View Diary: Ingraham Says it's Time to End Muslim Immigration (57 comments)

•  A radical islamist is anyone who (5+ / 0-)

wants to compel the host country's muslims to follow sharia law or who supports violent jihad as a way to settle international disputes.  There is no reason to bring into the US people who hate us and our way of life.

•  word. (0+ / 0-)

I'm afraid that my signature won't match the mood of my comment.

by heybuddy on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 05:32:42 PM PDT

•  How do you propose to identify them? n/t (4+ / 0-)
      PJEvans, mookins, JDsg, Mathazar

Thank you, Richard Myers. We'll finish it for you. http://stoprush.net

by ProgLegs on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 05:34:11 PM PDT

•  The fact that the older brother was linking to (3+ / 0-)
        sandbox, Be Skeptical, Neuroptimalian

hard-core jihadist sites could've been a sign of something. Maybe there are things like that in people's backgrounds that could be used. In any case, I disagree that only crimes should disqualify people from immigrating to the US. We have no obligation to allow everyone who wants to live here, to live here. There should be some reasonable standards, like actually respecting and wanting to be part of the American way of life.

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 05:42:06 PM PDT

•  What is the "American way of life"? (4+ / 0-)
          PJEvans, JDsg, Mathazar, FG

The strength of this country is in its diversity and in the way it has traditionally held its arms open to people in search of a better life.

I'm not arguing that we should have no immigration standards at all, but it definitely concerns me when I hear the "those people" tone creeping into even liberal debate on this topic.

Does Westboro Baptist Church represent Christians in the United States?  Clearly not.

The bottom line is that 99.9% of all Muslims are decent, peace-loving people.  We should not allow the insane actions of a few to make us start profiling.

We're in just as much danger from crazy right wing militia types and religious wackos as we are from Muslims.

Thank you, Richard Myers. We'll finish it for you. http://stoprush.net

by ProgLegs on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 05:52:29 PM PDT

•  after he (1+ / 0-)
          lazybum

got a green card. Not before he came, as far as anyone can tell. (Remember, they've been here ten years.)

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 05:53:05 PM PDT

•  The real threats will act All-American and (1+ / 0-)
          FG

I'd bet my last dollar the websites are already tracked.

•  Do we currently have a policy or procedure (1+ / 0-)
      Be Skeptical

to screen out radical Muslims from entering the US? I honestly don't know. In all this time, I wasn't paying attention. I assumed that most Muslims were OK and that there were just a few bad apples, and I was more worried about whether our own homegrown wackadoodle Christian fanatics were going to take over our government. But lately, it has seemed to me that the pattern is getting pretty stark -- there seem to be quite a few "bad apples." So I believe that we still want to let in the Muslims who actually do want to be part of our way of life, but how are we doing on screening out those who don't? I have no clue what the answer to that is.

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 05:35:50 PM PDT

•  I would expect (4+ / 0-)
      ProgLegs, JDsg, Mathazar, lazybum

that there are very few radical Muslims who want to come to the US. And even fewer 'radical Islamists'.

How do you propose to identify them when they apply for a visa?
      Are you also willing to ban radical Christians? How about super-orthodox Jews, who aren't very tolerant of anyone else?

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 05:52:14 PM PDT

•  I don't doubt it, at this point (2+ / 0-)
        sandbox, Be Skeptical

I think there's enough evidence of sleeper cells and radical recruitment on American soil that we need to take it seriously.

If any radical Christians or super-Orthodox Jews are calling for murder of Americans, I say keep them out.

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 06:11:43 PM PDT

•  I don't think (3+ / 0-)
          Mathazar, ProgLegs, lazybum

the the problem is anywhere near as big and pervasive as you do. Your thoughts sound heavily influenced by the right-wing Islamophobes, and they certainly have an agenda that needs to be watched carefully. (Once upon a time, not all that long ago, it was German bomb-throwing anarchists. More recently it's been Asian invaders.)

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 06:55:06 PM PDT

•  Just because we can read a newspaper (1+ / 0-)
            Noisy Democrat

and draw our own conclusions based on what we've see happening in the world over the past 15 years doesn't equate with being "right-wing Islamophobes".  Just because some fuckwad RWs demonize Muslims as a tool for advancing their own neocon agendas doesn't mean we don't have a problem with Islamic terrorism, for crissakes.  Try to clear your mind of the railroads your brain is running on.

•  Here's an interesting article (0+ / 0-)

I went looking for facts and figures. Here's an article that argues from FBI data that Muslims are not the originators of the majority of domestic terrorist plots. http://thinkprogress.org/...  In a nutshell, it shows 45 plots in 2011 by domestic Muslim terrorists, 36 plots by anti-tax extremists (that was the 2nd-largest number), and a total of 80 plots by non-Muslim terrorists (including the 36 by the anti-tax extremists, plus things like abortion-clinic bombers, white supremacist groups, black supremacist groups, etc.). The author concludes that since all other sources combined accounted for 80 plots, and Muslim terrorists accounted for only 45 -- the single largest source -- that proves that domestic Muslim terrorism isn't our biggest problem. I read those numbers very differently. But I made a good-faith effort to find some actual evidence, and this is what I found. Maybe later I'll have time to look for more.

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 08:51:42 AM PDT

•  Please. (3+ / 0-)
            Be Skeptical, sandbox, gramofsam1

You remember back when non-Muslim women wore hijab on Fridays to show solidarity with Muslim women who were being persecuted after 9/11? I was one of those women. I've responded to some terrorist incidents by e-mailing a randomly chosen mosque to assure them, "We know this wasn't about Islam, and I hope no one is harassing you." If Muslim women are getting harassed again, I'll put on the hijab on Fridays again. But none of this means I can't see a pattern that's right in front of our faces. I think my thoughts are influenced not by right-wing propaganda but by a demonstrated pattern of terrorist attacks, including the most recent one in my city.  There is a serious problem with the radical jihadists. Chanting "Islamophobia!" isn't going to make it go away.

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org