View Diary: Things I don't understand (103 comments)

•  WTF? I said it brought me down. But I was saying (2+ / 0-)

it in support of what I thought your point was, that the OP was muddled or in error when he said no one had anything bad to say about the brothers. The uncle clearly had something bad to say about the brothers.

•  Yes, I was saying that the diarist was in error (1+ / 0-)
      WakeUpNeo

because the uncle had in fact said something bad about his nephew.

But you imply that he didn't really mean it when you say he "threw them under the bus" because he felt he had to.

Why not take him at his word, when he says that he thinks they were "losers"?

Proud to be a Truth Vigilante

by Calvino Partigiani on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 06:29:53 PM PDT

•  Ah, I got you. I'm perfectly OK with the (1+ / 0-)
        Calvino Partigiani

possibility that the Uncle actually thinks his two nephews "Losers." But it just depressed the hell out of me to hear him saying it on TV. If you can't even depend on your own family to have your back, then what do you really have left?

But I totally get your point now.

•  People who commit terrorist acts (1+ / 0-)
          Neuroptimalian

don't deserve to have anyone, even their relatives, "get their backs." They give that up when they decide to kill innocent victims.

•  Call me a stickler for the quaint and obsolete, (2+ / 0-)
            Leslie Salzillo, Havoth

but at this point all we're talking about in the eyes of the law is an 'alleged terrorist.' Do 'alleged teerrorists' get to have have their families 'have their backs'?

•  With all respect, you seem to have (3+ / 0-)
              WakeUpNeo, Nova Land, Ahianne

Naive views about what all family should do: what members can reasonably expect out of their family.

People "get from" their families what their family members want to give.

Family is complicated.

Remember, most women and children in America are killed by people they consider family. Family is not always the nice picture we like to think it would be.

© grover

by grover on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 09:31:24 PM PDT

•  Fair enough, I suppose, but I think seeing the (0+ / 0-)

Uncle openly condemn his brother and nephews was a sad coda to a sad symphony.

OT somewhat, but the person I was responding to was 'Elmo' and you are 'Grover'. Any connection between the two of you, other than my Sesame Street obsession?

•  Connection? What makes you think we are (3+ / 0-)
                  DeadHead, elmo, Calvino Partigiani

anything other than brightly colored,  fuzzy, friendly monsters who happened to meet on the same political blog?

;)

© grover

by grover on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 10:17:46 PM PDT

•  They bragged about it (0+ / 0-)

to their car jacking victim. They bragged about killing an innocent 8 year old child and two women, and maiming dozens of innocent bystanders.

Allegedly.

Does that make you feel better?

•  I really feel sorry for any of your family members (1+ / 0-)
                Havoth

unfortunate enough to find themselves accused and on trial in the court of public opinion.

•  Respectfully, Elmo, is that news hearsay, or (2+ / 0-)
                hdbooth, Havoth

did you see the car jacking victim actually make that statement live on tv? Why would the suspects be bragging about killing the child, when there was a massive manhunt going on and they were running for their lives? I've haven't been watching a lot of mainstream news. Did I miss this?

Even so, I have to support the diarist. There are way too many questions that have been left open. And way too many people are buying into media hype. Mainstream media will try to drag this out and suck it dry.

I questioned the FBI holding a national press conference with fuzzy images (which they were the time) then asking the public to help find them. It worried me. I was worried about how hate groups would use that permission.  I wrote a diary Friday morning about it, and I got hammered here. It felt like post 911 where you didn't dare question authority. As Daily Kos members, aren't we the ones who question and challenge, rather than buy into what we hear (and sometimes think we see) on mainstream media -- or on social media for matter. Something is very off. We may never get the answers, but it's up to ask.

In the face of darkness - be the light.

by Leslie Salzillo on Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 08:46:27 AM PDT

•  I don't think that's a given fact. yet. (0+ / 0-)

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-Mark Twain

by Havoth on Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 11:44:39 AM PDT

•  We don't have 'families' to liberals nowadays, (0+ / 0-)

doncha know? We have 'villages' and your children, or nephews, or whatever aren't 'yours' anyway...they belong to the village and majority opnion says whether they are guilty or not. Get it right. (families? Now that IS quaint!)

•  Well, the uncle hadn't seen the boys since 2005. (2+ / 0-)
        DeadHead, Calvino Partigiani

That means the younger brother was 11 years old. I wonder about an uncle who dismisses his nephew at that age as a loser.

I'm guessing this has more to do with bad blood between the uncle and his own brother, which is fine. They're hardly the first American family to be dysfunctional.

So, I really don't know that I give that a lot of credibility either way.

© grover

by grover on Sat Apr 20, 2013 at 08:53:57 PM PDT

•  I only heard the uncle call the older brother (1+ / 0-)
          melo

a loser. I didn't see him throw the younger one under the same bus. But he was interviewed under a tremendous amount of pressure. And I felt like he was feeling defensive/afraid, because some people have a reputation for committing violence against unconnected Muslims in general for every bombing threat since 2001. If I were him, I would be hard-pressed not to fall on my knees singing 'God Bless America' and asking to be baptized as a Christian right there on camera, just so bigoted violent idiots don't target my wife in the grocery store for something I had not done.

by Havoth on Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 11:50:15 AM PDT

• Hillary Clinton (22)
  • Texas (21)
  • Racism (20)
  • Media (20)
  • Environment (20)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site