View Diary: Serophobia, or, Giving in to "Temptation" (166 comments)

•  Same folks who oppose HPV vaccination. (7+ / 0-)

What a coincidence.

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 01:19:00 PM PDT

•  I didn't link to it in the diary . . . (6+ / 0-)

but Amanda Marcotte over at RHRealityCheck has a post about the movie in which she makes the point about opposition to HPV vaccination.  Apparently, about 40% of parents refuse to have their daughters vaccinated, because they think only "dirty girls" will get HPV.

Sigh.

by FogCityJohn on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 01:22:17 PM PDT

•  Yeah, that's a weird sort of parental denial. (6+ / 0-)

If you don't acknowledge that your children are sexual creatures, then they won't have sex. (Same argument is used against sex-ed).

The HPV vaccine wasn't available until after my kids were grown, but had it been my kids would definately have gotten it. (Note that it is suggested for boys as well as girls because a.) they can be carriers and b.) HPV appears to be associated with some other nasty cancers.)

•  That's incredibly sad (4+ / 0-)

The way I remember it, there wasn't 40% of girls in high school staying abstinent until college, let alone marriage. Has nothing to do with "good girls" or "bad girls". All that stuff is bullshit.

I think this is all reflective of the pregnancy and STDs as punishment mentality this diary highlights, which seems pretty fucking evil to me. Out of some type of psychological crutch you use to validate your beliefs and parenting skills, you are potentially allowing your girl to develop cervical cancer and die before middle age. Evil and gross.

•  It's a little more serious than that. (2+ / 0-)
      FogCityJohn, commonmass

And maybe I shouldn't have started with a giggle. But it happens regularly, to me at least, that neg guys want to fuck me raw, and when I ask why, some weird thrill of danger thing plays a role.

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 01:29:51 PM PDT

•  We're obviously referring to (2+ / 0-)
        FogCityJohn, commonmass

different demographics.   In my case, (usually) Christian fundamentalists.  Pretty serious folks and issues.

Not that they don't necessarily overlap a little with the cases you cite.

Anyway, while not denying the truth of your experiences, I've heard of precisely the opposite: "If he's undetectable, then he's safer than someone who may be either lying about being negative or unaware of being positive."

by corvo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 01:36:54 PM PDT

•  No, that's actually true. (2+ / 0-)
          FogCityJohn, commonmass

I couldn't infect someone if I tried.

But this is New York City, home to every sexual interest nobody in their right mind would even consider remotely possible :-)

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 01:54:59 PM PDT

•  I'm not willing to go quite this far: (4+ / 0-)
            commonmass, corvo, Cassandra Waites, MBNYC
            I couldn't infect someone if I tried.
            I know being on meds and having an undetectable VL makes transmission far less likely, but I'm not confident enough to say it's impossible.  I understand that certain Swiss researchers may agree with you, but I'm unwilling to risk it until I see more research into this issue, particularly research conducted among gay men.

by FogCityJohn on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 02:03:59 PM PDT

•  It might also still depend somewhat on (2+ / 0-)
              FogCityJohn, commonmass

who with which status is performing exactly which sex act upon whom with which status.

Note how carefully I'm avoiding using the words "top" and "bottom."

by corvo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 02:28:03 PM PDT

•  Oh, absolutely. (2+ / 0-)
              FogCityJohn, commonmass

I'm not testing the theory by any means. The ethical and legal ramifications aren't worth it.

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 02:45:32 PM PDT

•  You got that right. (4+ / 0-)
                corvo, Cassandra Waites, MBNYC, commonmass

In almost all the states that have criminalized HIV non-disclosure, actual transmission is unnecessary for criminal liability.  Just unknowingly having sex with a poz person is injury enough.

Talk about sending fucked up messages.

by FogCityJohn on Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 02:50:38 PM PDT