View Diary: If you think Boston is a reason to abandon gun safety laws, you're a special kind of moron (118 comments)

•  You know, I can't even begin to imagine how it (7+ / 0-)

must feel to be one of the family members of the 4000 people killed by guns since December, nor the family of the Boston Marathon bombings, to have your very real and painful experiences treated with all the sensitivity of a cat toy at an animal shelter.

How patronizing these gun-protectors are!

Metaphors be with you.

by koosah on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 10:43:54 AM PDT

•  Although this seems extreme--I wonder if a (2+ / 0-)
      Fixed Point Theorem, kyril

picture of someone shot many times by one of these assault rifles would go a long way to show people what we're all talking about.  Our ridiculous main stream media doesn't want to disturb us with graphic images, but a photo of a person shot 11 times at point blank range might wake some of these idiots up.

If the plutocrats begin the program, we will end it. -- Eugene Debs.

by livjack on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 11:12:14 AM PDT

•  I've been there (2+ / 0-)
      kyril, FrankRose

A good friend of mine was shot as a teen.  He was paralyzed for a few years, and gradually regained the ability to walk.    It was very traumatic for the entire family, and changed all their lives.

The boy who shot my friend was another teen.

In another situation, a family member tried to shoot another family member with a simply pistol.

Gun registration checks would not have prevented these tragedies.   It wasn't an assault rifle, and no large clips were involved.

The bigger question that I care about is...

WHY are we not responding effectively, when we are WARNED?

Russia warned the U.S. about Tamerlin.   It should be a pretty big deal when another country is warning the United States about one specific individual.   Why was he just walking around building bombs?

We don't have to have the authority to invade the privacy of every American, to ask why we can't have a closer look at someone, after another country warns us that he may be dangerous.

•  so it didn't effect you (2+ / 0-)
        Fixed Point Theorem, kyril

"The proposals that I have heard about thus far would not have any effect on situations that I've experienced."

Oh, so if it wouldn't have had an effect on your personal situations, we shouldn't bother?  Tell that to the thousands of victims who would in fact have been helped by the new proposals.
        "Sorry kid, it wouldn't help DFWmom, so you're outta luck"

"Why was he just walking around building bombs?"

I think someone else already noted that law enforcement can't track gun powder purchases.  They were warned about the older brother in 2011 and investigated and didn't find anything that would cause them to go any further.  Aside from placing him under 24/7surveillance in perpetuity, what were they supposed to do?

•  I would say (3+ / 0-)
        JerryNA, kyril, 88kathy
        You haven't been paying attention.

Among the more popular ideas have been keeping your guns locked away when not being used.  Keeping the guns in a safe and/or with trigger locks generally keep teens from being able to use them.

Requiring proper training before getting access to guns is likewise popular.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 12:53:10 PM PDT

•  Part of the problem is the political and (4+ / 0-)
        JerryNA, kyril, 88kathy, FrankRose

media focus is on regulation reform, which is only one aspect of a more comprehensive overall plan. Increased mental health care would especially address suicides and murder suicides. Increased safety education on storing guns, handling, etc. has been covered mostly regarding physicians being allowed to talk to patients and parents. That addresses accidental deaths and guns getting into the hands of people not authorized to use them.

The removal of constrictions on CDC to collect data and analyze it is really key and got relatively little attention. It covers all forms of gun violence.

That any of one these is not going to solve every aspect of the problem ignores the complexity and that the various pieces can be significantly reduced using different and/or multiple approaches.

by Ginny in CO on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 01:00:49 PM PDT

•  I agree (2+ / 0-)
          kyril, FrankRose

All of those proposals that you list are more relevant to issues that I've experienced in my life.

•  In England the method of choice for suicide (0+ / 0-)

was a gas oven. When that was no longer an option, the suicide rate went down 30% and stayed there. Convenience counts with suicide.

Now as far as actually keeping a gun. RkBAers have many many excuses for not doing that. They love the oopsie method of gun safety we currently use.

1. Oopsie, someone took my gun, better watch out it's a dandy, I'm going to the store and get another. It's not my fault.

2. Oopsie, my gun went off, haw haw haw, I'm going to the store and get more ammo.

3. Oopsie I made a viral youtube threatening to kill everyone. Please give my gun school and arsenal back. OK

guns are fun v. hey buddy, watch what you are doing -- which side are you on?

by 88kathy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 06:55:55 PM PDT

•  Same thing has been shown with (0+ / 0-)

guns and suicide. The rate does decrease very significantly, most won't go to the rope, knife, tailpipe or drugs.

by Ginny in CO on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 09:24:54 PM PDT