

Brain-fried, I am.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:59:26 AM PDT

•  It's late. (2+ / 0-)
                  aitchdee, DeadHead

Why are we still up?

© grover

by grover on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:33:04 AM PDT

•  You goonie, grover! ;^) (1+ / 0-)
                    DeadHead

LOL, I was just about to ask you that! I suspect you and I are in the same time zone, and ... (yaaaaawn) it's dang late here.

I'm up because I'm all keyed-up, obsessing on news updates out of Boston. What're you doing? The same?

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:41:14 AM PDT

•  25 hours later, I'm asking myself the same (0+ / 0-)

question.

LOL. Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. Must've fallen asleep. ;)

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 03:31:45 AM PDT

•  Yes it matters who , (4+ / 0-)
      JClarkPDX, 88kathy, JeffW, akmk

if they are planning more bombs ,
      if they are part of a group .

Drop the name-calling MB 2/4/11 + Please try to use ratings properly! Kos 9/9/11

by indycam on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 09:09:55 PM PDT

•  It matters. I jumped to right conclusion in '95 (3+ / 0-)
        WB Reeves, the good witch, JeffW

My boss  was a New York pol with designs on the Governor's mansion. I saw the first reports of the blast in Oklahoma City and mentioned it. My boss said something about the "Towelheads". I replied that I didn't think the Towelheads know where Okla City is...that I would be surprised if it was Arab terrorism. I remembered the story on NPR earlier in the morning about the Waco anniversary. I made the predictive leap right then and there, because 2 + 2 = 4.

18 year later -- still....2+2=4.

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 09:50:11 PM PDT

•  It matters to me. (4+ / 0-)
      aitchdee, chloris creator, JeffW, akmk

If we are breeding rightwing extremists and still pretending they don't exist (because it hurts conservatives's feelings) not funding that area of law enforcement the way we should, then heck yes, it matters.

If this is the work of another nut job that listens to rightwing calls to action all day, then yes, it matters.

If this guy is seriously messed up mentally and slipped through a bazillion cracks, then yes, it matters.

If this is a middle-easterner outraged by a decade of war waged upon his people, of course it matters.

What if we find out this guy tried to buy a Bushmaster but was turned down because of background checks or local laws? Yes, three people are dead, and over 100 injured, many critically so. But we know how ruthlessly efficiently lethal semi-automatic rifles are.

Until we know the facts, we don't know what else is important

All of these should lead to thoughtful conversation, and in most of these, nearly instant action by our political leadership. They won't stand up to the gun lobby. There isn't  a bomb lobby too, is there?

There are many things wrong with our society. In most of those cases, industry (from defense contractors, gun manufacturers, etc)  stands in the way of real action. Maybe this time can be different.

This wasn't a random crime. We may be able to learn from it, how to stop others like him/them and how to prevent people like this long term.

Family members of many mass murder victims go on to dedicate themselves to changing our society and/or its laws.

Until we know the facts, it's hard to know what it all means. But I certainly hope that learning "who" leads us to learning "why" leads us to a better society overall.

© grover