View Diary: Game of Thrones: And Now His Watch Is Ended (96 comments)

•  My daughter tells me this (1+ / 0-)
    No Exit

Because I was turned off by the first couple episodes, too. I think I'd rather read the books if I'm going to get into it at all.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 07:41:45 PM PDT

•  Read the books (10+ / 0-)

But one caveat: if you think the shows are gory, you may not appreciate the books sometimes. GRRM doesn't write them watered down.

That said, I read all the books that are out and have re-read them, though not since the shows started, and then I got Charles to read them all, too, between season one and season two. I had a hell of a hard time not saying anything except "never trust a Lannister" until after he'd read them himself.

Organ donors save lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate.

Why are war casualty counts "American troops" and "others" but never "human beings"?

by Kitsap River on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 07:57:41 PM PDT

•  I'm really not afraid of gore (1+ / 0-)
        tommymet

written or on film, in fact I'm an action movie junky. I think I will read them. Elebenty billion people can't be all wrong :)

by high uintas on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 08:16:22 PM PDT

•  It's not the gore so much as the damage (4+ / 0-)

There are scenes in the books - and readers, you know one of them I'm thinking of - where I could barely stand to read - if there were a way to read while hiding my eyes, as I  would do in a scary movie, I would have done it.  George is not kind to his characters - and the damage is very disturbing to contemplate.  Which I guess means pretty good writing.

•  I was hooked on them (0+ / 0-)

long ago, when he actually started the series...:)  I reread them each time a new one came out--and then I stopped because I swear, I've read that one scene as many times as I can bear in one lifetime.  If he ever finishes, maybe I'll read them one last time--but I don't know if I'm strong enough.

I think "if there were a way to read while hiding my eyes" describes that scene perfectly.

"Teachers are the enemies of ignorance. If the teachers win, Rush and his allies lose." Stolen from Sidnora, 12/15/12 with thanks!

by kmoore61 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 07:37:51 AM PDT

•  Are you referring to the wedding? (0+ / 0-)

I don't get mad. I get stabby!" - Fat Tony D'Amico

by sizzzzlerz on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 10:11:03 AM PDT

•  Ha! "Never Trust A Lannister" (4+ / 0-)

Has become a well used phrase around our house.

If I had my way, I would repeal the 2nd Amendment. Since I can't have my way, I support a ban on all assault weapons. Now!

by Tchrldy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 03:45:31 AM PDT

•  I second "just read'em" (1+ / 0-)
      high uintas

Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. - Gandalf the Grey

by No Exit on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 08:00:32 PM PDT