View Diary: Wall Street Journal columnist goes after Gabby Giffords, because that's what they do (133 comments)

•  Jeebus. (10+ / 0-)

Way to overreact. Those who are working closely with her--her husband, assistants--most certainly understand her QUITE clearly, even when her speech falters. I think the much bigger problem with typing would probably be the limited mobility in one arm/hand. Until recently, I have often seen her wearing a cast, sling or brace on one side--I think her movements were greatly affected on the side controlled by the part of the brain where the bullet went through.

There's no 'conspiracy' to be found here. Gabby's mind, heart and sense of mission are clear and powerful.

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 12:25:48 AM PDT

•  I'm actually quite familiar with aphasia (1+ / 0-)
      cv lurking gf

My mom has it after a stroke last year.

Aphasia is not a speech impediment that prevents you from saying your thoughts.  It's a mental inability to put a thought into words.  There are no words there for anyone to understand because the sufferer is literally unable to formulate ideas in words.

So actually, yes, however powerful Giffords' mind, heart, and sense of mission are, her ability to verbally express them in speech or writing is apparently pretty minimal.

(And by the way, don't you think it is disrespectful and infantilizing to call her by her first name?  Would you have done so before her injury?)

•  So, you have credentials to be able to (15+ / 0-)

diagnose her exact disability, by video?  I've worked (RN '77) extensively with aphasic, brain injured, encephalophic, Alzheimer's and other dementia patients, in addition to Speech Therapists. I've had a lot of patients who use electronic talking boards very well. One had a great sense of humor that was quite well expressed. Was your mom trained to sing? Is she left handed?

The ability to dictate concepts for others to type or write, as Hunter suggested, is not at all unusual in mixed and partial diagnoses - which a gunshot injury can easily cause. Her verbal expression appears to have a motor component, also not surprising from a gunshot.

You apparently missed a comment by Kelly about his wife's name. Basically that if she hadn't been named Gabrielle, she would have ended up with the nickname because it describes her so perfectly.

Reminds me of people who fussed about referring to Hillary by her first name during the '08 campaign, despite that being her campaign logo, all over signs and buttons.

by Ginny in CO on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 05:12:45 AM PDT

•  Read up about Giffords (0+ / 0-)
          So, you have credentials to be able to diagnose her exact disability, by video?
          Suggest you do a Google search for  "Giffords aphasia".    Her diagnosis of aphasia is quite public - they have released it.  I am not making my own diagnosis and I don't think you are qualified to do so either.
          Is this diagnosis by video?
          So, you have credentials to be able to diagnose her exact disability, by video?
          So, you have the credentials to be able to diagnose her exact disability, by video?

I haven't seen any articles describing such a motor component.

And this gives you the right to call her by her first name?
      •  One of my (1+ / 0-)
        PSzymeczek

patients is a stroke victim (I am also, actually) and she struggles mightily with spoke word, but easily understands written speech.

•  might be more dysarthria than (3+ / 0-)

aphasia. We know she had some aphasia too but she has recovered a lot. Dysarthria is more about the ability to form words.

•  Aphasia is NOT a 'mental inability.' (3+ / 0-)

I suffered from aphasia as part of a serious illness, so I know EXACTLY what the experience is. You are so clearly trolling here that it is not worth explaining it to you. And as others have already pointed out, we don't know that Gabby has aphasia. In fact, the physical damage to her brain from the bullet wound could well mean her speech issues are something else entirely.

The only infantilizing here is coming from you. Gabby remains a powerful political and moral force in this country, and you are trying to diminish that by claiming her brain is mush.

As Bob Johnson said, welcome! We expect your stay to be an, umm, interesting one.

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 08:20:29 AM PDT

•  First off, congratulations on your apparent (0+ / 0-)

recovery.  Aphasia is a horrible and frustrating disability.

Aphasia is NOT a 'mental inability.'
          Aphasia (pron.: əˈfeɪʒə or əˈfeɪziə or eɪˈfeɪziə, originated from an ancient Greek word 'aphatos' meaning[1] ἀφασία (ἄφατος, ἀ- + φημί), "speechlessness"[2])is a disturbance of the comprehension and formulation of language caused by dysfunction in specific brain regions.[3] -- http://en.wikipedia.org/...
          Why are you objecting to my description?  I think it's quite accurate.
          And as others have already pointed out, we don't know that Gabby has aphasia.
          Actually, it is quite well documented (and I thought well known by everyone interested in her and her recovery) that she has aphasia.  For example:
          Giffords is experiencing aphasia, a disorder associated with brain injury that impairs her ability to process language, - http://abcnews.go.com/...
          Really?  Do you normally call grown professionals by their nicknames?  Is Barack Obama "Barack"? Is Nancy Pelosi "Nancy"?  Is Harry Reid "Harry"?  So why is Gabby Giffords "Gabby"?

Giffords' brain is pretty clearly not "mush" but are you seriously claiming that she has retained all of her former language capabilities?

•  Actually... (2+ / 0-)
            PSzymeczek, stormicats

I went to school with the President back in Honolulu, back when he was known as Barry. He chooses to go by 'Barack' now, though, so I would respect his wishes. And obviously wait for him to invite me to use his first name. As I'm sure he would.

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 09:49:56 AM PDT

•  Perhaps, but since I did not go to school with (0+ / 0-)

him I will refer to him as Obama until I get to know him personally.

•  You should refer to him as *President* Obama, (0+ / 0-)

since you will never get to know him personally.

And I'll thank you for not lecturing me on etiquette or the conventions of how we write on this blog until you have been a respected member of the community for 5+ years, engaged in productive online and real world progressive dialogue & action here, and have penned 25,000+ comments or a few hundred diaries. Then, let the lectures commence!

Ho'oponopono. To make things right; restore harmony; heal.

by earicicle on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 11:45:52 PM PDT

•  Sorry, but rudeness is rudeness no matter (0+ / 0-)

how long you have been here.

This idea that you get to refer to a female politician by her first name is really no different that the old Southern practice of referring to all blacks by their first names or just "boy".

Giffords has earned respect and you should give it to her.

•  Representative Giffords (2+ / 0-)
            stormicats, nanorich

is well-known by the constituency throughout her former district, where I lived for over 30 years, as Gabby.

You can't keep a mighty tree alive (much less expect it to thrive) by only spritzing the fine leaves at its tippy-top. The fate of the whole tree depends on nurturing the grassroots. - Jim Hightower

by PSzymeczek on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 01:26:54 PM PDT