View Diary: Getting to Know Your Solar System (28): Saturn (Vol. 3) (42 comments)

•  Great series and pictures, but (3+ / 0-)

where's Pluto on your list?  I know some people don't consider it officially a planet anymore, but I would still think it deserves its own page (at least as much as Phobos and Deimos do).

"Optimism is better than despair." --Jack Layton, the late Canadian MP, liberal, and Christian.

by lungfish on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 05:00:40 PM PDT

•  There's not much to see yet of Pluto. (2+ / 0-)

Most of what we know about it is also highly relevant to the rest of the large Kuiper Belt and Scattered Disk objects.  Also, it's hard to make a case for it being specifically relevant to humanity except as a member of a population of objects that will all become available to us at roughly the same time in our history.  As an individual object, it's way too highly inclined and eccentric to be particularly attractive.

On the other hand, if the 2015 New Horizons flyby was happening soon, I could probably give it its own page with the images that are created, but short of that it's best dealt with in the context of its population.

Phobos and Deimos are profoundly relevant to our future - and also have awesome images - because of their relationship with Mars.

Democracy is a habit, not a circumstance.

by Troubadour on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 05:21:44 PM PDT

•  About me... (2+ / 0-)
        Troubadour, Khun David

"As an individual object, it's way too highly inclined and eccentric to be particularly attractive."

People probably say that about me...

On a more serious note, manned exploration of any other planet is a very distant prospect politically, due to NASA cutbacks, relatively little public interest, and the inherent dangers (as seen in the destruction of two space shuttles).  I don't say this because I like it that way; in fact, I'm very much in favor of manned space exploration.  People around here (including me) really disliked George W. Bush, but one of the few things I liked about him was his advocacy of a manned Mars mission, even when the idea was derided all over the political spectrum.  I also dislike the tendency some liberals have to insist that space programs are an extravagance, and should be cut in the name of more terrestrial human needs (is that really an either/or proposition)?

by lungfish on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:59:53 AM PDT

•  Don't worry. I track space developments (2+ / 0-)
          Khun David, lungfish

and I can tell you that Good Things are in store this decade.  Very Good Things.  And that's not just me being optimistic.

Democracy is a habit, not a circumstance.

by Troubadour on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 08:56:53 AM PDT

•  Well, I hope you're right and I'm wrong. n/t (2+ / 0-)
            Troubadour, Khun David

by lungfish on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 11:42:18 AM PDT

•  A lot of great stuff has already happened. (2+ / 0-)
              lungfish, Khun David

SpaceX has reduced the cost to orbit by like 75%, and they'll be launching a new version of their rocket in June that does even better and will be the most advanced rocket ever launched (though not the most powerful).  They'll also be unveiling Dragon 2 this year - the spacecraft that will be able to land itself back on Earth under power or, not too much later, land on the Moon or Mars.  It's supposedly drastically different from the current Dragon.  Elon Musk has described it as looking like an "alien spacecraft."

Democracy is a habit, not a circumstance.

by Troubadour on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 12:24:59 PM PDT

•  Meh... (1+ / 0-)
      Troubadour

"We’re not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people." - Rep. Paul Ryan

by Khun David on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 11:34:02 AM PDT

•  Thanks. I hadn't known that there was a time (1+ / 0-)
        Khun David

when school children were taught that Ceres, Pallas, Juno, and Vesta were planets.  I'd assumed it was purely a matter of interest to astronomers.

Democracy is a habit, not a circumstance.

by Troubadour on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 12:41:36 PM PDT