View Diary: Oops. Lax gunpowder regulation traces back to you-know-who (85 comments)

•  If no one listens... (2+ / 0-)
    Crookshanks, FrankRose

...then why do you take the time to attribute statements to others that they do not actually make...?

I mean, surely it isn't because you simply can't respond to the actual arguments made and therefore feel it necessary to make up statements to respond to.

I'm sure the personal insults do something for you, as well, as childish as they are, or, again, you wouldn't take the effort to make them.

Really, you should try responding to the actual arguments people make sometime -- you might learn something from them.  Or, if you prefer, you can continue to respond to things not said.  It's intellectually dishonest, of course, but it require much less mental effort on your part.

Whatever works for you, really.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 03:58:26 AM PDT

•  you libertarians seem to have trouble with the (0+ / 0-)

concept of "satire".

Perhaps that's because you are all humor-challenged tight-asses who take themselves wayyy too seriously and think everyone else should take you seriously too.

•  Nah, the problem is... (1+ / 0-)
        FrankRose

...that there are so many folks out there, like Rush Limbaugh, who simply lie and, when caught out on it, then try to claim it is "satire" or "humor," and try to blame their own poor behavior on others by claiming that they "have no sense of humor."

So, if you don't want to be called out for that sort of thing, maybe you shouldn't do it.  Really, try engaging in an honest, adult discussion sometime.  You might like it.

Pretty simple stuff, really.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 10:22:00 AM PDT

•  Pot, meet kettle (1+ / 0-)
          tytalus
          All you do is scold, scold, scold.  This comment is a perfect example.

You almost never engage in discussion.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 10:45:53 AM PDT

•  What else can they do (1+ / 0-)
            coquiero

whilst dead-threading?

If we cannot make our communities safer with the Congress we have now, we will use every means available to make sure we have a different Congress. – Gabrielle Giffords

by tytalus on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 11:32:46 AM PDT

•  You consider this dead-threading? (0+ / 0-)

If so, then I offer my sincere apologies.  When I entered into the discussion, it appeared as though there were still ongoing conversations taking place.

My comments got responded to, and so on -- so I responded to those, etc.

Now, I ask this in all seriousness -- how long after you post a diary do you want comments to carry on?  I've been engaged in diaries in which the discussion goes on for several days.

I understand that some people don't want to worry about a discussion in their diaries after they can't be around to engage in it, so I'll do my best to abide by your wishes in this regard.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 01:10:17 PM PDT

•  I'm waiting... (1+ / 0-)
            FrankRose

...for an actual discussion to take part in.

Instead, all I've been seeing lately are outright falsehoods and childish personal attacks (ludicrously defended with the term "satire").

When that's all people can bring to the discussion, they deserve to be scolded.  You could try to get those on your side of this debate to act in a more adult manner, rather than trying to dodge behind scolding me for calling out their juvenile behavior as what it is.

Failing that, people might start to think that your side can't support their arguments without resorting to such tactics.  It really reflects as poorly on those of you defending the tactics as it does those who use them.

Something to consider, if you want to make your discussions meaningful.  If all you want to do is create strawmen to knock down, well, you're doing a fine job of that so far.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 12:25:52 PM PDT

•  SNORE (1+ / 0-)
              tytalus

My god, please develop new material!

How can anyone engage in debate with someone who never debates anything?

You recite tired scolds again and again, and when you're called on it all you can say is that they deserve it.

You just get more comical by the minute.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 12:32:29 PM PDT

•  Well, we've moved a little further now. (1+ / 0-)
                FrankRose

Rather than just defending childish taunts, you are now engaging in them yourself.

And you seem to feel comfortable declaring that others won't engage in real debate.

Funny, funny stuff.  Really.

You have a lovely afternoon, though.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 12:41:03 PM PDT

•  attacks or taunts, which is it that bothers you? (1+ / 0-)
                  tytalus

You like precision in words, so let's be precise.  First it was attacks which bothered you, now it seems to be just "childish taunts".  I'm not taunting, I'm asking.

You call people's actions childish, is that not taunting, or attacking?

And you seem very comfortable dodging my question.  How am I to engage in debate with someone who never debates?

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website