View Diary: Republicans embrace Social Security cuts they'll blame on Obama (294 comments)

•  Saul Alinsky (4+ / 0-)
    For Alinsky, organizing is the process of highlighting whatever he believed to be wrong and convincing people they can actually do something about it. The two are linked. If people feel they don’t have the power to change a situation, they stop thinking about it.
     According to Alinsky, the organizer — especially a paid organizer from outside — must first overcome suspicion and establish credibility. Next the organizer must begin the task of agitating: rubbing resentments, fanning hostilities, and searching out controversy. This is necessary to get people to participate. An organizer has to attack apathy and disturb the prevailing patterns of complacent community life where people have simply come to accept a situation. Alinsky would say, "The first step in community organization is community disorganization."

Through a process combining hope and resentment, the organizer tries to create a "mass army" that brings in as many recruits as possible from local organizations, churches, services groups, labor unions, corner gangs, and individuals.

According to Alinsky, the main job of the organizer is to bait an opponent into reacting. "The enemy properly goaded and guided in his reaction will be your major strength."[2]

Saul Alinsky

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 09:09:39 AM PDT

•  Live in hope. n/t (3+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, 3goldens, elwior

"George RR Martin is not your bitch" ~~ Neil Gaiman

by tardis10 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 09:13:31 AM PDT

•  Your point in this diary please ? (2+ / 0-)
      3goldens, Free Jazz at High Noon

Move Single Payer Forward? Join 18,000 Doctors of PNHP and 185,000 member National Nurses United

by divineorder on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 09:27:00 AM PDT

•  Do You Think Chicago Community Organizer (1+ / 0-)
        joe from Lowell

Saul Alinsky's methodology might have some relevance today, especially with regard to this issue?

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 09:29:51 AM PDT

•  Was hoping you would share your thinking on its (2+ / 0-)
          3goldens, Free Jazz at High Noon

application.

by divineorder on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:01:08 AM PDT

•  Do You Think If Your Opponents Reactions To (1+ / 0-)
            joe from Lowell

An event are highly predictable, that that would be useful from a strategic standpoint?

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:06:00 AM PDT

•  Ah, you ARE (3+ / 0-)

making an 11 dimension chess argument.  And.....there goes your credibility.

Arrrr, the laws of science be a harsh mistress. -Bender B. Rodriguez

by democracy inaction on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:25:49 AM PDT

•  Political Positioning Is Some Alien Concept to You (1+ / 0-)
            joe from Lowell

Apparently.

And yet, you post on a site dedicated to politics. How odd.

Since when is politics 11th dimensional chess?

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:27:25 AM PDT

•  Apparently (1+ / 0-)
              Free Jazz at High Noon

obliviousness is a concept that is not foreign to you at all.

Arrrr, the laws of science be a harsh mistress. -Bender B. Rodriguez

by democracy inaction on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:37:47 AM PDT

•  My Such Hostility! So, Not Interested In Actual (1+ / 0-)
                joe from Lowell

Discussion? Just here to vent bile and have people agree with you then?

Have fun!

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 10:44:12 AM PDT

•  Seriously. A poison pill isn't complicated chess. (1+ / 0-)
              Beetwasher

It's Politics 101.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:36:31 AM PDT

•  When you are giving your opponent the rope with (2+ / 0-)
                TheUnknown285, greenbell

which to hang himself, you don't attach one end around your own neck, or worse, the necks of your family.

Enjoy that 1 rec, joe, looks like a strong political position.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:52:20 AM PDT

•  This is the fourth time he's done this. (1+ / 0-)
                  Beetwasher

Tell me, did he have a rope around his neck in the 2012 campaign, after the debt ceiling talks?

How about after the fiscal cliff talks?

How about after the SuperCommittee?

Is there going to come a point where you learn from experience?

The truth is not a popularity contest.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 03:07:08 PM PDT

•  And when did he or the rest of the (1+ / 0-)
                    Cynical at Best

Democratic Party gain the supposed benefit of having done these things?

