View Diary: Kolaches (145 comments)

•  Yum yum (24+ / 0-)

When I lived in Chicago, the grandmother of a friend of a friend made homemade kolache for us ... with hot chocolate for me since I don't drink coffee.  Happy memories.

The kolache from the Czech Stop are good too ... I like the cheese ones (please don't tell me that they are not authentic).

And thanks for the recipe ... I will try it one of these days when I can find some victims to feed.

It is so awful that community has to come 'round the tragedy of West.  My heart breaks for the community and then I get angry at human greed and stupidity.

"Life without liberty is like a body without spirit. Liberty without thought is like a disturbed spirit." Kahlil Gibran, 'The Vision'

by CorinaR on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 10:59:47 AM PDT

•  Cheese ones are awesome. (13+ / 0-)

I saw some in a Prague grocery store, but it was a Tesco so I didn't buy any.

You..ought to be out raising hell. This is the fighting age. Put on your fighting clothes. -Mother Jones

by northsylvania on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 11:25:30 AM PDT

•  there are tescos outside england? (3+ / 0-)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with a-holes - William Gibson. (-9.75 / -9.05)

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 04:39:44 PM PDT

•  Sometimes (4+ / 0-)

I think that they, like Pinky, have taken over the world. In Europe they are generally called Tescos, but in the US they were Fresh and Easy, a half-baked concept that had a massive fail.

by northsylvania on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 04:53:54 PM PDT

•  good. i'm glad. they're horrid. (5+ / 0-)

we have enough home grown horridity right here on our own.

they are simply everywhere in england.  i live on and off in a small small town of 5000 in england.  there's a giagantic tescos there.  one in the next town over of approx. 6000 people.  one in the next one over from there.  and so on.
            i don't know how they all thrive, but they seem to.

there is nothing more ungodly depressing than shopping for wilted vegetables  in a cavernous tescos on a dark winter day.

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 04:59:57 PM PDT

•  Tesco (0+ / 0-)

I've only been in Tesco's in England, and have to agree.  Once I was chatting with an English friend and he remarked that a division of his company had moved to Slough (an armpit of England), and I made a little stream of consciousness poem about Slough and a Tesco store there.  Just very silly, but we had a chuckle.

Far away, and
              fourteen months since,
              the windmills of Slough turn,
              turn,
              turn.
              Five-grain bread at least, we need,
              Hovis-like, to stiffen lips, heart, male apparatus.
              Some think it end-of-the-line;
              others, gateway to the Great West.
              We know it as Mother Slough,
              cradle of science, high street beyond peer,
              its Tesco replete with Scottish Beef and low carbon footprint;
              it probably even has an MP.

Real plastic here; none of that new synthetic stuff made from chicken feathers. By the morning of 9/12/2001 the people of NYC had won the War on Terror.

by triplepoint on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:45:28 AM PDT

•  my mom grew up in chicago (10+ / 0-)

and although not czech, she made kolache for us all the time when we were kids in california.

those ethnic neighborhoods, they created an extended family via recipes.

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 04:39:12 PM PDT

•  My mother (11+ / 0-)

My mother (nee Vavrick) was born in Chicago. Both her parents were born in Chicago along 22nd Street now Cermak. (The only mayor of Chicago of Czech ancestry.)  Their parents came from what is today the Czech Republic.

Both my grandparents spoke Czech and would speak Czech when they did not want anyone to understand what they were talking about.

My maternal grandparents had a retirement farm at the southwest corner of Michigan just over the Indiana border near Lake Michigan.

Each year the cousins went there and our grandmother and her maiden sister made kolaches and the best apple strudel I have ever had.

When we would go to Chicago, there was invariably a trip to Berwyn (where I was born) for a Czech bakery.

I miss them.

I have never been to this part of Texas.  One more reason to go.

[Medicare, and Medicaid, and Social Security] do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great.

by MoDem on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 07:16:32 PM PDT

•  awesome. my mom's family had a little (3+ / 0-)
          surfermom, northsylvania, Ahianne

place near lake michigan, in michigan.  blueberries.  wicker furniture.  screen doors.   docks to dive off.  weird for a california kid, because lake michigan is more than a lake but less than  the pacific ocean.

my mom was from the coast of dalmatia, and what she couldn't do with a basic yeast dough probably wasn't worth doing.   potica.  all kinds of bread.  swirled coffee cakes.  pull apart lemon breads.  all kinds of recipes she had gotten from other ethnic groups in chicago.

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 08:49:10 PM PDT

•  Blueberries (0+ / 0-)

And, we were there during blueberry season and picked them to make a little money.

I will always have those memories.

by MoDem on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 11:49:04 AM PDT

•  Both my mother's parents came from Prague (3+ / 0-)
          surfermom, northsylvania, Ahianne

as young people in their early teens; my mother learned to bake Czech recipes by watching her mother, who did not have written recipes but measured things out by eye or palm of the hand. Or maybe she learned from a Czech family in Chicago where I think her father sent her to work in someone's kitchen when she was a teenager (my sister and I think he pocketed any wages).

But I think we had apple strudel more than kolaches; it was a true holiday dish. It was based on an egg-dough square (lots of egg yolks, and just enough flour to make it stretchy) that rested on a clean dishtowel on the dining room table, pulled out to be about three feet wide, onto which went breadcrumbs fried in butter, apple slices, handfulls of whole almonds (skins removed first after a brief soak in boiling water) and quantities of grated lemon peel - maybe even some lemon flavoring - and I suppose some sugar.

Then, very carefully, this was rolled up into a big long roundish rectangle, and that was rolled carefully off the towel, seam-side down, into the biggest baking pan. Not sure of the baking time, but once out of the oven and a little cooler, powdered sugar would be dusted lightly over the crust.

It kept well for days, with the wonderful toughish, tasty eggy dough on the inside turns (and everything else) getting better each time.

•  And a bit more history - (2+ / 0-)
            surfermom, northsylvania

Her father was a circuit preacher to Czech communities from Cleveland to Texas, where on Sundays they might take a horse and wagon out into the country and gather pecans from trees by the side of the road. Perhaps 1910-1920?

•  That sounds (1+ / 0-)
            Creosote

stunningly delicious. I have both the West Heritage and Russian Orthodox cookbook from Fort Worth. I'll have to 'cheat' and look up a recipe for proportion,

by northsylvania on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 01:31:22 AM PDT

•  I think it has vanilla in it too. (1+ / 0-)
              northsylvania

But the apple-breadcrumb-lemon-almond mix sounds like very old Eastern European cooking to me now.

It was always surprising to see how far that egg dough could stretch!