View Diary: Debate on gun bill delayed as Reid, Manchin, Toomey and Biden seek needed votes (117 comments)

•  In my opinion that was demonizing the NRA (4+ / 0-)

which is quite appropriate.

As many RKBAers point out, gun owners are not synonymous with the NRA.

I have no problem whatsoever with responsible gun owners.

I have a problem with irresponsible ones, including those who oppose limiting magazine sizes, universal background checks, those who think that registration=confiscation, and those who stockpile weapons.

Those gun owners are aligned with the NRA,

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:22:06 PM PDT

•  Nice to know that, for you, "responsible" means (2+ / 0-)
      noway2, ancblu

"Agrees with me."

So I, who own over thirty firearms, keep a couple of thousand rounds of ammunition on hand, cast my own bullets, reload my own ammunition, and disagree with you on the best policies to reduce violence in our society, am "irresponsible", despite the fact that my guns are stored locked and unloaded, I've taught my wife and children gun and shooting safety, (they're not the same thing,) and neither I nor anyone else has ever harmed anyone with any of the guns I have ever owned or used?

One of our definitions of "responsible" has to be wrong.

--Shannon

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." -- Emiliano Zapata Salazar
      "Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 01:27:43 PM PDT

•  I don't know your personal story or (1+ / 0-)
        Glen The Plumber

circumstances, but I think gun culture in the US is out of control, and I can't see any reason why one person would have a need for 30 weapons and thousands of rounds of ammo, outside of a warlord in Mogadishu or a drug lord in Latin America.

I think the general argument goes, "But it's my right, it's enshrined in the Constitution."

If you need weapons on a working farm, I get that.  If you're a hunter, I get that.  You feel the need for a weapon for personal protection, I get that.  There are many, many reasons that I can see owning a weapon, or even multiple weapons.  Giving children the training you talk about, especially if there are guns in the house, that's a great idea.

But without wanting to be inflammatory or personally insult you, I do think it's irresponsible to have that number of weapons and ammo.  There are too many variables that are out of your control.

It is your right, enshrined in the Constitution.  That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:04:10 PM PDT

•  Lots of reasons... (1+ / 0-)
          noway2

At least one for each gun,  often more. Many of them different. "Because I like them" applies to all of them,  though... I don't keep guns I don't like.

Very few are things I "need"... but then, I don't "need" either of my motorcycles, or the rv,  or the dune buggy, or the bicycles, or a whole bunch of the stuff I own. Hell, the motorcycles are arguably more dangerous than the guns, at least in the sense that my risks are far less under my control.

"Need" simply isn't relevant to the discussion.

--Shannon

"Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:42:24 PM PDT

•  "Want" isn't in the 2nd Amendment either... (1+ / 0-)
            coquiero

there's a clearly defined purpose to the Right to Keep and Bear Arms... "because I want them" isn't in there...

Oh, and I thought car and motorcycle ownership weren't "rights"? That's the default argument against gun registration from you folks, isn't it? Make up your mind...

Baby, where I come from...

by ThatSinger on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:19:36 PM PDT

•  Perhaps it should be (0+ / 0-)

then we might be better able to have a conversation about responsibility.

And about this:

I can only say, the people who are most confident about their "sense of control" are the ones I worry about the most.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:45:29 PM PDT

•  simply an observation... (0+ / 0-)

Statistically,  I have no idea which is the more dangerous. And I don't think it really matters much. Both are dangerous,  and require active risk management to be used at all.

All I was noting is that it seems to me that more of the risks in the case of the motorcycle come from outside factors. Short of a mechanical malfunction, my gun is unlikely to harm me or others while I'm using it unless I do something stupid. The risk of others is there, of course, unless you shoot alone, but the balance is different... There are simply more "others" around when riding. It's also true,  at least in my experience, that shooters tend to be more careful when shooting than drivers are when driving. Probably because the danger is more obvious.

--Shannon

"Dissent is patriotic. Blind obedience is treason." --me

by Leftie Gunner on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 06:49:58 PM PDT

•  No, they are much more aligned with Gun Owners of (0+ / 0-)

America, which is much nastier than the NRA, as hard as that might be to believe. NRA membership is nothing like NRA leadership. GOA is actually aligned within itself.

Ceterem censeo, gerrymandra delenda est

by Mokurai on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:37:51 PM PDT

• Rescued (20)
  • Media (20)
  • Politics (19)
  • 2016 (19)
  • Environment (17)
  • Science (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site