View Diary: Ingraham Says it's Time to End Muslim Immigration (57 comments)

•  "Muslim" is the proper spelling... (0+ / 0-)

...just as "Qur'an" is the proper spelling.

Muslims and tigers and bears, oh my!

by JDsg on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 07:11:45 PM PDT

•  Okey-dokey (1+ / 0-)
      Be Skeptical

So if I write "Koran" is that some kind of insult?

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 08:13:22 PM PDT

•  When in doubt, throw in a few ' s (0+ / 0-)

it'll make you look devout

•  No, it's not an insult... (0+ / 0-)

...but Qur'an is the correct transliteration of the Arabic, as is Muslim.

Muslims and tigers and bears, oh my!

by JDsg on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 07:11:14 AM PDT

•  Sorry to be pedantic (0+ / 0-)

but "correct transliteration" doesn't always mean "correct English." The correct transliteration of the name of the Russian capital is Moskva. In English, the city is called Moscow. I have no interest in arguing with anyone here about vowels, so I'll write Muslim. I don't think I'm going to start spelling Koran any differently, though, because I'm writing in English, not attempting to transliterate Arabic.

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org

by Noisy Democrat on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 07:58:34 AM PDT

•  In this case, the correct transliteration... (0+ / 0-)

... is the correct English.  Yes, I am familiar with Moskva, Roma, etc., and I actually think those city names should be written in English that way (similar to how "Bombay" is now, correctly, Mumbai).  "Koran" is an anachronistic spelling of the word that will cause you to be looked at askance by those who know better.  It would be as if you insisted on calling Beijing "Peiping."

Muslims and tigers and bears, oh my!

by JDsg on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 08:48:55 AM PDT

•  I'll follow AP style guidelines (0+ / 0-)

or the OED, once I ascertain what their position is. I don't actually believe that speakers of one language have any right to demand that speakers of a completely different language change their pronunciation to suit them. In French, London is called "Londres." In Spanish, New York is "Nueva York." In Russian, Boston is "Bah-STON," with the second syllable pronounced like "stone." No cause for offense in any of this so far as I can see. But if respected English usage authorities have declared that in English, the correct spelling is Quran or Qur'an, I'll go along with that.

Please visit: http://www.jkmediasource.org