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:56:36 PM PDT

•  Debt ceiling...fiscal cliff talks...supercommittee (0+ / 0-)

Thanks for reminding us all of the betrayals of the President. Now that he's been reelected, presumably due to the positioning on the above mentioned issues, he can govern as a true progressive, right? Oh, wait... Gotta "position" more so we can win the next election... and then position some more... at some point you have to stop positioning and start governing the way the people who elected you want you to.

•  Throwing your values, your rhetoric, and your (2+ / 0-)
              TheUnknown285, greenbell

constituency under the bus for political position is a terrible idea.

I don't think Saul Alinsky would approve.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:50:24 AM PDT

•  I've Provided Evidence of EXACTLY What Alinsky (1+ / 0-)
                NedSparks
                Approves of and his methodology.

You've given nothing but your opinion.

Alisnky believes:

Hmmm, I believe that by including CCPI in his budget proposal, it seems Obama has accomplished exactly that.
                The GOP seems pretty goaded to me as well.

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:55:58 AM PDT

•  Goaded? Giddy, more like... (1+ / 0-)
                  TheUnknown285

Democrats have no ideological moorings remaining. There is a gap between rhetoric, values and policy, and that is not at all a position of political strength.

It's why Democrats have been tracking right, chasing independent, focus grouped rhinos. The further they go, the less serious that they can be taken.

Democrats and Republicans are going to vote for this. It will be a bipartisan 'grand bargain' put forth by the President and passed by 'serious' people.

The end.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:00:19 PM PDT

•  Love Your Crystal Ball!! (1+ / 0-)
                    NedSparks

You've seen the future and know how this will play out! With certainty!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Amazing Kreskin!  Bravo sir!

Again, this is your opinion /theory about how this may play out. Why is YOUR theory any better than anyone elses?

The GOP is in disarray over this. It seems you haven't noticed. First, they come out screaming to protect SS. Then Boner tells everyone to shut the fuck up. Now they seem to be emracing  cuts.

You're telling me that the GOP on the record embracing cuts to SS is a BAD thing going into '14?

Really?

Oh, that's right, you're crystal ball tells you so! Thanks Kreskin!

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:04:18 PM PDT

•  Republicans have been trying to do this since (2+ / 0-)
                      greenbell, Cynical at Best

Goldwater.

This isn't some kind of quick hit, super nimble and athletic move. This is in their wheelhouse. It's their historical chosen policy. It's their turf.

LIEberman wanted to in the late 90s, and I think Gore would have traded the lockbox for some kind of chipping away at Social Security and Medicare, but can't be sure.

They've just not been able to get a Democrat to pull the trigger.

If you wanted to go all Alinsky on them you would accuse them of Sabotaging Obama and the Economy. And force them to own up to the fact that they wanted to sabotage America so they could please their wealthy donors and corporate sponsors.

That's our turf. Standing up for the little guy. Making progress. Bettering our citizenry.

Nope...
                      "Democratic President Obama cut Social Security."

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:28:31 PM PDT

•  How Did Dems "Pull The Trigger?" Has Something (0+ / 0-)

Been implemented?

What are you talking about?

Obama proposed this budget. Not Dems. Nothing's been implemented.

Indeed, they have. And you think somehow they will be able to pin the blame on Democrats for them seizing upon the cuts in OBAMA's proposal?

Really?

After adovicating for decades to privatize and destroy SS?

You think they are that nimble to walk that line and keep their coalitions together to pull that off?

Really?

How did a Dem Pres. cut SS? Has something been cut that I missed?

You've already decided how this is going to play out.  You apparently believe there is no other possibilities as to how this can play out.

That's pretty narrow minded and short sighted, don't you think?

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:32:16 PM PDT

•  How do you fail (0+ / 0-)

to understand that the President has been seen as the leader of his party since at least Jackson? As leader of the Democratic Party, is it absurd to think that he speaks for them? Voters dont sit down and do a cost-benefit analysis when they make a voting decision, they use heuristics. Shortcuts. One of the most common is looking at the positions of notable leaders and taking that as the position of the party. This has been documented in peer-reviewed academic political psychology journals for 40 years now...

•  How Do You Fail To Understand That (0+ / 0-)

We are dealing with unprecedented situations that may require non-conventional solutions?

Perhaps Obama was serious when he maintained he was going to change the way business is done in Washington.

