View Diary: VA Opposes Bi-Partisan Bill to Increase Assistance to Military Sexual Assault Victims (17 comments)

•  llbear, what should we do that's fair? (4+ / 0-)
    llbear, DaNang65, dannyboy1, drnatrl

Other than fix the $#@%!& budgeting process and raise some revenue from the beneficiaries of all the wars we've fought in my lifetime, none of which we declared as actual wars through the Congressional process, so that the people who fought and bled and sweated but didn't die "over there so we don't have to fight them over here" don't continue to have to fight against what look like Thermopylean odds now that they're home?

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 12:46:41 PM PDT

BlackSheep1, llbear, drnatrl

I think I understand where Ilbear's coming from too. However, I'm sure resources (more effectively and efficiently directed, and based on the magnitude of the problems, more resources period) would help a lot. Also, from what I'm gathering, good communications within and between parts of the organization is really bad. They're not making best use of human and material resources they've got, I'm sure.

I discover myself on the verge of a usual mistake. ― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

by dannyboy1 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 04:34:09 PM PDT

•  we're lucky in West Texas (4+ / 0-)
        llbear, DaNang65, dannyboy1, drnatrl

to have the Big Spring hospital. The North Texas hospital in Dallas is as good as something that big can be, too, I'm told.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 04:52:22 PM PDT

•  Are the VA's women's clinics working well? (4+ / 0-)
          DaNang65, dannyboy1, BlackSheep1, drnatrl

The Portland VA's Women's Clinic is doing a great job - according to a woman with whom I talked about 45 minutes ago. [I had to pick up some pain meds.]

Those who fought the war in Afghanistan won it. Get them out of Afghanistan NOW . . . It's long past time. To vote for me at NN13: \a href=nn13.democracyforamerica.com/applicants/92/a< Thank you

by llbear on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 06:15:14 PM PDT

•  from what I have seen (2+ / 0-)
            dannyboy1, drnatrl

they seem to be.
            I understand UMC in Lubbock is planning to augment the Lubbock clinic's service to vets. Don't know how soon.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 08:20:21 PM PDT

•  I share your frustration. (3+ / 0-)
      BlackSheep1, dannyboy1, drnatrl

I wish I had an answer. I don't. But to throw these women into the current mess makes me think help could be deferred even longer.

by llbear on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 06:12:16 PM PDT

•  I just wish we had a way to *fix* (3+ / 0-)
        DaNang65, dannyboy1, drnatrl

the Congress.
        Vote 'em out? Don't make me laugh. A job in Congress is a sinecure, and a fast ride on a heavy-duty gravy train too.

Both cameras thereof have, IMNVHO, failed to lead, let alone to represent, and both are filled with self-satisfied preening grandstanders so isolated from their constituents that they can write stuff back in response like the reply I got from Randy Neugebauer today that President Obama hasn't given clear goals for NASA, so funding NASA is wasteful, yada yada yada.

Some days, the stupid beyond burns.

But as long as the parts of our government we depend on to answer the needs of our people depend on the Congress for funding, we're doomed to have to listen to these grandstanding naysaying fussbudget isolates and their nattering, negative nabobery.

Apparently there's a law against changing their pay.
        Is there a law that we can't change their tax rates?
        Is there a law that we can't force them to NOT pile up campaign monies, and then after their campaigns stash the remainder in personal funds? (If it walks like a bribe, and quacks like a bribe, and looks like a bribe ...)

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 06:20:42 PM PDT