View Diary: Law enforcement still moving cautiously where they have cornered Boston bombing suspect (443 comments)

•  What’s weird (6+ / 0-)

is that police announced the relaxation of surveillance immediately prior to this discovery.  People were told to return to their homes and resume normal activities, then kablooey.  They found him within about ten blocks of the shootout location.

Did the police use scent dogs?  Seems to me this search was just blind groping.  I don’t fault the police, there must have been some complicating factors.

The best outcome would be to capture this guy alive.  I also hope his family don’t suffer because of what these brothers did.

I'm not sixty-two—I'm fifty-twelve!

by Pragmatus on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:25:16 PM PDT

•  He may have been well hidden and ... (19+ / 0-)

...immediately started moving once the shelter-in-place was lifted.

by Meteor Blades on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:27:57 PM PDT

•  Found because of normal activity (22+ / 0-)

Things are really confused, as early reports from the scene often are, but I think that this is what happened:

Once people went outside, somebody saw blood on the boat and a moved ladder, called the cops, and they used a thermal imaging device to confirm.

•  Pragmatus: couple things gleaned elsewhere (8+ / 0-)

1 ceiling too low for heat-seeking surveillance chopper most of day
      2 neighbor called reporting moved ladder & blood on boat -- possibly after the all-clear allowed said neighbor to leave / look out of house for first time since last night.
      Scent dogs & bomb dogs have been working, IIRC, all day, too.
      Around the sites.

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:31:37 PM PDT

•  Thanks. (2+ / 0-)
        BlackSheep1, rebel ga

I knew I was behind the curve somehow.

I'm not sixty-two—I'm fifty-twelve!

by Pragmatus on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:41:13 PM PDT

•  Also location was 1-1/2 blocks outside perimeter (2+ / 0-)
        rebel ga, BlackSheep1

of the 20 block house by house search - he managed to get just far enough outside the line while they were setting up in the wee hours.

Nobody noticed, because nobody was allowed outside all day.

Once they lifted the lock down and people went outside, that's when the neighbor & the homeowner of the boat called 911.

I'm thinking they wrapped up before dark on purpose, to either draw him out or get more eyes out there, in case he HAD managed to get past the perimeter.  They knew he was on foot, they THOUGHT he might have been wounded, guess they didn't know how badly he might or might not be hit and set up a standard 20 block perimeter around the gun fight area from last night?  If they had expanded it to 22 blocks, they would have found him, if they were searching houses and yards - but PD said they were mostly knocking on doors and questioning people, only searching houses where people had either not been home or weren't sure if crawl spaces were secure and whatnot?

If they hadn't lifted the lockout, he might have died in the boat overnight.

I'm glad they got him alive.  No martyr for the cause, whatever it is / was.

"Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential." - Barack Obama

by Ricochet67 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 06:10:40 PM PDT

•  A homeowner found blood (4+ / 0-)

On a covered boat in his back yard, alerted the police. They checked, determined it was the real deal.

If you listened to the slow, methodical, careful process they used to divide up the neighborhood and sweep quadrant by quadrant, you'd know it was anything but "groping."

•  My question is (0+ / 0-)

why the homeowner saw the blood but the police didn't.

Also, if there was enough blood on the tarp to notice, this guy must have left a trail of it from the crime scene.  A bloodhound would have been most useful in following this.

I'm not sixty-two—I'm fifty-twelve!

by Pragmatus on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 06:10:24 PM PDT

•  Because it wasn't there during the sweep (0+ / 0-)

The police divided the area in to sections, then did methodical sweeps. During the sweep of that section, the ladder and blood were not there. Since they knew the prior state of the location, the difference in state made it obvious that there was something in need of checking. That's when they brought in the IR detector and bomb-sniffing dogs.

Dogs were used throughout the investigation - sometimes finding, but losing trails, sometimes not. Dogs can only do so much , before they get "stale," and there are only so many trained dogs out there. There had been many locations throughout the night and during the day where open doors were discovered, and all of them were checked as they were found.

It seems pretty obvious the kid was moving around, essentially playing high-stakes hide and seek, largely in the dark (and heavy fog early this AM), during weather conditions when heat detecting copters couldn't work.

It's easy to sit in judgment.

•  Who's sitting in judgment? (0+ / 0-)

You're willfully missing a very simple point.

If the kid was bleeding enough to leave noticeable smears on the boat or the tarp covering it, and to have been "covered in blood" according to the boat owner who raised the tarp and saw him, then he had been bleeding from the moment of the gun battle which killed his brother, and would have left a distinct trail of blood from there to the place where he was found.

If I were the police commissioner in Boston, that would be the first issue I would bring up with my captains, because it presents some very disturbing possibilities.

What seems possible is that there were so many police swarming the area from different jurisdictions that they themselves muddled the trail and left it unreadable.  I'll bet most of the police who were in the "locked down" area ended up with blood on their shoes.

There's nothing to judge at this point, there are only questions to ask.

I'm not sixty-two—I'm fifty-twelve!

by Pragmatus on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 10:45:37 PM PDT