View Diary: Law enforcement still moving cautiously where they have cornered Boston bombing suspect (443 comments)

•  How exciting! (1+ / 0-)
    Ken Bank

Won't it be great when we live-blog the water boarding?

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:47:22 PM PDT

•  dick comment (14+ / 0-)

start to finish

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:48:15 PM PDT

•  I don't know. Justice in America is not really (2+ / 0-)
        sfbob, Kentucky DeanDemocrat

based on justice.  But I get your reaction. Personally, I feel terrible that this is an impressionable kid, who got led astray. Nonetheless, he killed and maimed people and that requires consequences.
        Sad all around.

No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up.--Lily Tomlin

by Desert Rose on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:54:13 PM PDT

•  Justice is a fantasy. (2+ / 0-)
          DSPS owl, Desert Rose

There cannot be satisfaction for the victims; anyone who will take any solace or find any closure in hearing whatever "explanation" this young man might try to provide for behavior that is beyond inexplicable is grasping at existential straws, however successfully; the dead are dead, the maimed are maimed, and there will be holy hell to pay as the retributive angels of our nature sweep down to have their day, and the paranoids use this as an excuse to further degrade our civilization, edging us away from the last best hope, and towards something rather more in the mold of Somalia.

I can deal, existentially and psychologically, with the fact of, the horror of, the kind of random evil these brothers levied upon some of my fellow humans. I cannot deal with the lurking horror within all too many of those fellows -- the horror that, in its comfort and its fear, meekly enables the Dick Cheneys of the world to visit upon humanity horror and death and suffering on a scale far, far beyond anything these two men could ever have managed. People scream for justice and retribution, while the crimes of Rumsfeld and Poindexter and Abrams go unpunished, even unrecognized.

I cannot bear it.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 08:36:19 PM PDT

•  sigh. just noticed a grammatical error in (0+ / 0-)

my paragraph -- i should not have said "those fellows", as if i mean the same people to whom I had just referred, who had lost bits of the physical, and probably emotional, selves in the explosions this week. I just meant some of my fellow humans.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 09:02:47 PM PDT

•  You think so, do ya? (0+ / 0-)

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 08:27:16 PM PDT

•  that's a pretty vile thing to say n/t (3+ / 0-)

Thanks to the internet, bullshit now travels at the speed of light.

by nota bene on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 05:51:30 PM PDT

•  the vast bulk of words i've seen written on (0+ / 0-)

dkos with respect to this "manhunt" have made me want to throw up.

humanity really is at its ugliest when provoked by violence.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 08:26:24 PM PDT