Let me ask you this:

You Seem To Think Your Focus On Minutiae Prevails.
                            It doesn't.
                            18 months from now, in local congressional districts across the country, if Dem rep A is running on protecting SS, and GOP loony rep B is running on whatever the fuck he's somehow cobbling together...Who YOU gonna vote for?

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:02:22 PM PDT

•  Your entire premise (0+ / 0-)

is that Obama can propose this and look like a moderate and then democrats can oppose it and look like defenders of ss. This premise is based off the idea that the average voter pays enough attention to tell the difference between the views of the leader of the DP and the views of congressmen in the DP. Sorry but they don't. You haven't done anything in your reply to even address that criticism. You may understand 11th dimensional chess but you screw up big time when you start to think the average voter does.

"if Dem rep A is running on protecting SS, and GOP loony rep B is running on whatever the fuck he's somehow cobbling together...Who YOU gonna vote for?"

First of all, Rep A might be running on protecting SS but the GOP candidate will be running on the same thing, just like they did when Paul Ryan proposed to gut Medicare, they ran on protecting and preserving Medicare. So I imagine folks in that district will vote for their party and independents will be so confused by all the lies that who knows who theyll vote for. They certainly wont perceive any reason to vote for the Dems.

•  Obama Is Not Running For Anything (0+ / 0-)

His image is irrelevant.

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:34:31 PM PDT

•  Wrong. Voters still take his views (0+ / 0-)

as cues for what the DP is thinking. Why wouldn't they?

•  So, You Would Vote For Your Local GOP Rep (0+ / 0-)

if he told you he was protecting SS?

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:45:31 PM PDT

•  A swing voter might. Especially when he's running (0+ / 0-)

ads showing Obama supporting cuts and then claiming the dem opponent supports them too. Doesnt matter if its a lie people arent going to run to their computers and start fact-checking.

•  That's Certainly The Risk, However, When You Add (0+ / 0-)

Equality, Immigration, guns, jobs to the equation...What happens?

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:52:16 PM PDT

•  And you didnt respond to anything else in the post (0+ / 0-)

You clearly have nothing to say so Ill stop wasting my time.

•  Nothing Else Was Relevant (0+ / 0-)

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:46:24 PM PDT

•  Nah. You've just lost the debate so you decided to (0+ / 0-)

shut up. No shame in that.

•  If You Say So, Champ! (0+ / 0-)

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 07:50:07 PM PDT

•  Why is YOUR theory any better than anyone elses? (0+ / 0-)

It's based on actual observations?

•  Never Said It Was Better, In Fact (0+ / 0-)

I've always maintained I could be wrong.

It's certainly possible that Obama is deluded, naive or evil. He's human, those are all possibilities.

However, if I am going to judge the man, I will do so holistically.

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 06:56:32 PM PDT

•  You still think the President (0+ / 0-)

is some sort of community organizer? You're in fantasy land.

He never was one. Even when he was supposed to be one he represented real estate developers as much as the community, while getting his foot in the door for a political career.

You think he's a follower of Alinsky? Don't make me laugh.

We decided to move the center farther to the right by starting the whole debate from a far-right position to begin with. - Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay

by denise b on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:41:49 PM PDT

•  So NOW He's Never Been A Community Organizer? (0+ / 0-)

Oh dear. Just let all your conspiracy theories hang out! Get 'em out! ROFL!!

by Beetwasher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 02:44:53 PM PDT

•  "11-dimensional chess" is a term naive people use (2+ / 0-)
            Beetwasher, jdsnebraska

to make it sound like it isn't naive to take everything professional politicians say at face value.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 11:35:13 AM PDT

•  11-dimenisonal chess was a term coined by (1+ / 0-)
              Cynical at Best

supporters of the President and it was used often on this site by them to excuse his policies and tactics by implying and directly stating that his critics weren't smart enough to keep up with Obama's moves.  Many Obama supporters even posted pictures of chess games to go with it. It wasn't until so many people started laughing out loud at the thought of 11-dimensional chess that supporters stopped liking the term so much.

Don't trust anyone over 84414

by BentLiberal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 05:05:04 PM PDT

•  Obamabots invented the term 11th dimensional chess (0+ / 0-)

Geez I thought only Republicans tried to rewrite history.