View Diary: As bomb suspect manhunt continues, police briefing expected (309 comments)

•  The father is half a world away (8+ / 0-)

and probably completely taken by surprise by all this, plus is being besieged by American journalists making phone calls.

Not something that happens to your everyday Russian living in Russia, I'd guess.

It's a pretty stressful situation, so I'm inclined to give the father the benefit of the doubt until events and or evidence arises that suggests I shouldn't.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 09:40:38 AM PDT

•  I don't have that in me. (0+ / 0-)

I want harm to come to no one, but I have to voice my displeasure.  He has his opinions about his sons and I have mine, both about his sons and him.

Ayn is the bane! Take the Antidote To Ayn Rand and call your doctor in the morning: You have health insurance now! @floydbluealdus1

by Floyd Blue on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 09:43:52 AM PDT

•  I can't have an opinion about him. (3+ / 0-)

Because honestly, if you called me and said, "Your kid is responsible for a bombing" my first reaction would absolutely be "No."

I mean stages of grief, folks? I give the man the benefit of the doubt that he honestly cannot believe it. I mean, his friends cannot believe it. I mean, the aunt of one of his good friends was stunned and amazed and nearly in denial.

www.stacysmusings.wordpress.com

by Magenta on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:11:08 AM PDT

•  Well.. (1+ / 0-)
        badscience

his opinions about his sons do have a bit more direct experience woven into them than do yours, which are, of course, heavily mediated by both events and coverage of said events, thus heavily removed.

As for your opinions of him, probably even less informed than your opinions of his sons, given you are going on one sound byte, so all those caveats remain.

Still, you are entitled to opinions and the expression of same, just as we all are.

Like the comment above this one, I'd not feel confident forming an opinion of a person who had been hunted down by news reporters from half way around the world and then interviewed in a language that her own audience and producers can't understand.  Who knows how the question was put to him?

Also, living in Russia as an Ethnic Minority, I don't have too much trouble imagining that CT about government officials and "inside jobs" might be a common default logic for people to fall back into in times of stress.

But even, knowing all of these things about the context, I still wouldn't have enough information to form an opinion about this person.

I could form an opinion about the utterance, however, and most of that is based on the kinds of things I can observe or not and then ask questions about what's missing in the picture.

The two are not the same, I'd submit (opinions about the person versus opinions about the utterance).

by a gilas girl on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:22:37 AM PDT

•  oh geez, all I did was say FUCK YOU to the (0+ / 0-)

guy who spawned this shit, and then defended it in the face of our grief.

by Floyd Blue on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:24:25 AM PDT

•  It's not like I said I want to do him harm. (0+ / 0-)

If I said that, I would certainly have researched him, tried to see things from his viewpoint first, etc etc.

But to form an opinion about him now after what his monsters did to us?  I can do that right now.  Once he opened up his mouth I realized he doesn't deserve my empathy, IMHO.

by Floyd Blue on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:28:04 AM PDT