View Diary: Kolaches (145 comments)

•  My favorite symphony, The Moldau, (2+ / 0-)
    Marko the Werelynx, viral

Is by Smetna. (Cream?)

"For we, the people, understand that our country cannot succeed when a shrinking few do very well and a growing many barely make it." - President Barack Obama, Second Inaugural Address, January 21, 2013.

by surfermom on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 09:58:44 PM PDT

•  Over here, it's called "Vltava" (3+ / 0-)
      northsylvania, surfermom, viral

by Bedřich Smetana. And yes, his name does mean 'cream'. It's one of my favorite pieces of music too. It's part of a larger work called "Ma Vlast" (My Country).

Saving the elusive werelynx though swag.

by Marko the Werelynx on Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 10:55:14 PM PDT

•  It tells the story of the Moldau as it begins (5+ / 0-)

From from one little stream, then two, then three and then they all join to become one surging river. (Pardon me, I'm sure you know this, but I can't help myself.) The goes through a field where there is a hunting party, and then a village where there is a wedding. What else am I leaving out? At the end it flows into the sea. Everytime I hear it, something good happens that day. If is such a beautiful piece of music. It always makes me cry.

by surfermom on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 02:46:55 AM PDT

•  Hmm, (6+ / 0-)

it starts off with those little clarinet springs, then the stream runs through some fields and pastures, then there's the bit where it flows through the woods and we get the hunting horns, then the wedding, and then a night scene filled with dancing water sprites and fairies, then a dramatic bit as the river flows through some rapids between rocky cliffs overlooked by castle ruins, then a slower, grander passage as the river widens out before it flows past the castle Vyšehrad into Prague and the music reaches its peak and then a slow fade as the broad, lazy river flows to where it joins the Elbe (Labe).

Here's a view of Vyšehrad taken from a boat on the Vltava (Moldau):

Saving the elusive werelynx though swag.

by Marko the Werelynx on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:21:19 AM PDT

•  Thank you so much! (1+ / 0-)
            Marko the Werelynx

I didn't know all these details!! Thanks also for the photo!

by surfermom on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 11:04:44 AM PDT

•  I should mention (5+ / 0-)

that the song supposedly ends where the river joins the Elbe but the Moldau, I've been told, is actually the larger of the two rivers where they join so technically Smetana could have written a lot more parts to his symphony. A bit about Dresden, Magdeburg, Hamburg and then sploop! into the North Sea. Both rivers start in the Czech Republic though-- if that matters.

Saving the elusive werelynx though swag.

by Marko the Werelynx on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 03:29:18 AM PDT

•  Thank you again! (1+ / 0-)
            Marko the Werelynx

It has been great to talk to you.

by surfermom on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 11:06:35 AM PDT

•  Been a pleasure, surfermom (0+ / 0-)

I've got an open thread due to be posted to the Street Prophets group in another hour and um, 33 minutes or so.

I've got a few more pics from my week posted there. I'll be around in a few hours (getting to be my bedtime) to mingle in the comments if you'd care to drop by.

Saving the elusive werelynx though swag.

by Marko the Werelynx on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 11:34:23 AM PDT